Menu

Are homeschool expenses a tax write off?

We can for a lot of homeschooling expenses in MN, so I would check your state laws.

Lesley

This is a good point--what is deductible on your state income tax may be different from what is deductible on your federal income tax. They are not dedutible for federal income tax, but your state's law may be different.

I don't know about other states, but they are not deductible in GA.

Terri

They are not dedutible for federal income tax, but your state's law may be different.

This is true. There is no federal deduction, but a very few states do have a deduction. You should search your state's income tax information, or you could probably start another thread asking if there is a deduction for Florida, as there are a lot of Florida ladies here. :)

Not in AZ, unfortunately. What I don't 'get' is that a certified teacher can deduct up to $250 of her expenses from her taxes, but not homeschool teachers. Go figure!

A certified teacher is buying for other people's kids, a homeschool teacher is buying for her own kids. I do see the difference.

And if homeschool teachers could, why not parents buying educational material to use after school with their kids?

Not in AZ, unfortunately. What I don't 'get' is that a certified teacher can deduct up to $250 of her expenses from her taxes, but not homeschool teachers. Go figure!

With a classroom school teacher it is part of their work. Businessmen take clients out for tax deductible lunches all the time, you can't deduct feeding your family. Same thing.

Having been married to a teacher who spent many hundreds of dollars each year on his students, I have no problem with it.

The official reason, as pp mentioned, is that it is an employee business expense, not an education expense. If you are not employed as a teacher, you don't need an employee business expense deduction.

A certified teacher who is working full time in a classroom.....just to clarify. Many of us are certified teachers but now homeschool.

Dawn

On the other hand, I don't want the public schools dictating what curriculum I can use either, which is what you would be doing if you send your children to school.

Now, some states DO allow parents to pick curriculum for a homeschool charter. Our current state does not have that. CA did.

Dawn

I just find this funny: we pay property taxes to fund the public schools, we buy all our own curriculum, and then we pay sales tax on at least some of that curriculum probably. What a deal!