Menu

Talk to me about rugby (esp in IL or IA)

Ds and I watched Invictus and now he is in love with the idea of playing rugby. This is not a sport available in our corn growing, football loving, basketball adoring region.

I can find middle school teams in Chicago but not in Western IL. One high school an hour away has a Tier 1 team. I'll look to see what their schedule is like and try to take DS to watch a couple of games.

Does anyone know of a rugby league in western IL or eastern IA?

Ds and I watched Invictus and now he is in love with the idea of playing rugby. This is not a sport available in our corn growing, football loving, basketball adoring region.

I can find middle school teams in Chicago but not in Western IL. One high school an hour away has a Tier 1 team. I'll look to see what their schedule is like and try to take DS to watch a couple of games.

Does anyone know of a rugby league in western IL or eastern IA?

Quad Cities has a team.

I don't know about teams, but I do know rugby is a very...vigorous...sport. Injuries abound, and play doesn't usually even stop for them. So I would only do this if your ds is a very "rough and tumble" kind of kid.

My brother played in the Cincinnati area for several years and I love to watch rugby. But it takes a little getting used to. BTW, tape his ears or wear a scrum cap if he becomes a tight-head prop. I have actually seen situations where ears were nearly ripped off.:tongue_smilie:

What a great game!!!

My 6 year-old just finished his first pre-season of Rugby, which will resume for the regular season following Association Football (soccer) season, around late November. We (the Dads) played with our boys and girls every Saturday this summer and it was so much fun!

At his age (U-8) they still play "touch", and there are no scrums, but it is still a rough and tumble affair.

I played Rugby in High School and College at "Second Row" (aka #4 "Lock"). It is an amazing game. Not for those who mind the sight of blood, but I never knew anyone to actually lose an ear :bigear: :lol:

Two places you might look to start:

Illinois Youth Rugby http://www.iyra.org/

Rugby Indiana http://www.rugbyindiana.com/

Best wishes on finding a team!

Bill

I don't know about teams, but I do know rugby is a very...vigorous...sport. Injuries abound, and play doesn't usually even stop for them. So I would only do this if your ds is a very "rough and tumble" kind of kid.

Calvin spends a lot of time trying not to get involved with the ball; Hobbes (my physical boy) loves it. The school is strict about mouth guards.

Laura