Menu

planning lunches

I'm having a hard time with lunch at the moment. I've always relied heavily on left overs for lunch. Or grazing off of what ever fruits and odds and ends are hanging around. But as my children have grown, so have their appetites- there aren't so many left overs anymore. Right now we're doing school, and somewhere late in the morning everyone starts saying there hungry and there's nothing fixed! I need cheap and easy ways to feed them lunch.

We can't really do sandwiches and wraps like I see recommended a lot. We can do a meat or cheese and fruits and veggies. Right now my thoughts are:

cheese, baby carrots and sugar snap peas

salad

(one of my children will rebel at both of these, because of texture- makes her gag)

Roast or chicken: cook in advance have meat cut up in fridge ready to eat, could use on salads. Not exactly cheap.... cheaper ideas?

Hamburgers. Everyone's bored with them, but hey it's food.

baked potatoes

I'm having a hard time with lunch at the moment. I've always relied heavily on left overs for lunch. Or grazing off of what ever fruits and odds and ends are hanging around. But as my children have grown, so have their appetites- there aren't so many left overs anymore. Right now we're doing school, and somewhere late in the morning everyone starts saying there hungry and there's nothing fixed! I need cheap and easy ways to feed them lunch.

We can't really do sandwiches and wraps like I see recommended a lot. We can do a meat or cheese and fruits and veggies. Right now my thoughts are:

cheese, baby carrots and sugar snap peas

salad

(one of my children will rebel at both of these, because of texture- makes her gag)

Roast or chicken: cook in advance have meat cut up in fridge ready to eat, could use on salads. Not exactly cheap.... cheaper ideas?

Hamburgers. Everyone's bored with them, but hey it's food.

baked potatoes

Can you cook bigger batches of dinner to have leftovers for lunch the next day?

Some quick lunch ideas that seem to work for our kids (but they are younger) are:

eggsalad, fruit and a grain product (bread, crackers)

tuna salad

turkey/cheese wraps

from scratch stove top macaroni and cheese (this is VERY fast and quick)

mini pizzas made from sprouted english muffins

quesadillas w/ sourcream and salsa

premade soups, frozen in individual 1-cup serving containers

homemade burritos, individually packaged and stored in the freezer

all that being said, I need to be better about lunches around here too!!! :D

There have been a bunch of threads on this. It's easy for me to find them because I always mention tostones.

Here is a post of mine from one of the recent threads:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165203

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163722

I won't copy and paste anyone else ideas but here are some of my own posts from those threads:

I have some nifty containers with their own icepacks. They are made by Fit & Fresh. I purchased mine at Ross, where they are less expensive. They *often* have them. I like them because some things do need to be kept cold.

Typical things we might tote with us:

Tomato and olive salad, hummus (very easy to make!), pita bread (you could do carrots or cucumber slices for the low carb aspect)

Sandwiches, slices of fruit, laughing cow cheese, an avocado

PB & banana whole wheat tortilla pinwheels, string cheese, tangerines

Things you can easily buy and/or assemble from the store:

fresh bread, cheese, fruit, already cut up veggies

Oh! And if you haven't looked at it before, check out the Vegan Lunch Box blog. She has *loads* of great ideas.

More links for ideas:

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/...les.asp?id=222

http://www.laptoplunches.com/ideas.html

http://www.flickr.com/groups/laptop_lunches/

http://www.schoolfoodtrust.org.uk/co...?ContentId=505

Here are a few threads that contained lunch ideas. It comes up a lot! :D Hope this helps!

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forum...ad.php?t=35373

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forum...ad.php?t=66061

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forum...ad.php?t=59361

I've posted this list before: :)

If you'd like a recipe for anything just let me know!

Most of these are easy and nutritious and many are fairly low in cost.

tostones, black beans and rice (I've posted my tostone and black bean recipes here before)

peanut butter and banana pinwheels (ie wrapped in a tortilla and sliced)

tortellini with parmesan

veggie "sushi"-this is not real sushi, you take bread, cut off the crust, roll it out, spread it with cream cheese, put slices of carrot and cucumber inside, roll it up and slice it.

