Menu

Please share what are you using for 3rd grade Grammar & Writing?

BlessedMom

CLE LA 3, CLE Reading 3 and a daily 4 sentence summary of a bible story from the R&S Bible 3 reader

You can read all the CLE posts on why I love it

For the writing - right now we're just focusing on pencil to paper. We'll build up to a page summary a day. Nothing fancy. Later in the year I will use Imitations in Writing Fables for writing.

Would you please share what you are using or have used for 3rd grade Grammar and Writing and the pros and cons of each?

Thanks you for your time.

Grammar-none! We cover a lot of grammar later, just don't need to do it now.

Writing: WWE Easy to use, and works.

Heather

Guest ME-Mommy

I've used a lot of stuff over the years with 3 different kids...but the program I liked the most (and still use) is Shurley Grammar.

There are 5 assignments/week -- with the fifth assignment generally involving some type of journal writing.

My kids enjoy the jingles and they have learned/retained a lot more than with other programs.

We are using Phonics Road Level 3. We got through Level 2 last year but this year I think we'll only get through half of Level 3.

Pros: Very thorough, explains grammar well - even I get it now!

Cons: Very teacher intensive and time consuming which is why we are only doing half a days work in one day. Half the scheduled work still takes us an hour.

MCT...which we just started, so I can't say much beyond I like how it looks. This is my fun new curriculum choice for the year. We were giggling over it today, so we are enjoying it so far.

IEW SWI A - this we will do for the first month or two of school.

When we finish IEW...

For writing:

We will switch into TOG Writing Aids and various supplements I have on hand. I will probably still have her use some IEW ideas in her assignments.

Supplementing with WWE2 - I use this partly to help with comprehension because of the idea of the child learning to keep the material in his/her mind.

For grammar:

I will also add Shurley 3 which we will take two years to complete and we will probably only do the grammar portion.

Sounds like a lot of curricula, but I use them for different reasons. If only someone would combine these approaches into one curriculum--but no one has, so I'm doing it myself. :001_smile:

R&S plus: Writing Aids, my own instruction, copywork + dictation, Writing Strands

R&S PROS: solid program, especially when used in conjunction with all levels in elementary school

CONS: boring like the desert is dry and hot, even when used in halves

Writing Aids - PROS gentle, but efficient; often associated with history lessons; comes with nice teacher instruction and grading rubics

cons: I wanted a little more structure in my presentation and the expectations for my students. We'll return to WA in high school, after we complete Write Shop

Copywork + dictation PROS: does develop nice sentence writing and memory skills; however, we needed more instruction on actual sentence formation and paragraph compilation

Writing strands: seemed easy to follow directions, but never got our interest or inspired us to be better writers

NOW, I use the Phonics Road and I love it. PROS: Grammar is thorough and introduction through writing covers dictation and outstanding instruction in parts of speech. It introduces outlining, note taking, researching, summarization and paragraph structure.

CONS: You really have to cover the breadth of the program over the years in order to reap the full benefits, as it truly builds a student to becoming an outstanding writer. (One could get a solid bit of grammar from any of the years as a stand alone subject area.) If you can stay patient, it is SO IMPRESSIVE, but many people might see building process as a con. It's also very costly, although I find it worth every penny and then some.

I used Abeka for 3rd grade grammar and Writing Strands for writing. I liked Abeka but I found the way instructions were given in WS was confusing to my dd, so I switched to Rod & Staff when ds hit 3rd. R&S has a lot of writing in it, so I don't add a formal curriculum to it, but we do writing projects from readwritethink.org that I find interesting. Right now we're working on a persuasive writing paper for example.