Menu

Resource for Creating HS Transcripts? HS Planners?

Which resource, if any, do you use to help you in putting together your HS transcripts? Still trying to figure out how credits are determined. Our local HS lists 5 credits per course, whereas some other sites I've seen just award 1 credit per course. Is there a standard to follow in terms of hours to which I can adhere?

Oh, and I have another question...do any of your children use student planners? If so, which would you recommend? My dd is having trouble keeping track of her assignment/project due dates and extra-curricular activities.

TIA!

Patty

We implemented planners this year. On Monday morning we go over the week's schedule, assignments, etc. On Friday, we record a journal entry of our accomplishments, improvements, or just general thoughts about how well we did that week. Both my kids and I are doing this in order to become better organized and more goal driven. And, it helps me to know when and where I'm needed for teaching, transportation, etc.

Each of us has a binder with various worksheets including weekly assignments, a calendar for more long term assignments, appointments and things, syllabuses, and goals. My planner also includes records/evaluations of work completed. I created the worksheets myself so I can tweak them as needed. For me, this works better than any of the planners available for purchase.

Which resource, if any, do you use to help you in putting together your HS transcripts? Still trying to figure out how credits are determined. Our local HS lists 5 credits per course, whereas some other sites I've seen just award 1 credit per course. Is there a standard to follow in terms of hours to which I can adhere?

There is no standard. I think most states give 1 credit per course per year; some give 1 per semester, 2 per year per course; California does 10 credits a year per course. You should find out what the norm is in your state and go with it.

Most people will give their dc credit when they complete a textbook-based course, regardless of how many hours it took. You're more likely to want to count hours if you're giving your dc credit for something that isn't done in a textbook, such as drama (dc is involved with local theater group), or sports (dc is a competitive gymnast). Barbara Shelton's high school book discusses how to give credit (and grades) for courses that are not textbook based.