Baked Potatoes

Tomato Soup and Grilled Cheese sandwiches

Hummus, Pita Bread and tomato/cucumber/onion/black olive relish stuff

Baked Potato Soup

mini quiches (these are super easy to make and freeze to re-heat at lunch time!)

bean burritos with avocados and chips with salsa

bean and polenta pies (put a slice of polenta in a ramekin and a red and black bean/onion mix inside topped with a little cheese and bake)

homemade mini pizzas and pineapple

funny-face egg salad sandwiches (open face sandwiches served with carrot sticks, slices of pepper, sliced olives, anything that the kids can use to make faces)

homemade waffles with bacon (the kids LOVE this for lunch! but I do it rarely)

flautas (from frozen) with cheese cubes and 7 layer dip

ham and cheese bagels

corn chowder

wontons (yes, they are a lot of work for lunch but I love them, they are delicious and sometimes I want them!) and rice

chili/cornbread pie

pasta salad

broccoli and cheese soup with rolls

aloha mini-cheeseburgers-I mix crushed pineapple with the meat and make small patties, cook them on the griddle and add a slice of sharp cheddar to the top then serve on hawaiian sweet rolls. I like baked sweet potato fries on the side.

veggies, bread cubes and cheese fondue

15 bean soup and cornbread

Can you cook bigger batches of dinner to have leftovers for lunch the next day?

Some quick lunch ideas that seem to work for our kids (but they are younger) are:

eggsalad, fruit and a grain product (bread, crackers)

tuna salad

turkey/cheese wraps

from scratch stove top macaroni and cheese (this is VERY fast and quick)

mini pizzas made from sprouted english muffins

quesadillas w/ sourcream and salsa

premade soups, frozen in individual 1-cup serving containers

homemade burritos, individually packaged and stored in the freezer

all that being said, I need to be better about lunches around here too!!! :D

Well... I used to be able to cook enough for left overs, but here lately when I think I've made enough to feed an army there's nothing left. They're going through growth spurts or something. LOL

We're gluten free, mostly grain free, can't do beans nut or soy, and only have dairy once every 4 days because of allergies. I have one with some serious texture issues and everything makes her gag. It's getting to where I dread meal planning.

Edited by SeekingSimplicity

Right now the hits at my house are:

frozen go-gurt (not highly nutritious, I suppose, but the kids pack their lunches and these melt a bit by lunch and they work out really well!)

applesauce cups (you can get large containers and just serve small dishes of it... I get the natural kind without sugar)

home-made lunchables (my kids always ask for lunchables, so we make our own now and it works out great!)

tortilla wraps

sauteed portabello mushrooms, a bit of cheese melted and in a sandwich or pita!

I buy packages of skinless boneless chicken breasts at the grocery store for my 14yo.

She pounds them with a mallet and then spices them up and freezes them on plastic wrap on a baking tray. Once they're frozen, she puts them in a gallon-sized ziplock.

All she has to do when she's hungry is microwave one of the chicken breasts for one minute and then put it in the Foreman grill until it's done.

She's done a variety of spicing jobs:

garlic powder, salt, pepper, paprika

cumin, coriander, salt, pepper, paprika

5-spice, salt, pepper, paprika

She's used other spice mixes too, but always has salt, pepper, and paprika.

Right now the hits at my house are:

frozen go-gurt (not highly nutritious, I suppose, but the kids pack their lunches and these melt a bit by lunch and they work out really well!)

I'm thinking on the frozen yogurt. My kids (except the one with the overactive gag reflex) eat greek yogurt with a little agave or honey. Miss Gagsalot had been on antibiotics and I'm trying to figure out how to get her to eat yogurt. I'm wondering if the 'good bugs' still work once it's frozen? She might could eat it frozen, the texture would be different.

I buy packages of skinless boneless chicken breasts at the grocery store for my 14yo.

She pounds them with a mallet and then spices them up and freezes them on plastic wrap on a baking tray. Once they're frozen, she puts them in a gallon-sized ziplock.

All she has to do when she's hungry is microwave one of the chicken breasts for one minute and then put it in the Foreman grill until it's done.

She's done a variety of spicing jobs:

garlic powder, salt, pepper, paprika

cumin, coriander, salt, pepper, paprika

5-spice, salt, pepper, paprika

She's used other spice mixes too, but always has salt, pepper, and paprika.

That's a good idea!

I would really like some make ahead lunches, something that is in th freezer ready to heat up, or something that I can throw in the oven or slow cooker and have ready by lunch.

I'd like to do that too. That's why I was thinking something like roast, put it in the crockpot and it'd be ready for lunch. Or have cooked in advace with portions put away. I'd love to cook meals for lunch in the crock, but I don't have that many recipes.