Menu

Tired of pleasing everyone at dinner time

If I like it, I'm making it. It's TV dinners for everyone else. Yes, I bought my dh a TV dinner tonight (for tomorrow night -- so I can have spinach and leftover sweet potato/white potato/onion hash), and the kids can have leftover fish sticks and tater tots (not something I buy on a regular basis).

Good for you. My dh eats anything and most of my kids do as well, however, when they don't they can make themselves a sandwich. You are so nice to provide extra food. I'm a meanie. LOL

You're not as mean as I am. At my house you eat what you're given or you go hungry. :D

(However, if you're nice to me I might be willing to make slight adjustments to the planned menu. I leave the yolks out of ds's fried eggs, for example just because I love him, and I don't grill his cheese sandwich. And I do accommodate actual dietary/health needs, like Grandma's gluten-free diet. I'm not completely evil, just mean.)

This has typically been the rule, but I am finding myself not making so many things I like b/c of others.

Tonight, I had: crockpot chicken thighs, sweet potato/white potato/onion all shredded and sauted in oil, leftover pasta salad and two fruits.

I loved the hash, and there's a lot leftover, so I wanted to have it with a side of spinach and some fruit tomorrow. Instead of worrying about anyone else, I just bought the TV dinner. It's the first I've ever bought.

Once, I made Pioneer Woman's lemon chicken penne (used spinach instead of basil). I loved it -- no one else did.

Well, I do understand. And, yes I have done what you are doing. I love hominy, greens, and sweet potatoes but dh doesn't. One night I thought I wouldn't make it if I didn't eat some soon. I made frozen pizza for everyone else and fixed my favorites for me. Inthe last few months though I have decided that I need more variety in my diet and have started adding those favorites in occassionally with things they will eat.

I'm with MamaSheep on this one!! The same rule applies to my house! I make it, you eat it, or go hungry!!

I was raised this way as well. My mom wasn't a short order cook, and neither am I!! If you don't like what's for dinner, then you are on your own! But since I've raised my kids this way since the were babies, they eat almost anything! It's good for them! They would never eat different things if I didn't do this! They would be happy to eat pbj sandwhiches and mac and cheese for the rest of their lives!! :)

DH and I have a deal - if he cooks it, I eat it. He cooks dinner every night. Sometimes he will modify it slightly for the little guys but usually it's a portion of what we eat or leaving off a sauce or something similar.

I have some favorites that he never makes so I will have them whenever he travels (about 4-6 times a year).

I'm with MamaSheep on this one!! The same rule applies to my house! I make it, you eat it, or go hungry!!

I was raised this way as well. My mom wasn't a short order cook, and neither am I!! If you don't like what's for dinner, then you are on your own! But since I've raised my kids this way since the were babies, they eat almost anything! It's good for them! They would never eat different things if I didn't do this! They would be happy to eat pbj sandwhiches and mac and cheese for the rest of their lives!! :)

Lol...if you ask my daughter what she wants to eat it will be one of these options: cold cereal, ramen noodles, grilled cheese sandwich, or chicken nuggets. If you ask my son, he'll come up with something complicated and time consuming every time. I have my husband pretty well trained, though. If you ask him what he wants to eat he'll say, "You look/sound tired, honey, want me to pick something up?" :D

This has typically been the rule, but I am finding myself not making so many things I like b/c of others.

Tonight, I had: crockpot chicken thighs, sweet potato/white potato/onion all shredded and sauted in oil, leftover pasta salad and two fruits.

I loved the hash, and there's a lot leftover, so I wanted to have it with a side of spinach and some fruit tomorrow. Instead of worrying about anyone else, I just bought the TV dinner. It's the first I've ever bought.

Once, I made Pioneer Woman's lemon chicken penne (used spinach instead of basil). I loved it -- no one else did.

I try to mostly make things everyone likes. Sometimes I do make things that only one person in the family likes, though, especially for birthdays or other special occasions. And that goes for things only I like, too. If anyone complains I say, "Hey, I eat [insert objectionable food here] because YOU like it, you can eat this because I like it. Sometimes Mom gets to have her favorite foods too."

But I can also totally understand going for an occasional TV dinner.

Guest janainaz

I go through that here also. I do try and make dinners that everyone will like, but it's impossible. I do my best, but if I make something that isn't liked by one person - that's too bad. They're eating it. I had to eat brussel sprouts and Pork-and-Beans as a kid - and I never make anything that disgusting.

In our house, if you don't like it, make your self a sandwich/cereal or something.... I used to do the "eat what I make" but decided meal time should be pleasant family time, and that was more important than people eating what I made. Especially since I avoid eating what I do not like.

Yeah, really! If your kids won't eat it the hive sure will! :tongue_smilie:

Seriously!

As for the cooking, my crew will pretty much eat anything put in front of them. Dd has some texture things to work out yet, but I'm confident she will eat most anything by the time she leaves home. Dh has two things he won't eat - cooked spinach and brussel sprouts.

The sprouts are not a problem since I never buy them and the cooked spinach is only a problem when I want a spinach pizza. So I end up eating most of one myself, he eats his own and dd shares with both of us.

