Menu

Adopting a dog from a free site?

Would you do it? There is a family giving away their 4 month old pup due to allergies. I have been searching petfinder for weeks and am looking for a med. size dog good with young kids and small dogs. Most dogs around here are very large or beagles. I have found a pup (though I really would prefer a dog) and the lady says that the parents are calm and the pup will grow to be med. size.

She isn't a puppy mill operator etc. Though I would much rather support the SPCA, this pup needs a home too. She said that she hasn't had hiim to a vet yet but he is healthy. That is a concern to me.

What do you think? Crazy? And it will take me several hours to drive to to meet her (she is willing to drive part way as we live quite a distance from each other).

I am concerned that she hasn't asked me anything about myself. She doesn't seem to want to know what kind of a family he is going to.

It doesn't make sense - what she's telling you I mean. She seems to know the disposition of the parents, suggesting they might be her own dogs, but they have to give away a 4 mo old because of allergies? And then they say it hasn't been to the vet??? If they're giving it away free, I'm not sure what's in it for them to be dishonest about all of this, but it just sounds strange. Dogs are usually much easier to find at shelters than puppies are. So many people are giving up their pets due to the economy, that I'm surprised that there aren't any up for adoption. Have you put your application in with a few shelters? It may take a while for a dog to come in who fits your requirements, but I think it would be the better way to go.

Well, I don't know. Could it be she found she can not afford the dog and is desperate to place him?

I would "insist" she take the puppy in for a wellness exam at a vet of YOUR choosing. You could ask someone on this site for a vet recommendation for the city in which she lives.

Call the vet up front to lay the situation out and see if s/he would be willing to work with the expenses of it. She should pay for the bill regardless of whether you take the pup or not.

This may give you peace of mind....info coming from a vet.

HTH. Sheryl <><

Yes. But I'd be very careful.

We bought our Golden when she was 4 months old from a gal in the local paper who said she and her family worked separate shifts and didn't have time for her. When I went there, I fell absolutely, madly in love with the dog, and their story made sense. We didn't find out until a few years later (and healing had taken place) that she had somehow broken her pelvis and what they didn't have time for was a crippled dog. I do believe that the people we bought our dog from loved animals, but it was hard to endure all the issues that stemmed from that fracture after we had grown to love the dog as a member of our family; it was hard to watch her decline.

I would buy again from an ad in the paper, but this time I would be sure to get a vet check (and gladly pay for it if need be) before I brought it home.

I really would love to support one of the shelters, and we have begun volunteering at one of the shelters in the city. I know that if I am patient we will likely find our new best friend that way, but patience has never been a virtue of mind :)

I have put applications in and been accepted at various locations, but I'm in Canada. One dog was in the US and I worked to find a way to get it into Can. but couldn't find a way to get her across two states. So we had to let the shelter giver her to someone else :(

We were accepted for another dog one province over and then they did a food aggression test on her before we went to pick her up and they felt that she was too aggressive that way to be with a little dog and young child :(

The woman is from a very remote and rural area. So for that reason I can see why the pup has not been vet checked. For one, it would mean a bit of driving for her, and second, in very remote areas such as this particular area, I just don't think all people schedule regular vet visits.

I'm just nervous that after only having the pup for a couple of months they are ready to give it up. That part just seems too fishy. Before getting a pup how can people not realize they work all day or are allergic????? The ad has over 800 hits but the pup is still there. The remote location probably has something to do with that but that also makes me wonder.

I'm just nervous that after only having the pup for a couple of months they are ready to give it up. That part just seems too fishy. Before getting a pup how can people not realize they work all day or are allergic?????

Well, I've seen a lot of people get pets and realize similar things (it's even come up on this board).

If you're up for a day in the country, why don't you go out and see the dog? You can conduct a simple personality test. http://www.howtodothings.com/pets-and-animals/a3924-how-to-do-a-puppy-personality-test.html I don't think these tests are infallible but they do give you an idea of what the puppy is like naturally.

Also you can see for yourself if he has fleas, etc. This article has a few signs of health listed that you can look for. http://www.dog-adoption-and-training-guide.com/choosing-a-puppy.html As the article points out though, some hereditary diseases don't show up for 1 - 3 years. A breeder will give you a health guarantee which would allow you to return the dog. A family like this, probably not. Personally, I have a hard time with the idea of giving back a dog with ill health after such a long time with the family. I tend to commit to raising a dog through thick and thin, just as I would a baby born into the family. But it is an issue because of cost and impact on the family.

Jean I feel the same about my pets as you do. If I were to take the pup and he were sick, of course, I would do everything to treat him. Pets are family members in our house.

To go and visit the pup would entail at least a 4 1/2 hour trip with a portion of that being some fairly tricky, slow driving. With two kids and a small dog in the car with a return trip to look forward to, I really want a fairly good idea that we will come home with the dog. I wish it wasn't so far as I definitely would go and see him first.

I think I will either ask her to have him vet checked or hope someone else closer makes him a good home :(

Thanks everyone

I mentioned my concerns to her and she suggested on her own that she would take him to the vet and show me the papers. I feel better about that.

She says he is a terrier and will be a medium sized dog. He looks more like irish setter mix or lab to me. Any guesses? http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f205/PeabodyPhotos/5374bei_20.jpg

I can do a puppy again though I was really more interested in a dog. But look at those eyes!

I mentioned my concerns to her and she suggested on her own that she would take him to the vet and show me the papers. I feel better about that.

She says he is a terrier and will be a medium sized dog. He looks more like irish setter mix or lab to me. Any guesses? http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f205/PeabodyPhotos/5374bei_20.jpg

I can do a puppy again though I was really more interested in a dog. But look at those eyes!

He looks like he'd be part Brittany spaniel because of the freckles.