Menu

Where to stay in Charleston, SC?

You won't have beachfront in Charleston proper. Riverfront is a possibility.

I accompanied my husband to a conference held at the Marriott along the Ashley earlier this year. The hotel says it is in the historic district which is technically true, but one really needs to take a shuttle (or walk a distance) to go to most of the tourist attractions.

One of the things to consider is whether you want more beach time (then stay at Isle of Palms) or more town time. Less expensive motels are in Mount Pleasant--but you'll be driving to either the beach or historic sites.

I think the only true beach front hotel is on the Isle of Palms. If you want beach, I'd look there or at one of the condos or beach house on Isle of Palms, Sullivan's Island, or Folly Beach. Charleston is mostly city but you could do a nice B&B with a view of the water but no beach.

What is "not too expensive" to you? Wild dunes has a nice hotel if it's just you and your dh. They also have several packages a available. It is quite a drive into Charleston.

If you want to go to the beach and downtown, I would stay at the newish hotel near Patriot's Point. ( if your entire family is going). You can drive to the beach at Isle of Palms quickly, and there is a great public access with changing rooms and a playground.

You have the ships right there if you want to visit those, and you can walk over the bridge in the evening!

When you want to go downtown, you just go across the bridge and find one of the parking garages.

I can't remember if the hotel is a Hilton or a Hampton, but if you're interested, I'll call my dad and he will know!

We've stayed several times at the Andrew Pinckney Inn in Charleston. It's not beachfront but it is within the historic district and great for walking around the city. We enjoy it since they have a free rooftop breakfast and are within 2 blocks of the main street. We were able to walk everywhere and keep the car parked in their garage. Also, there is a Harris Teeter within a couple of blocks so we were able to get a few noshables to keep in our room rather than constantly eating out.

(I haven't checked prices there lately so I can't speak to how expensive it is this time of year. We go in the off-season so it's cheaper and almost completely deserted).

Edited by runmiarun
One of these days I'll remember the correct name of the hotel-d'oh.

I think the only true beach front hotel is on the Isle of Palms. If you want beach, I'd look there or at one of the condos or beach house on Isle of Palms, Sullivan's Island, or Folly Beach. Charleston is mostly city but you could do a nice B&B with a view of the water but no beach.

:iagree:Paige is right.

If you want a beach vacation, you have to go to a local beach like those she listed above. I grew up there and always preferred Folly Beach because it was less built up and commercialized, but that meant it always had less choices in the way of hotels, so we always rented a house.

If you stay downtown Charleston, you will have to stay in the "city." There are certain pricey bed and breakfasts and inns that offer rooms with views of the water or "The Battery," but there is no sand, no beach to walk along there, etc. It's just a sea wall/ parks with a sidewalk along the water with railings.

Note: There are "brand name" hotels (Sleep Inns, Holiday Inns, etc.) along the interstate leading into the city. You could stay there and just make the drive into the city or to one of the beaches every day. :D

Edited by VBoulden

I will check out these suggestions! What I had in mind was staying at the beach and driving to the city; I should have specified that I was referring to the Charleston area, not Charleston proper. Staying in the city and driving to the beach sounds like a good option too. A co-worker told me the public access beach on the way to Isle of Palms is really nice.

When we visited Charleston, we stayed at the Embassy Suites Historic Charleston Hotel. It is actually the old Citadel Military College. The price seems high, but it includes an unbelievable cooked to order breakfast and nightly manager's reception which we actually used for our dinner most nights. We only had to pay for a heavy lunch for the 6 of us for meals. Being Charleston, it is flat enough to walk to pretty much anywhere you want to visit except the Patriot's Point area. This is the one hotel my kids beg to go back to stay again. I mean, where else can you actually stay in modern comfort in an old fort?