Menu

Ds had a hit and run--what to do now?

Last night Ds, age 17, was driving home from work. It is a five minute trip. He was the third car going through a stop light and a car sitting perpendicular to his street (who obviously had a red light) went forward and hit ds on the rear passenger side door. So, basically, he was hit while going through the intersection as he was going through his green light.

Ds pulled out of the intersection, went to the side of the road, put his hazards on, looked back, and saw the other car drive off. He saw the car was a sedan, but nothing else. Ds was driving a Ford Expedition, so the other car must've had a large jolt--no mistaking that he'd hit ds.

So, ds drives the two minutes back home. We immediately call the police non-emergency number and report the accident. Twenty minutes later a police officer comes to our door. She stated that since ds did not report the accident, there were now two hit and run drivers. She said ds left the scene of the accident, and there was nothing she could do. She asked if he got a license plate or a car description. Well, no. It was dark. The police officer did not ask to see our car. She appeared completely uninterested in the whole incident. I imagine she's not impressed with a teen boy saying an accident is not his fault.

I believe ds's story. Based on where the car was hit, I don't see how he could've done the damage himself and told a different story. He was eager to tell the police his side and appeared to have nothing to hide.

The car is ten years old but in very good condition. I imagine there is over $2K damage on it now. Ds's car insurance rate is now $67/mo., but will go up considerably if he has an accident on his record. I'll call my insurance company and ask them if this is the type of accident that will make his rates go up. (My dd's car was vandalized, and insurance covered this without raising the rates.) We live in Texas and here the car that is determined to be at fault pays for the damages.

So, ds should have stayed at the scene and called police from there. Reporting the accident two minutes after it happened from a different location will not allow a police report to be filed. Although we spoke to a police office in person 30 minutes after the accident, there is nothing to be done. I'm not frustrated at ds, because I didn't realize this either. It makes sense, but I might've gone home too (since we were so close).

Anyone have hit and run experience? (Being the one hit, that is.)

My dh was rear ended 3 blocks from home. They got out, exchanged information, and the other guy left. Dh was so shaken that he forgot he needed a police report for insurance purposes. The officer came but he got an earful about leaving the scene of an accident. Not only could she chose whether or not to write the report, she could also write him a number of tickets on top of it.

Take ds's car to several trusted repair shops. Your insurance agent should be able to tell you some names preferred. Find out first if the car is driveable. Then find out repair costs and what is involved.It may be that ds will have to work and save up the money for the repair before it is fixed. Really, if you can, you do not want this on his insurance because it will stay on there for several years. The cost of increased premiums over that time is most likely going to be more than the cost of the repair. Your insurance company can give you a quote to determine how much.

The operator that answered the police non-emergency call said she thought there was a red light camera there. When we asked the police officer if there was a camera at that light, she insisted there wasn't any at that intersection.

We called the gas station that is on that corner of the intersection, and their cameras do not view that part of the road, either.

The car is ten years old but in very good condition. I imagine there is over $2K damage on it now. Ds's car insurance rate is now $67/mo., but will go up considerably if he has an accident on his record.

For a car that old, I'd just fix it enough to get it functional, not get insurance involved (I don't even keep collision on a car that old), and chalk it up to experience.

What a hassle. Sounds like the other was a drunk driver.

Ds had a similar experience. He was rear ended, the other guy drove off. Son came home, and we called the police. The police officer said he was being nice by not charging ds for leaving the scene. Insurance raised our rates big time since ds left the scene (it was in the report, even though he didn't get a ticket). I wish we'd never reported it, and just fixed it.

So, ds drives the two minutes back home. We immediately call the police non-emergency number and report the accident. Twenty minutes later a police officer comes to our door. She stated that since ds did not report the accident, there were now two hit and run drivers. She said ds left the scene of the accident, and there was nothing she could do.

So, if you don't have a cell phone or are in an area with no coverage, it is automatically a hit and run?

Was he supposed to block the intersection til a police car happened to go by? Was this police officer not old enough to remember driving before cell phones, when we went to the nearest phone to report an accident (which could be miles away)?

For a car that old, I'd just fix it enough to get it functional, not get insurance involved (I don't even keep collision on a car that old), and chalk it up to experience.

What a hassle. Sounds like the other was a drunk driver.

:iagree:

I can't say in every state because I don't know the traffic laws of all of them, but in most state if you leave the scene of an accident you can be charged and fined. Also I know there are laws in some states that say if one does not render assistance at an accident scene on can be charged.

