Menu

good science curriculum

vlgimmelli

We are simply reading through some spines, most of which are older. My dh and I had a talk this morning about science, and he feels that much of the writing around just after 1958 was very good (competition after Sputnik). I am not suggesting to use all older books, just saying that some of the older ones are nice, and not dumbed down.

I would advise going to the library and letting your son choose some titles which he finds interesting. He could read and write narrations, and do some experiments to go along with his readings, making lab sheets for each one. This would make a nice science notebook, and would be essentially free, except for a few supplies such as paper and whatnot. If you don't have a microscope, see if you can find one used in good shape.

There is a very nice mp3 on the Peace Hill Press website for Science from a Susan Wise Bauer lecture. You may find that it will give you more direction. I highly recommend it, and it's only about $4.

Edited by Poke Salad Annie

Had another thought...

Corraleno posted a nice astronomy study which can be done without a bought program guide here:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204929&highlight=astronomy&page=2

I loved her advice, and am in the process of finding an inexpensive telescope. Could her ideas work for you?

One more thing....Do you have a copy of The Well Trained Mind? There are so many ideas in there to get you started with science which are age-appropriate. If you can't buy one, see if your library has a copy or could inter-library loan one.

This is a difficult question because what one family considers good is not what another family would like.

You could do a survey course like BJU or Apologia General.

You could do a unit study like NOEO or one of the Apologia elementary science books.

You could get Usborne Mystery and Marvels along with Encylopedia of Science and use those as spines.

You could do The Way Things Work.

You could do a History of Science by BF.

Your library might also be a great place to start. We unfortunately do not have a great library and we can only check out books for 3 weeks. So, I've had to purchase books or use curriculum.

I think that The Storybook of Science is free at mainlesson.com.

Also at google books; I bought a copy (the one published by Yesterday's Classics).

Like Poke Salad Annie, I have found a strangely large number of unusually interesting old science books used. I find most of mine at library sales, including experiment books for kids and other encyclopedia type books. Keep your eyes peeled -- you never know what you'll find.