Menu

Too many math supplements?

mjpeter

My older sons use Saxon for math, and we're quite happy with it. I've also recently added a Life of Fred supplement once a week or so.

Here's the problem...I just purchased Math Mammoth for my 7 yo to use with Horizons to make sure we don't have any holes. I really like it. I took a look at some of the 5-7th grade work from Math Mammoth, and I like the slightly different approach they take with some topics. I'm thinking they could work well together.

Anyone use 2 math supplements? I like everything! I think I need to hide my wallet and turn off the computer. :lol:

If you like more than one program as a supplement, it's fine to use both. In fact it's beneficial to go through slightly different approaches when covering the same topic. It enhances the students analytical and problem solving abilities. However, in order not to overload my kids, I select problems from the various workbooks rather than make them do entire exercises from each chapter.

If you like more than one program as a supplement, it's fine to use both. In fact it's beneficial to go through slightly different approaches when covering the same topic. It enhances the students analytical and problem solving abilities. However, in order not to overload my kids, I select problems from the various workbooks rather than make them do entire exercises from each chapter.

My plan is to have them do their regular lesson from Saxon every day, and then do a lesson from Fred on Saturday for "fun." They do consider it fun right now. :)

I'd give a couple of MM worksheets a day and try to compliment their Saxon lesson or cover other areas where I think they need extra work.