Menu

Should I tan?

What should I do?  

1. 1. What should I do?

• Embrace the paleness
    • Go tanning - a couple times can't hurt
    • Do the spray tanning
    • Other :)

I've never purposefully tanned in my life, and I never thought I would. I'm the matron of honor in a wedding in a month, and I just tried on my dress. I look pale. I'm talking I can see my blue veins through my skin pale. I'm showing skin that hasn't seen the sun in 6 years. I'm afraid the the camera flashes and photos being taken outside are just going to make the problem appear worse.

I'm thinking about going tanning a few times. I don't want to get dark, just a little less see through.

I'm usually so careful with my skin that this feels stupid, but then my mind keeps going back to how I looked in that dress. :001_huh:

I thought about that professional spray tanning, but then I think the chemicals must be worse for me than the tanning, especially since I'm breastfeeding.

Any thoughts? Poll options to follow.

If you've been tanning before, do you have any advice? How many visits would it likely take?

ETA - I usually wear elbow length shirts, so my forearms have some color. You can definitely see the difference between my lower and upper arms.

Edited by Annie

DO NOT go tanning. You don't know how your body could react to all those rays. In fact, a friend of mine had some allergic reaction to getting all those rays at once. She broke out in a horrible rash. The rash portion turned white and she was a blotchy mess. Her skin didn't got back to normal until about 6 months later.

I vote for using a bronzer or self-tanner, IF you feel that uncomfortable.

I am of Filipino decent and tan easily, WHEN I am out in the sun. These days, I am awfully white. I hated all self-tanners until I bit the bullet and tried Faux Tan by Bare Escentuals. That does NOT give an orange glow!! :D

DO NOT go tanning. You don't know how your body could react to all those rays. In fact, a friend of mine had some allergic reaction to getting all those rays at once. She broke out in a horrible rash. The rash portion turned white and she was a blotchy mess. Her skin didn't got back to normal until about 6 months later.

That's a good point. With just a month to go until you're on display yu may not want to risk doing something that you've never done before since you can't be sure of the results.

I wouldn't bother. I was in my brother's wedding in a beach town where all the other bridesmaids were tanned beach girls. I am very pale and even with several coats of spray tan in the pictures I looked extremely pale next to everyone else. I don't think I looked unattractive- just pale. Actually, in contrast, I think a lot of the other girls looked over tanned next to me. If I had to do it again, I would skip the spray tan because I doubt it made much difference because I stuck out so much even with it. It was a waste of my time and money because even with a tan I am pale! I was also pregnant and with the extra blood flow I could have been a live model for the circulatory system because my veins were so prominent against my pale skin at the time. It didn't show up in pictures.

My 11yo dd portrayed a prehistoric Indian character for the local and state fair living history competitions. Since we are, in her words, a pasty sort of folk, I agreed to let her get a spray tan.

The product used was made from sugar cane derivatives and was hypo-allergenic. The salon owner applied it with a device that looked like an air brush. She had no ill effects and it looked great for about 3 days. It was a bit blotchy when it began to fade, but she didn't care.

It cost about $15 to have it applied. IMO, too pricey for frequent use, but fine for a couple of once in a lifetime, special occasions.

I stopped using tanning beds around 15 years ago. I stopped sun bathing around 6 years ago.

But this summer my DH begged me to sun bath. He really likes me dark tanned. Well I only laid out a few times and at least got rid of glow in the dark white. But started getting new moles and stuff. I would rather have Lilly white skin without moles and age spots:tongue_smilier:

But I did start using Jergen's self tanner for fair skin. It works well I apply before bed each night and I am no longer pale. I don't look orange but it does not have the same shade of brown that the sun give me. It absorbs in the skin like a moisturizer so it does not stain clothing/sheets.

I am 40 and really just want to preserve my skin. I am told I look younger all the time. I am guessing staying out of the sun has helped preserve me and also some good genetics.

http://www.consumersearch.com/sunless-tanning

Edited by Cafelattee
add link

Alright, I think you have convinced me to embrace the pasty white shoulders and legs. I might look around and see if I'm comfortable with the ingredients in any of the spray tans, but I'll probably chicken out since I'm nursing.

Thank you! Maybe I'll post a picture if I'm brave enough.

Edited by Annie

I voted other. I suggest you move to Boston. There are lots of palefaces there. That was the one thing I was thrilled about when I moved there from Atlanta decades ago.

Meanwhile, I suggest you find a non-natural way to solve the problem. Using the sun will result in wrinkles, spots and perhaps even cancer, as you age. I used to know two women who were best friends, spent lots of time at the beach, and had the same coloring. One used sunscreen and wore hats, no matter what. She was 38, but she looked like she was in her early 30s. The other tanned herself to a fare-thee-well and looked like she was in her mid-40s. She was only 32.

There's a moral to this story somewhere.

Edited by RoughCollie

I'm not a really pale person, but my sister was married in April, so by that time of year, my natural summer tan from swimming had faded completely away. She had us all in these hideous periwinkle dresses that did nothing for me or my other sister. We tried some of the self tanning cream, and while it certainly didn't look natural, it was definitely better than the paleness with the periwinkle. I think if you do spray tanning or fake tanning for this one event, it will be okay.

I would go to a good cosmetics counter and try some powder bronzer. They can help you find a good color.

I am fair skinned but tan easily due to a genetic mix of Norwegian and Native American.

I end up with a farmer's tan every year just from everyday t-shirts/shorts. When I dress up, I use a powder bronzer to even out my skin tone. It makes a huge difference. It takes me 10-15 minutes to blend it all in and then to softly wipe off any excess. I figure it is less time that driving to a salon, is only on the top of my skin and showers off that night. I have had many photos taken in bare shoulder dresses with this method and it looks great. No farmer tan and just a light healthy glow.

By going to the cosmetics counter they can let you try the different colors and you can leave to see it in the day light, even snapping some pictures if you want to see the effects. Then if you like it, go back and purchase (just make sure to have the write it down for you, less you forget and have to start over.)

Edited by Tap, tap, tap