Menu

If I use TT all the way will it prepare them for college?

Of those two I'd use TT over Saxon. Although I don't have personal experience with either at the high school level, I do have several friends who have done one or the other. I have seen so many who successfully use Saxon in the elementary and middle school implode in high school. Of course it might work better with a DIVE cd or other teaching tool but so many who counted on using Saxon all the way through ended up scrambling for something else in high school.

I do believe TT will be fine for college prep. There are a few drawbacks. First, once you get to high school you'll need to stick with it or at least be very aware of their different layout. They save some topics that are typically taught earlier for later levels. I think you can get specifics from TT directly. This can be a problem if you want to switch programs or if you don't cover those topics before you might need them for standardized testing. This could come into play with math pre-requisites for your science program as well but I think as long as you keep Physics for 12th grade you should be fine. If you want to do Physics in 11th and are in pre-calc I would recommend you check into the math requirements and what has been covered. Again it should be ok but just in case.

Heather

I used Saxon in High School and did very well with it. I know a guy (my age) who was homeschooled with Saxon math and he's now an engineer. He felt that Saxon prepared him very well for college math. I've read reviews from people who had good experiences with either program. I'd recommend going with whichever program suits your student best. :)

My 16 yo has used TT Algebra 1, Geometry & Algebra 2 and is in college Trig right now (I gave him the choice of doing TT Precalc or going to the CC and he chose the college.)

He's in his 3rd week and doing fine (says he hopes she picks up the pace soon). I'll be sure to update when he gets his grade. :001_smile:

My 16 yo has used TT Algebra 1, Geometry & Algebra 2 and is in college Trig right now (I gave him the choice of doing TT Precalc or going to the CC and he chose the college.)

He's in his 3rd week and doing fine (says he hopes she picks up the pace soon). I'll be sure to update when he gets his grade. :001_smile:

That's really awesome to hear!

We just started TT this year...TT5. We only just started school this week, so we've only done the first two lessons so far, but my daughter loves it. She begs to do math every day lol. It seems like a great curriculum to me and I love how they make it so easy to understand and explain it so well by showing and telling what they are doing and so on.

As long as it keeps working for us and my daughter keeps enjoying it, we'll continue to use it.

It's good to see someone say that their child used it in the late teens and got into college no problems! But I figured worst case scenario if the time came and she felt she needed extra tutoring for anything, we'd deal with it. In the meanwhile, during these earlier years especially, if math could be "fun" and as stress free as possible, and come across as "easy" enough to boost her confidence (rather than something else causing her to develop a "math is hard, I'm no good at math" kind of attitude), then GREAT! That's exactly what I want in a math curriculum! And with TT, I think we've found it!

:)