Menu

Could this be a reaction to his diaper?

Last night when I was changing ds2, he would not let me clean his p*nis. He got extremely upset, sobbed, clamped his knees shut, etc. I had to pin him down to clean the area. The skin at the tip was sort of red and blotchy looking, so I applied some Neosporin overnight. This morning the redness is gone.

He doesn't seem to be having pain with urination, and when I bathed him both last night and this morning he let me clean the area with no problem, but when I change him he gets anxious and clamps his knees shut.

Yesterday morning his sitter used one of her own diapers on him rather than the ones that I sent. I use chlorine/dye/fragrance free diapers. Her diapers are conventional disposables and scented.

Do you think he could just have had a reaction to her diaper? Other ideas?

ETA: Ds in uncirc'ed, if that makes a difference.

Probably the diaper, especially if his skin was not used to the fragrances, etc. I would just make sure she doesn't run out of YOUR diapers from now on. If the problem persists, then you can look into other causes, but this one is easy enough to test out.

It's very possible that he had a reaction to something in the diaper (the fragrance, most likely). All three of my kids had reactions to certain kinds of disposable diapers - from red, sunburned-looking rashes to blister-like bumps. It was so bad with my son that we ended up cloth diapering him.

Just make sure you have plenty of his diapers on hand and let the sitter know not to use anything else.

Last night when I was changing ds2, he would not let me clean his p*nis. He got extremely upset, sobbed, clamped his knees shut, etc. I had to pin him down to clean the area. The skin at the tip was sort of red and blotchy looking, so I applied some Neosporin overnight. This morning the redness is gone.

He doesn't seem to be having pain with urination, and when I bathed him both last night and this morning he let me clean the area with no problem, but when I change him he gets anxious and clamps his knees shut.

Yesterday morning his sitter used one of her own diapers on him rather than the ones that I sent. I use chlorine/dye/fragrance free diapers. Her diapers are conventional disposables and scented.

Do you think he could just have had a reaction to her diaper? Other ideas?

ETA: Ds in uncirc'ed, if that makes a difference.

Probably the diaper. It may also be time to refresh the sitter on how to care for an uncirc'ed baby (and how not to!).

From what you describe, he expected being cleaned to hurt. That would concern me more than the soreness (which went away overnight right? Not likely a yeast infection then....).

He's still freaking out every time I have to change him. He definitely doesn't want me near that area. I can see a red, horizontal line across the foreskin near the tip of his penis, and the skin looks almost dry or shriveled at the very tip. It also seems that the foreskin is retracted more than it should be (I applied just a tiny bit of very gentle pressure and it slipped back enough to expose the head of the p*nis). I obviously don't go around doing that, ever, so I can't be sure that it hasn't always done that but I just don't think that it has. He's my 3rd uncirc'ed child and I don't think any of them did that at that age.

*If* the foreskin was forced back, does anyone how I would treat that? I am going to call the doctor first thing in the morning and try to get him in, but in the mean time I'm not sure what to do. I'm thinking just leave it alone completely, and probably give him a bath this evening and in the morning rather than trying to wipe it with a baby wipe.

He's only one, so I don't know if it's relevant, BUT... My 3yo uncirc'd ds does sometimes get red w/ a bit of dry skin at the tip when he's had a lot of naked time and not a lot of hand washing, iykwim. It usually resolves itself quickly.

I would certainly give the doc a call since you're uncertain of the cause and he's resisting changes.

red & blotchy - were there white blotches like yeast?

thought of pull-up trainers yet with nice piled lining and you can put a diaper inside in the beginning

I like airing the area.

Littlest gets horrible rashes like contact dermatitis immediately if whe wets or poops in a "regular" diaper. We have to use organic/die-free/chlorine-free diapers. She did not have any problems with diapers until she was about a year and a half old. So it could be the diapers, but others have given you some other good suggestions, too.

*If* the foreskin was forced back, does anyone how I would treat that?

Just to address this part: get it back over if you can, and as soon as possible. The tip can swell up if you don't, and once that happens, fixing it ain't pretty. Don't ask me how I know. :001_huh:

Edited by milovaný