Menu

First Form Latin users... how are the DVDs?

plain jane

I think I'm going to go ahead and purchase my own copy of FF but I'm not sure if I want to spring for the DVDs or not.

Are they better than the LC DVDs? They can't possibly be worse, can they? :tongue_smilie:

Do you feel they add to the program or are they more for a teacher who is not comfortable with the material?

I can't attest to the DVD differences, but we purchase FF this year and have decided it's not going to fit into our schedule. I posted it FS a few days ago if you are interested (you can see the ad in full on the sale board, I think I posted it on the 8th)

And I think you may be able to see a sample of the DVD on the Memoria Press website.

First Form Latin Set (Memoria Press) includes:

~Teacher Manual

~Student Text

~Student Workbook

~Quizzes and Tests Pronunciation CD

~Flashcards

~ DVDs

Blessings,

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

((¸¸.·´ .·´ -:¦:-Tina ~

-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*

http://seasonsoflearning.blogspot.com/

• 2 weeks later...

If you don't want to pay, thereis now a growing free resource of Latin audio-visual material over at the Cursum Latinum - over 270 lessons, that is several DVD's worth of video, of a carefully constructed complete Latin course ( It isn't finished yet, I project it will have over 3000 episodes when the first stage is completed).

After a month and a half online, the course has picked up over 900 subscribers.

So, if you don't want to pay for audio visual Latin materials, start to use the Latinum materials along with your course.

The course uses spoken Latin, but is grammar intensive. Everything is taught using only Latin.

http://www.youtube.com/user/evan1965

We used Latina Christiana I year before last and just started FF this week.

I like them, there is one dvd lesson for each lesson in the book and they last approx. 15 minutes each.

I never used the DVDs for LC because the ones we did see covered English grammar in excruciating detail with only a little Latin instruction.

The FF DVD lessons are more concentrated on a specific latin subject, such as how to conjugate, conjugating one certain tense, and so on.

You could probably teach FF successfully without the DVDs, but I think they are helpful because the instructor will throw in little comments about how he remembers a certain thing, or why something is done a certain way. These extras are not found in the text as far as I can tell.

The DVDs are not ground breaking or anything but dd10 enjoyed them and they did offer little things I would not have thought to interject into the lesson. Just the recitation was good for us...that's why we switched from LFC in the first place. FF has much more practice built in. I love having 5 pages for each lesson! I don't have to think about adding it in myself. It's all there.

Dd's one complaint was that the recitation goes too fast for speaking clearly but she had the same complaint about LFC. I agree...I understand the point of memorizing to the point of automaticity but I think it's a little too fast.