Menu

Grammar mistake that makes my ears bleed: "I seen it."

I heard ds1's kindergarten teacher say, "He needs to be by his self." :eek:

A big one around here that makes my ears bleed is when people say, "Where's it at?" It is very common in this area. Dh says it, and I can't help but correct him every time. I know it drives him crazy, but I really don't want my kids to say it. It is painful to my ears. The first time I gave in to my inner grammar Nazi and told dh not to say it that way, he really didn't know the correct way to say it. I had to tell him it should be "Where is it?" And he's a lawyer.

Ack! I've never heard the drowned one used.

I remembered another for me: ridiculous plurals.

People in my town don't go to Wal-mart, they go to Wal-marts. They also don't go to Sonic, they go to "The Sonic", which isn't a plural but is equally strange to me.

My husband pluralizes the word underwear just to pick at me. :D He tells the kids to be sure to pack their underwears. It feels like a screwdriver in the ear.

:lol:

"I seen it!" makes my teeth itch. Yergh.

My (highly educated husband) is from Minnesota. Even 30 years after moving away from his home state, he still uses the local colloquialism, "I borrowed him my (lawn mower, book, etc...)" or "Will you borrow me your (shovel, DVD, etc...)" I didn't believe that anyone else in the world "borrowed stuff" until we travelled to Minnesota to visit his family and heard other people use these expressions. It just doesn't make any sense!

I find this one to be fairly common and I really have to bite my tongue to keep from saying you mean that you lent him your whatever.

I don't correct speech. I really don't. Never. Ever. Unless it's coming out of my child's mouth. I'm not a grammar snob. I make plenty of mistakes myself and few things even bother me (though print is a different story for some reason,) but THIS stabs through me every time I hear it.

"I seen it."

I have to resist replying, "No. No you didn't. You saw it."

I'm in southern Missouri and am assuming it's a local thing. Anyone else suffer through this in your neck of the woods?

Most grammar errors just roll right off me. I'm sure I make them myself in casual conversation. However, there are two mistakes that make my skin crawl. You've named the first one! The other one is using "come" in the past tense. For example, "I come into the house yesterday and I seen...." Ugh, ugh, and double ugh.

A lot of these are not grammar mistakes so much as dialect. But its typical of this board to view different as something less.

"I seen it" is a contracted form of "I've seen it." Axe is pretty freaking obviously dialect.

Really, sometimes I don't know how some of you make it thru the day. Your arms must be so sore from all the self congratulatory back patting you engage in. The superiority complex is painful to behold.

http://www.pbs.org/speak/speech/correct/gatekeeping/

What’s more, the very notion of a single standard of correctness in language is quite recent. “Correctness” is based solely on a purist’s own notion of what is socially or culturally correct: if it's not in, it must be out. A language purist works from a list of exceptions to the rule, ordinary speakers follow a hierarchy of patterns that reveal analogical similarities.

Gatekeepers want to keep insiders in and (perhaps even more important) outsiders out by opening and closing a real or imaginary gate. Many organizations have people or departments whose function is to let you (or lock you) in or out — ticket takers, prison guards, admissions officers, personnel managers and so on. Society also has freelance gatekeepers,who have decided —based on their own strong feelings — that some people or behaviors or beliefs or words are wrong and should be kept out.Gatekeeping is an exercise of authority, even if the authority is only imagined.
Edited by calandalsmom

I seen it, axe, and lookit put my teeth on edge.

I must disagree that axe instead of ask is a dialect thing because I run it across it everywhere. In my opinion, it is simply bad pronunciation. When my dd was little she used to say axe instead of ask. We spent a fair amount of time correcting her pronunciation.

I don't think this thread is about having superior grammar skills. To me it is more of a pet peeve thread. Phrases and words that make you bonkers. No one is saying that they are better then anyone else. At least not that I saw.

A lot of these are not grammar mistakes so much as dialect. But its typical of this board to view different as something less.

"I seen it" is a contracted form of "I've seen it." Axe is pretty freaking obviously dialect.

Really, sometimes I don't know how some of you make it thru the day. Your arms must be so sore from all the self congratulatory back patting you engage in. The superiority complex is painful to behold.

[/i]

I have become less judgmental about a lot of stuff over the years, especially people's speech. As a student of world languages, I realized that speaking patterns change and flow and that is how language is created. I have no problem with that.