FYI: in the future don't move you vehicle - especially if the other driver leaves. Accident scenes can be recreated with only one vehicle in the place the accident occurred.

There were probably 2 or 3 witnesses who pulled over (or waited if they were on foot) but left when your ds left.

So, if you don't have a cell phone or are in an area with no coverage, it is automatically a hit and run?

Was he supposed to block the intersection til a police car happened to go by? Was this police officer not old enough to remember driving before cell phones, when we went to the nearest phone to report an accident (which could be miles away)?

Yes

Yes

Maybe not

Always stay at the scene until you are released by the officer working the accident. If your vehicle is involved get a witness or passerby to go to the nearest phone and call.

:iagree:

I can't say in every state because I don't know the traffic laws of all of them, but in most state if you leave the scene of an accident you can be charged and fined. Also I know there are laws in some states that say if one does not render assistance at an accident scene on can be charged.

FYI: in the future don't move you vehicle - especially if the other driver leaves. Accident scenes can be recreated with only one vehicle in the place the accident occurred.

There were probably 2 or 3 witnesses who pulled over (or waited if they were on foot) but left when your ds left.

In many states there are actually laws about this, too. If your car is able to be driven it should be moved to the side of the road.

To the OP, I'm sorry this happened. What a hassle. Glad your son is ok.

In many states there are actually laws about this, too. If your car is able to be driven it should be moved to the side of the road.

To the OP, I'm sorry this happened. What a hassle. Glad your son is ok.

Well, see, it is kind of a catch 22. If you move it, you possibly destroy evidence.

Having worked traffic accidents in my former life I can tell you it is definitely better to leave the vehicle where it rests after the accident.

I am confused! It's been a while since I've been in an accident, but I remember being told by the police department that they didn't even respond to a non-injury accident. They would take a report over the phone and that was it. Maybe that was just in our city? Or does the accident being a hit and run change things?

So sorry your son had that experience. I would have thought that he acted appropriately too. Hope he's not feeling too sore today!

Having worked traffic accidents in my former life I can tell you it is definitely better to leave the vehicle where it rests after the accident. __________________

The last time I was in a real accident (with an antelope) about 10 minutes after the antelope ran into me, while my vehicle was stopped in the middle of the road (because it wouldn't move) another car RAN INTO MY CAR. They were not cited at all because my car was in the road!

It was an hour and a half til the police showed up.

Well, see, it is kind of a catch 22. If you move it, you possibly destroy evidence.

Having worked traffic accidents in my former life I can tell you it is definitely better to leave the vehicle where it rests after the accident.

I think the laws in our area have changed some from this. If the road is busy, and your car can be moved, you are expected to move it to the side of the road by the accident area, but no further. You are far enough out of the wayto prevent another accident but not too far from the scene of the accident.

I was rear-ended once on a busy road and the person that rear-ended me stayed but his car had been pushed into my car by a third car that drove off. The damage was eventually covered by uninsured motorist coverage on my insurance but I did get a bit of a run around. My cell phone was dead but the other guy had a cell and called the police. We both pulled over to the side of the road.

I spoke with our State Farm agent who was most helpful. She said that she relayed the details of the accident to an adjuster. The adjuster told her that it would most likely fall under the uninsured motorist category. This would not count against us and would not raise our rates at all. The State Farm adjuster assigned to us would make the uninsured motorist determination. My agent was told that there was a 95% chance that it would be called uninsured motorist. If the adjuster determines otherwise, we can choose not to pursue the claim. Even then, we would not have our rates raised because there was no money paid out to the claim. The deductible for uninsured motorist is $250 under our policy.

The agent said that it was alright that a police report hadn't been filed, but it was important that we had contacted them. (Of course, we know ds should've handled it differently, but she was very non-judgmental about it all.)

We do need to mail a form to the Texas Crash Records Bureau. This was the only helpful thing the police officer provided.

Next time, we will stay at the scene until the police arrive--no matter how close we are from home.

We live in Texas too. Police response time is nonexistent or very slow. My neighbor called once to report a man breaking into our house and it took the police 45 minutes to get here. Of course, by then, the thief, who had been walking, rode away with power tools on our expensive bicycle. He was never caught. So the idea of getting reprimanded for not calling the police over a traffic accident where no one was injured is a joke to me. It is actually standard practice not to call the police over a non-injury accident in our city.