Menu

how much of my child's work should I read to him

I have a 3rd son (8 years old) and he struggles over many of the words in story problems in math, directions and some sentences in spelling, grammar work, etc. How much of it should I read to him? Up to this point I have told myself that as long as he understands what he needs to do once the words are read, it's ok for me to read a lot of the words. But now I am wondering if writers of many curriculums try to write them in the reading level the kids should be at thus meaning my son isn't reading at his level. Did that all make sense?

I,too, have a struggling reader. I usually ask him to make a stab at reading story problems, etc., but if he has trouble I step in quickly. I don't want other subjects to become reading nightmares for him.

I don't know if all curriculum is checked to be on grade level. I, too, am concerned about ds's reading being below level.

I think it depends on the frustration level. It can be such a fine line sometimes. You probably have a good feel for when he is able to read, even if it's a slow process, and when he is starting to really struggle.

I would push a bit, but not to the point that he is constantly struggling and becoming frustrated. Maybe focus more on his reading and reading aloud abilities, less on his always having to read the directions.

Do you do read alouds? This was always a good way for me to help my son since he wasn't a very strong reader. We would sit on the bed and take turns reading to each other. It was fun and a good way for me to help him. Having an exciting story to focus on made it easier too.

Phonics and Reading instruction time is when you need to worry about practicing his reading. I read all instructional material, word problems, directions, etc. to my dd7 unless she wants to read it herself. Once she is reading fluently, without having to struggle to sound out\decode words and can concentrate completely on comprehension, I will let her read her own instructional material, etc.

My dd was a late reader too. I would sit by her and put my finger under the word and she had to try to read it, if she stumbled I would read that word and then put my finger under the next one. After helping her read it that way I would repeat whatever was just read. It worked. She's 9 now and can read almost everything herself. Every now and then she will come to me if she's stuck on a word, but for the most part she reads everything herself. I just kept telling her that I knew once she mastered reading she would be my best reader, she has lived up to my expectations. At the beginning of last year she still could barly read, now she reads ALL the time!

HTH

Melissa

I still read directions, literature books, etc. with my daughter who is *13*!! She doesn't have a reading disability, but she wants to skim over her reading so that she can finish quickly (she has ADD). I force her to slow down by reading each and every word with her. I'm not thrilled that we have to do this, but it really is a good solution for us.

My ds almost 13 is a delayed reader, possibly dyslexic. I read a lot of things to him. Last year I started handing off a few more subjects, like science. His comprehension is well above his reading level and I didn't want to hold him back in all areas because of the reading delay. Last year I purposely chose a science text that had big writing, short chapters, and questions at the end. We did the questions orally so I could make sure he understand what he had written.

We used LOF for math last year. I read it to him and we did the problems together. He gets math and doesn't need the repetition of multiple problems. This year I'm going to add in a little more as his responsibility.

Part of the reason I continue to do this is that he is an only child. He doesn't want to be off on his own doing work, he likes the interaction and discussion time. I do too, it's bonding time for us.

I But now I am wondering if writers of many curriculums try to write them in the reading level the kids should be at thus meaning my son isn't reading at his level. Did that all make sense?

Things are taking off, but my practice, through our behind-in-reading second grade, was to not frustrate or punish the child because of his level of reading. I had him practice with appropriate material every durned day, but I read instructions to him. The point of the grammar problem was grammar, not learning to read. He took off on his own when he was ready.

HTH

I had one slower reader. I only made her read in reading and her independent reading. I still did read alouds as well which was sometimes from what she was reading in her independent reading. I got sucked into the City of Embers that way. I read to her some of the middle of the book and then I had to know what happened. I read the rest to her until she was good with reading herself. IMO, it does no good to make the child read the material if they don't have the reading comprehension to understand it which usually comes after their reading speed has picked up.