However, while some of the above mentioned issues may simply be a matter of dialect, most of them are obvious grammar mistakes. The English language and its American version have distinct sets of grammar rules. Just because a whole region of people speaks a certain way does not make it grammatically correct. "Axe" instead of "ask" may be dialectical, and technically not a grammar issue, but it IS a mispronunciation of the word.

I think it's a little harsh to criticize people for things that genuinely bother them. To me, hearing some of these things feels like fingernails on the chalkboard or fabric between the teeth.

I have become less judgmental about a lot of stuff over the years, especially people's speech. As a student of world languages, I realized that speaking patterns change and flow and that is how language is created. I have no problem with that.

However, while some of the above mentioned issues may simply be a matter of dialect, most of them are obvious grammar mistakes. The English language and its American version have distinct sets of grammar rules. Just because a whole region of people speaks a certain way does not make it grammatically correct. "Axe" instead of "ask" may be dialectical, and technically not a grammar issue, but it IS a mispronunciation of the word.

I think it's a little harsh to criticize people for things that genuinely bother them. To me, hearing some of these things feels like fingernails on the chalkboard or fabric between the teeth.

No it is not a pronunciation issue. It is an accepted pronunciation- by a whole community of people and easily understood by all.

But by all means, continue to use language as a means to elevate yourself above others.

I find language and all of its variations fascinating and fun. I have occassionally worried our national tv schedule will ruin regional speech.

I have occasionally worried our national tv schedule will ruin regional speech.

I've seriously often worried about the same thing. The idea that all of us might someday sound like LA newscasters is frightening. Give me axe over that. I love love love hearing Californier, warsh, and I seen. It's textural, it's interesting. It's the fabric of humanity, really.

Although I must say it's 'way fun' when gatekeepers make errors.

Edited by LibraryLover

I think you are missing the point of the thread. I don't think anyone meant to say that they are superior to anyone else for any reason, let alone they manner in which they speak.

Just because someone may say "axe", it doesn't lessen my opinion of them. I do not think they are less intelligent than I am or that they are uneducated. It just grates on my nerves. That is all.

I don't hold my husband in any less esteem because he says "Where's it at?" like the thousands of other people around here say. It just drives me bonkers to hear it.

I've seriously often worried about the same thing. The idea that all of us might someday sound like LA newscasters is frightening. Give me axe over that. I love love love hearing Californier, warsh, and I seen. It's textural, it's interesting. It's the fabric of humanity, really.

Although I must say it's 'way fun' when gatekeepers make errors.

Im from VA and we have at least 3 relatively distinct dialects there. Now here in IN I don't notice it as much. In my nerdy exploration of dialect I have found some sites with little examples of speech from around the country

http://web.ku.edu/~idea/northamerica/usa/virginia/virginia.htm

http://www.evolpub.com/Americandialects/AmDialLnx.html

If you have not heard it you might enjoy the NPR podcast/ show A Way With Words. their website is www.waywordradio.org IIRC

The funniest story I ever heard about dialects and regional speech....

Years ago I did volunteer work in Appalachia with an organization. THe volunteers came from all over the US. One of the programs this organization ran was preschool. This didn't happen in the preschool I worked at, but one of the others in another town. One of the volunteers was from Boston and had a very heavy accent. So, after he'd been there a while the parents of these Kentucky children were wondering why their kids were talking so funny. Turns out these Kentucky children with their Kentucky accents were picking up this young man's Boston accent. Can you imagine what that must have sounded like?

The funniest story I ever heard about dialects and regional speech....

Years ago I did volunteer work in Appalachia with an organization. THe volunteers came from all over the US. One of the programs this organization ran was preschool. This didn't happen in the preschool I worked at, but one of the others in another town. One of the volunteers was from Boston and had a very heavy accent. So, after he'd been there a while the parents of these Kentucky children were wondering why their kids were talking so funny. Turns out these Kentucky children with their Kentucky accents were picking up this young man's Boston accent. Can you imagine what that must have sounded like?

Love. :D

No it is not a pronunciation issue. It is an accepted pronunciation- by a whole community of people and easily understood by all.

So, if we looked up "axe" in the dictionary, would one of the definitions say "to inquire"?

Or if we look up "ask" would it list an alternative pronunciation as "axe"?

:confused:

There is a segment of my family who uses most of the phrases that have been listed here. Another one they say regularly is "I be's" as in "I be's goin' to the store. Do you need anything?"

