Menu

Help! Advice needed.

filipinagirl

I am about to pull my hair out trying to figure out what to use for my almost 12 year old. I have been a victim of changing curricula every year- and now I just wish to turn back the time and just stuck with the progression of one approach. I started with V Press- then SOTW- then Sonlight! Ahhhhh!

Now, I am at a lost. I feel like because we have been jumping around he doesn't have the full grasp of the history of the world. There just seems to be no flow. So I am thinking in redeeming myself- I want to do a World History study with him. Do you have any suggestions on what curriculum to use? He is an avid reader and has really good comprehension.

Any advice would really be helpful. And not to mention that I have a 4th grader, 2nd grader and an infant!

Blessings,

Carmen

Guest aquiverfull

I'm sorry I don't have any suggestions for a World History curriculum but just wanted to send you some encouragement. Try not to be too hard on yourself. I've been in the same boat with all the jumping around/grass is greener syndrome so I know the feelings of guilt. However, I want to say don't worry too much about it because even if you would have stuck with one thing, there's no guarantee that he would have had a better understanding of history than he currently does. In those early years it mostly about introduction of topics and not really retention. Most children don't remember much of what was studied in the elementary years for history. It's not too late, you still have plenty of time for history. :)

I'd do a timeline (everyone can join in), and begin with things he's already learned, adding new events/wars/world leaders as you get to them. It can be as fancy or plain as you like, take up the wall of a hallway, your schoolroom, or just be in a timeline book... Seeing it all on the timeline helps my kids get the "big picture" of history. You can add one thing per day, or do a bunch all on one day each week.

If you're looking for something from a young-earth creation point-of-view, then I'd try Mystery of History, which works with multiple ages all at once. There must be others, if that's not what you want.

I'm sure you're doing a great job! Remember to have fun & try not to worry :D

And Blessings to you,

April, I like that.. married to my own Mr. Darcy ( I might steal that line ..lol)

Yes, I think I will do the time line. We do dabble with it but we just never follow through. But I think you are right. It will give them the "big picture." I will look into your suggestion of MOH. I have never looked into that.

Thank you much.

-Carmen

Not sure your budget, but VP has fabulous interactive, self-paced classes for your younger kids. You could try the free trials with all of them and see what you think. Even your 12 yo could sign up for one, whatever is his weakest time period. They also have a live Transitions class aimed at his level just for that very purpose, to cover all the cards and refresh their minds before moving into Omnibus the next year.

I suggest you think about where you want to go and make a plan. Then work the plan. I doubt you've done as badly as you think. Jumping materials doesn't matter. The skills are MUCH more important, and he probably would have retained very little, even if you had taught him perfectly. So just pick up where you are, make a reasonable plan, and move forward.

Those free trials of the VP history are a great deal. Check them out. http://scholars.veritaspress.com :)

1. Don't stress about elementary history....you'll see the pieces float to the surface during Logic stage, but the real meat begins in Logic, anyways. 12 is a great time to sink your teeth in.

2. I agree with the timeline suggestion. It really helps to SEE history in line. Also, we made separate cards with timeline figures (notecards) and play a timed race (my boys especially love race games) where we mixed up the cards and then have the dc put them in order. 20 minutes well spent...do a period at a time.

3. Find a program you like and stick with it for the next full rotation...doesn't really matter where you start or finish, only that you go in order and stop switching. You'll reap HUGE benefits from sticking in one place.

I'm sorry I don't have any suggestions for a World History curriculum but just wanted to send you some encouragement. Try not to be too hard on yourself. I've been in the same boat with all the jumping around/grass is greener syndrome so I know the feelings of guilt. However, I want to say don't worry too much about it because even if you would have stuck with one thing, there's no guarantee that he would have had a better understanding of history than he currently does. In those early years it mostly about introduction of topics and not really retention. Most children don't remember much of what was studied in the elementary years for history. It's not too late, you still have plenty of time for history. :)

:iagree: Kelli nailed it. History is one of the least important of topics and one that can be covered in different ways with different programs without it being a big deal. Regroup and move forward and you will be fine.

Heather

Ladies, your suggestions are invaluable! I love the race game idea. I will definitely do that. I know my boys will love it. I know, I know, I should stop switching! What is wrong with me? I have been awake countless nights already trying to figure out something- and I finally looked into TOG. I like the looks of it. Heather, I see you are using it. Do you think I should get Year 1 and start with Unit 1 , first? As opposed to buying the whole year? Just to make sure we love it?

I will not switch anymore !

I feel calmer than when I first wrote this email. Thank you all- you are all a God-send!

Heather, I see you are using it. Do you think I should get Year 1 and start with Unit 1 , first? As opposed to buying the whole year? Just to make sure we love it?

I will not switch anymore !

TOG really works for some people, and leaves others totally overwhelmed. In addition it is a lot of money. I would honestly start with the 3 week sample for year 1. If you can make that work then just by the whole year, because those are the first three weeks of the year. If you can't make those work, then you saved yourself a bunch of money. :D

Heather