Menu

Someone tell me about OM

I have been cruising along with a basically traditional method of hsing (Hewitt Homeschooling) and lately have been hearing the siren song of Oak Meadow, but know very little about it.

My girls are doing (more or less) 6th grade and my boy is doing (more or less) 4th grade.

Is OM fairly traditional in the upper grades? What do you like about OM? What do you not like?

I'm pondering whether the reason I am drawn to OM is the idea of having less to buy/acquire each year........... less planning to do........... etc. I think that I've been homeschooling long enough that I'm just tired of planning and want to just buy a secular "box-type" curriculum.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

We've used some subjects. I'd say yes it is traditional in the upper levels. What I like are the discussion ?'s which are usually thoughtful and pertinent, the planned weeks and the extra projects and writing assignments. There are just enough of good projects to choose from to make the course not so text -bookish.

If you go this route be sure to call and order the answer keys. They aren't available on the web site and are needed for answers!

Thank you.

I figure I have a year to decide what I want to do..... we are happily entrenched in our Hewitt stuff........ I'll probably stick with it......... but OM sure calls to me sometimes.

I've also searched this board and am reading all I can about others who are using OM. Lots to think about there. :001_smile:

I have been cruising along with a basically traditional method of hsing (Hewitt Homeschooling) and lately have been hearing the siren song of Oak Meadow, but know very little about it.

My girls are doing (more or less) 6th grade and my boy is doing (more or less) 4th grade.

Is OM fairly traditional in the upper grades? What do you like about OM? What do you not like?

I'm pondering whether the reason I am drawn to OM is the idea of having less to buy/acquire each year........... less planning to do........... etc. I think that I've been homeschooling long enough that I'm just tired of planning and want to just buy a secular "box-type" curriculum.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

We are using OM6 (have used 4, 5, 6 and PreK, K). I could go on and on, but instead I'll point you to the OM forum that Martha and I set up. It is an offshoot of the OM social group here. It has grown a lot in just the first couple of months. You'll find lots of info there. Everyone is using OM and there are tons of questions already in the archives that will help answer yours. You can read all the grade level forums without registering, but if you'd like to join to post, it is free. Give us a half day or so to approve you. We're all in the throes of getting back to school. :001_smile:

I really love the science for all ages. We've done OM 2 & 5 and I have my plans finished for OM 3 & 6 so I've been all through the books.

Again, I love the discussion questions, the way they encourage the child to really think about things and relate it to their own life. The experiments are easy to do (OM has been around since 1975 dealing exclusively with homeschoolers all that time so they know what we need, want and have on hand.)

They do conform to state standards so even though they are a bit loose in the early years they still cover everything a child that age would do. There is a lot of writing in the older grades but that is a good thing. They also have ideas for crafts or art projects to go along with thing as well.

It is considered a holistic education since it hits the child from all sides. :001_smile: