Menu

My 6yo has her placement test this morning.

My 6yo has to be tested at the ps this morning to see if she can go into 1st grade (which is what she is age wise and at home.)

I have already decided that if they say she has to go back to K that we will keep her home. I don't anticipate that happening - she can read already, writes sentences, and adds and subtracts.

Well, they put her in 1st grade, but just barely.

She couldn't "read" high enough for them. The problem was that she wouldn't use context clues or the pictures to "guess" the words she didn't know. I won't let her guess! She can read "Hop on Pop" which is a 1.1 level and Go, Dog, Go which is a 1.4, but she couldn't read the book about a boy going to art class that included the words for all the days of the week.

Her writing was okay - she wrote 5 sentences and drew a picture to go with it. She needs to practice her spelling and leaving more space between words.She didn't capitalize the first word consistently, either.

The teacher asked me how we had taught her and the differences in her abilities were directly related to the method used to teach reading. They want her to track each word with her finger, which I don't let her do. We haven't done much original writing, just copywork.

I am not worried that she won't "catch up" but we'll have to work on these things so that she isn't "behind." At the same time, I will make sure she knows her phonograms and spelling rules.;)

They are not going to placement test the other 2 due to their special needs.

She'll be fine Renee. Since I live in the same district as you and my kids have been in school here... I can't help but snicker a little at them. Good grief, this is the same district that did away with all reading tutors for Pete's sake. Just roll your eyes and know your dd can do the work and you'll always be there afterschool...

((hugs))

She'll be fine Renee. Since I live in the same district as you and my kids have been in school here... I can't help but snicker a little at them. Good grief, this is the same district that did away with all reading tutors for Pete's sake. Just roll your eyes and know your dd can do the work and you'll always be there afterschool...

((hugs))

I wondered if all the current first graders (3 weeks in) could read and write at the level she expected. We'll just keep working at the phonics/spelling and not worry so much about them.

I wondered if all the current first graders (3 weeks in) could read and write at the level she expected. We'll just keep working at the phonics/spelling and not worry so much about them.

When I first read your post, I was thinking she sounded just about right for a first grader.

Am I right in thinking they expect a "just entering 1st grader" to write sentences correctly and even capitalize the first letter? Were these dictated sentences or did they tell her to write a story or something. My goodness! My 2nd grader is really ahead and reading and has always been a good student and I wouldn't even begin to expect him to write a story with proper sentence form 100% correctly ...especially with regards to spelling and such. That just seems like a bit much to me. In my area, the poor ps kids can't do most of those things in 4th grade, much less 1st! Hence one more reason we homeschool!

Am I right in thinking they expect a "just entering 1st grader" to write sentences correctly and even capitalize the first letter? Were these dictated sentences or did they tell her to write a story or something. My goodness! My 2nd grader is really ahead and reading and has always been a good student and I wouldn't even begin to expect him to write a story with proper sentence form 100% correctly ...especially with regards to spelling and such. That just seems like a bit much to me. In my area, the poor ps kids can't do most of those things in 4th grade, much less 1st! Hence one more reason we homeschool!

This is what they are expecting in our school district but that is leaving 1st grade not entering. Last year they told my 1st grader that by the end of the year he has to be able to write a paragraph and it was long (or so I thought) 5-8 sentences. He has a hard time with creative writing so it is a problem for us.

Leaving K they should be able to write 4-5 sentences and capitalize the first letter, with a period at the end. These were original sentences. They did not have to spell the words correctly.

Edited by Renee in FL

Leaving K they should be able to write 4-5 sentences and capitalize the first letter, with a period at the end. These were original sentences. They did not have to spell the words correctly.

Renee, she's in good shape, I promise you. As a mom who was about the only volunteer in the dd's K class here... that's the GOAL, not necessarily the reality.That's not what I saw...at all.

I think this is another case where as homeschoolers coming IN, they are a bit more demanding re: having met that goal, though many of their students may not have attained that. Kwim?

Big hugs on her first day!!!!

Whoa. Where I live, the kids don't come out of K reading very much at all, so are definately not expected to know how to write a sentence! Are we lax here in Canada, or what?

Glad to hear your daughter made it in alright. I bet she's actually ahead of many of her peers.

Whoa. Where I live, the kids don't come out of K reading very much at all, so are definately not expected to know how to write a sentence! Are we lax here in Canada, or what?

Not lax, you just don't have a federal law called No Child Left Behind. It's big time pushed our kindergarten from the reading readiness it used to be considered to word recognition/reading.