Menu

UPDATE: Easy Girly Chapter Books. NOW, Easy girly INFORMATIONAL and NONFICTION

Thank you all for your help with http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205812&highlight=Easy+Chapter+Books post.

My DD has read two Mercy Watson books and is developing the ability and confidence to move to Rainbow Fairies and Cobble Street Cousins. When she was born, the doctors told us that kids with Down syndrome never read past a 3rd grade level -- well she's 9 and Mercy Watson is 2.9 grade level and I don't see her slowing down anytime soon!!! :tongue_smilie: She got an 85% on her Mercy Watson to the Rescue AR test at school :party:.

Now, we need to find GIRLY informational and non-fiction books, LOL. Again, we need to keep them easy, first and second grade-level, and my DD is the ultimate in all things girly, so if you have any ideas -- you were my lifeline last time, please throw them my way!.

Thanks again dear hive!

From the time she was very young, my dd has always loved the DK Eyewitness books. They are a higher reading level than you're wanting, but I suggest taking a look at them. One I'm thinking of in particular is Dance. DK also makes leveled readers about various subjects. Amelia Earhart is the topic of one, for example.

Other ideas:

Children Just Like Me and the companion book Celebrations

A Life Like Mine (and others in the same series)

Young Dreamers series (I Am a Dancer, I am a Skater, etc...)

Cornhusk, Silk, and Wishbones: A Book of Dolls from Around the World

A World of Difference series (Masks!, Greetings!, On Your Feet, Toys Everywhere, etc...)

Remarkable Children series

Gosh, I could probably come up w/ lots more if I went & unloaded dd's shelves, lol.... At least this is a start, I hope. :001_smile:

ETA: Some of these are above the reading level you posted. But, the photos are amazing in some of them & some have snippets of info, so perhaps it's something your dd might enjoy tackling as her reading skills progress.

From the time she was very young, my dd has always loved the DK Eyewitness books. They are a higher reading level than you're wanting, but I suggest taking a look at them. One I'm thinking of in particular is Dance. DK also makes leveled readers about various subjects. Amelia Earhart is the topic of one, for example.

Other ideas:

Children Just Like Me and the companion book Celebrations

A Life Like Mine (and others in the same series)

Young Dreamers series (I Am a Dancer, I am a Skater, etc...)

Cornhusk, Silk, and Wishbones: A Book of Dolls from Around the World

A World of Difference series (Masks!, Greetings!, On Your Feet, Toys Everywhere, etc...)

Remarkable Children series

AWESOME start! As soon as we clicked on the last link, Sacajawea popped up and my DD said "she's on Night at the Museum" so BINGO we have our first nonfiction book :-). YAY!!!!!!

AWESOME start! As soon as we clicked on the last link, Sacajawea popped up and my DD said "she's on Night at the Museum" so BINGO we have our first nonfiction book :-). YAY!!!!!!

:001_smile:

Some more ideas...

You might want to see if your library has any of the Picture Book Biographies of David Adler. Our library system has a lot of these. (There is even one about Sacajawea.) Also, look for Don Brown's books -- he has lots of biographies; one your dd may like is the one about Mary Anning.

Usborne has some really nice nonfiction books in leveled readers. My children love them with their beautiful illustrations etc. I linked some here:

http://www.myubam.com/ecommerce/results.asp?sid=U1743&gid=104156294&emkt=19&categoryid=3710&submit=Search

As a disclaimer, this is not my site. This is the site for the person I get my books from. You can also sometimes get them on Amazon or even Paperback swap as well.