One of these family members is always trying to start some sort of business and my husband and I always get her e-mails regarding these ventures. I can't imagine anyone taking her seriously with the amount of spelling and grammatical errors she makes.

Which reminds of A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, when young Francie uses the word 'begat' as she plays on the street with the neighbor children. Her mother only had the bible to read to her. Of course, the other children have no idea what she is talking about and aren't terribly kind about it. lol I guess the heathen street urchins never had the bible read to them.

Conversely, PDG is watching mostly BBC-productions on Netflix these days; occasionally, she uses British pronunciations of common words. (Not sure if she is joking or not...)
Edited by LibraryLover

random but - someone said they didn't like hearing "i'm going to lay down" when someone is going to rest... what's wrong with that?

"Lay" is a transitive verb - it needs a direct object. "That hen will lay an egg." "Lie" is the correct form of the verb when you express the idea of going to rest. "I am going to lie down." "Lie" in this sentence is an intransitive verb - there is no direct object.

I think the whole lie/lay/laid/lain thing about English is extremely confusing and I understand completely how these words get used incorrectly.

For instance:

Laid is the past tense of the transitive verb lay. "He laid down the law."

It is often used before the word "down" so you hear the "d." Now consider if you want to say, "He lay down." The correct verb, the instransitive "lay" is followed by the word "down." The ear hears "laydown" if this sentence is spoken quickly so that the word "lay" sounds like "laid." That means that even if you grow up hearing correct usage of this verb you may still get confused and use it incorrectly.

Who's stinking idea was that?????? I really wish English had evolved differently where this verb is concerned so that it isn't so confusing. Still, it is possible to learn the correct usage and since I am a proofreader by trade and proofhearer by curse, it still bugs me when I hear people say, "I'm going to go lay down.":D

[/i]

You do realize you set yourself up as judge of our character just as much as you accuse us of being judge of others' grammar, right?

Just to clarify, I do not feel I'm better than someone else just because I am aware of a grammar rule and cringe at it's abuse. There are plenty of mistakes to be found in my speech and I'm sure I give someone else bleeding ears. Particularly with the lay/lie thing. I screw that one up every time. And I say the word screw. I try not to because I know it offends, but it's a habit.

Some of my favorite people say "I seen." I don't judge them, even if it does make me cringe. I greatly admire these people, so there is no self-congratulatory carpal-tunnel going on here.

You do realize you set yourself up as judge of our character just as much as you accuse us of being judge of others' grammar, right?

Just to clarify, I do not feel I'm better than someone else just because I am aware of a grammar rule and cringe at it's abuse. There are plenty of mistakes to be found in my speech and I'm sure I give someone else bleeding ears. Particularly with the lay/lie thing. I screw that one up every time. And I say the word screw. I try not to because I know it offends, but it's a habit.

Some of my favorite people say "I seen." I don't judge them, even if it does make me cringe. I greatly admire these people, so there is no self-congratulatory carpal-tunnel going on here.

My thoughts exactly.

If that's how you'd like to look at it, then, sure. Slap a bonnet on my head and call me Hitler. ;)

I thought it was an illogical statement, insult really, without foundation. It didn't offend me. It made me chuckle. The mature thing for me to do would be to keep my amusement to myself. I should have. But I didn't.

My neices children have picked up terrible speech from their backwoods family. Recently, while going to our house for a sleepover, the eldest (8 y.o.) used the "word" you'ns (which they always use to mean all of you-kinda like ya'll.) My dd7 asked her why she said that word (since we don't;).) Her cousin said "Cause there's more than one of you'ns"!:lol:

I explained to her that the word you can be plural but she clearly did not believe me. Auntie is pulling my leg, she seemed to say.

I am also from Southeast Missouri and my husband is more hick than I and I sometimes cannot understand him! Now ain't that a bugger! I don't just think so, I seen it!

Lakota

:iagree:That is one of my all time favorites! I cannot seem to cure my husband of this. He learned it from his parents (who would annoy everyone in this thread with their grammatical mistakes and amusing folksy expressions---like the word 'yous'). He thinks I'm picking on him---but the kids are listening and one of them is beginning to use this lovely expression.

One I see on this board a lot is people asking for 'advise' instead of 'advice'. Depending on my mood I sometimes assume it's a hasty typo. But then I wonder.....

Shannon

Edited to clarify the level of error in the home: My husband does not use the word 'yous' (as his parents do). I don't think I could live with that in the house! He does use the expression 'shoulda went' or even 'shoulda did'. Drives me nuts!