Menu

Used Underwear. WWYD?

A few years ago I bought a huge lot of brand new underwear from ebay for my dd. It was one of those mystery auctions where I knew it was undies, I knew the size range was size 7-9 and I knew I would get at least 30 pair out of the 500 pair in the pic. So, 45 or 50 pair came. I only threw 3 pair away that were way too trashy for a girl. The rest were awesome, very pretty and very comfy. Brand new Gymboree, Gap, Old Navy. The problem is that my dd had so many underwear that now that she's outgrown all of them, they're all still looking in mint condition! I'm sure there's about 20 pair that she's never worn, even though the tag is no longer attached. So is it really so awful to donate perfectly good undies? I would *never* buy used undies for me, but I might for the kids if they looked like new. I know I have bought used boxers for my boy. So why am I so icked out by this? Is it just pride? I also know a few people with girls that I could give them to, but for some reason that just seems wrong. Inside I'm screaming "TACKY! TACKY! TACKY!" But I'd HATE to throw them away!!! What is wrong with me? (Wait, don't answer that LOL) What would you do?

P.S.: anyone want some undies? :tongue_smilie:

I've given away under clothes that were not worn at all, barely worn, or worn but still perfectly useful. (ie, not stained/torn/worn out/etc)

I've also accepted under clothes that fit the above description.

It's just cloth/etc ~ once it's washed, it's no diff than if you'd just removed it from the package. all clean again. no cooties.

or maybe it just takes a lot to gross me out :laugh:

I would take them to Goodwill. I'd feel uncomfortable giving them to someone I know (awkward), but at a thrift store, people can make their own decision about the cleanliness of it.

I agree. Chances are, there's someone out there with little money, that will see they are brand new (it's usually quite obvious to my eye at least) and be thankful to find such a thing.

I would think NOTHING of you asking me about whether I wanted the perfectly good, used undies. I have some "frugal friends" and we commonly trade stuff; we interloaned our cloth diapers without a thought.

So long as the stuff is clean and neat, then I wouldn't think much more about it. Sounds like good stewardship to me. Now, of course I'd follow TO THE LETTER the recommendations for completely killing bacteria before use, but -- once I had done this -- then I'd be as cool as the center seed of a cucumber with my purchase :) !

Guest Dulcimeramy

We take gently used socks, underwear, clothes, toys, etc. to social services offices (our local one is called The Children's Bureau) or to shelters for women and children.

Edited to add: I feel really good about taking my children's outgrown but VERY clean underwear, socks, nightshirts, and other clothes to these places. I know the items are clean and good quality, and I do believe that if they are good enough for my children they are good enough for someone else's. I would never send something stained or shabby, of course.

The Children's Bureau and the shelters are very glad to get these things.

Edited by Dulcimeramy

Donate to Goodwill or a thrift store or give to someone who sells at local consignment sales (sponsored by local churches, etc.). I sell at consignment sales twice a year and am always selling outgrown underwear from DS. They have always sold. Like others have said, once washed well, there is nothing wrong with them.