Menu

Getting a smell out of a shirt

Calvin has a polyester undershirt that he likes to wear as a PJ top. He must have worn it for too many days because I can't get the body smell out of it, even after washing it three times.

Is there anything I can add to the wash to get rid of the smell? Would vinegar work? How would I use it and how much?

Thanks

Laura

I would try soaking in a vinegar solution first. No idea how much--I just throw in about a cup into my front loader and set it on soak. Maybe a cup for a gallon of water in a bucket? Then rinse, then launder as usual. This has helped me get the stink out of dishtowels. Might be worth a try.

Cinder

Now I'm washing it and will put it out to blow in the breeze. Let's hope that it works.

Thanks

Laura

If it doesn't work and you are really desperate, they make special detergent to get the smell out of athletic clothes. Here are reviews of a few of them from Runner's World. My local running store carries something different than those, but it works great.

I've tried all kinds of things because my workout clothes stink: vinegar, borax, baking soda, special athletic washes..none have worked. I might try ammonia. Anyway, the only product that has had some success is by Melaleuca. It's called Sol-u-Mel.

They have a UK branch, so if the vinegar doesn't work I'll look into it.

Laura

My teenage son plays soccer and his clothes are always stinky, especially under the arm pits. My husband's towels can have that body odor smell, too. Here is the solution that works for me. 1 cup vinegar, 2 tablespoons baking soda, regular laundry detergent in hot water rigorous machine cycle. Do not pour the vinegar and baking soda directly on your clothes because it may splotch your clothes. I was told that the stinky smell is bacteria and can become worst if you leave the clothing for days. Obviously, do not wash the stinky clothes with other clothes because the bacteria can spread and the stink can contaminate. You athletic mom's can thank me later. :)

Donna

Bac-out will get out the stink or you can boil it on the stove in Dawn. I do this as a last resort for stinky cloth diapers. You can also add a touch of bleach mixed with detergent in the wash and it won't fade it. I had masses of STINKY shirts from scout camp come home and I needed to wash them with bleach to kill the bacteria causing the stink.