I shredded two sweet potatoes and one white potato in my food processor. I sliced one onion thinly. I coated the bottom of a skillet with oil and tossed in the potatoes and onions. I then sprinkled with salt, freshly ground pepper, a little garlic powder, a little nutmeg and a little paprika.

I have been trying to eat dark greens at least once a day, so at night, I've been steaming spinach. Sometimes I make enough for others, but often just me (I'm the only one that really likes it). I didn't serve the spinach tonight, but I plan to have it as a side tomorrow night along with my reheated hash. I did have steamed spinach for lunch, though.

Will you post the recipe? :bigear:

You know, I think what more bothers me is the fact that I expect pickiness in kids, but I hear story after story of women who cannot make this or that for dinner because their husbands won't eat it.

I was talking to one lady about frugal meals. I told her how I make a leftover soup and how everyone likes it. She piped up, my husband won't eat soups.

Then there's the, "my husband won't eat salads."

My uncle won't eat any vegetable other than peas, corn and green beans (yes I know which of these are actually vegetables).

My father-in-law will not eat anything ethnic -- I even mean pizza. He whispers about my food at the table to his wife.

I knew a father who made his kids eat all of the foods they didn't like for two weeks to teach them to not be picky. Apparently it worked, but only on the kids. I was talking to the wife one day about food. He gave her a food allowance a month and not a penny more. She was trying to find ways to stretch the meals for her family of eleven. We talked about spaghetti, and she said, "oh, my husband won't eat spaghetti without meat in it." We talked about lentils. "Oh, my husband has banned lentils." So, I guess the pickiness exercise was just for the kids.

I totally get really not liking certain things. But, I think an element of inappreciativeness comes in when the other people don't do the cooking. They have no idea what goes into food prep. When my dh was alone, he did cook some. He would grill a steak, make a baked potato and heat up broccoli with the little cheese packet sauce.

I just feel like we've come to a point where he thinks it's my job to make things he's thrilled about all the time, while I don't see that as my job. I am every bit as important as he, so if my motto is now, "you aren't thrilled with the side dish or the main dish, and I am -- keep your mouth closed." Or, have a TV dinner. Or, make your own food.

I am not talking about food issues, texture repulsions, etc. I'm talking about people who eat fast food for lunch every day so they cannot appreciate the simple taste of real food or have had their way for so many years, that they cannot handle changes. Like, my mother-in-law. She says she loves summer squash. I asked her if she ever prepared it a certain way (sautéed with diced tomatoes, herbs and some Italian cheese on top). No, she always fries it. Well, no wonder. You could fry a grasshopper and have it taste good. She has no idea what a squash actually tastes like.

I was talking to the wife one day about food. He gave her a food allowance a month and not a penny more. She was trying to find ways to stretch the meals for her family of eleven. We talked about spaghetti, and she said, "oh, my husband won't eat spaghetti without meat in it." We talked about lentils. "Oh, my husband has banned lentils." So, I guess the pickiness exercise was just for the kids.

That is not pickiness; that is a husband (and a wife) with control issues.

Terri

You're not as mean as I am. At my house you eat what you're given or you go hungry. :D

(....And I do accommodate actual dietary/health needs, like Grandma's gluten-free diet. I'm not completely evil, just mean.)

:lol: That's me, too. :D Not the bit I deleted.. I might make variations of menu, but it means everyone has it. So if it doesn't work for everyone, it doesn't work.

Like, my mother-in-law. She says she loves summer squash. I asked her if she ever prepared it a certain way (sautéed with diced tomatoes, herbs and some Italian cheese on top). No, she always fries it. Well, no wonder. You could fry a grasshopper and have it taste good. She has no idea what a squash actually tastes like.

:smilielol5:

Many a truth in a joke.

We find it's definitely harder to appreciate/enjoy the taste of good food if we've had too much bad quality food (fast/fried/sugary).

I cook. I take requests. but if it's on the table you eat it. I even make things I don't like. Dh eats things he doesn't like. And the kids are finally getting some things in the rotation they like :-) I am mean about it though, lol.

I have had free night. They have to feed themselves so I can just cook something yummy without the whining :-)

I'm mean, too. My family has two choices at dinner - take it or leave it. And they're not allowed to make faces or complain about what we're having.

They have to try new dishes and eat their vegetables. I grew up with a very picky mother and didn't have any exposure to new foods or veggies other than what came in a can. I'm trying new foods and learning to like new things right along with my kids and husband.

To keep the peace, however, I don't offer a new food/dish more than once or twice a month. And they all have input into the dinner menu. My oldest cooks once a week and the other two help once a week. I think it helps to offset those meals with things that are new or they don't particularly care for if they know that the next night they'll have something they do like.

I've seen that so much with the husbands acting like the biggest babies of all when it comes to meal times!!! The only thing I try to respect is that my husband is lactose intolerant (to a point...he can still do cheeses in most recipes).

Other than that, I'm just like many of you. I make it, you eat it, no complaining allowed at the table or you get down and go to bed. I don't want my kids to ever go to someone elses house and not know how to handle being given food you're not used to or you might not like. We've been working on right when you take your first bite, you compliment the meal. (my mom is always on pins and needles waiting for feedback on her food!!)

I'm lucky though, because so far my kids haven't been picky about much and aren't complainers. I throw all kinds of veggies in my spaghetti sauce to introduce them to new things. But we also have the old standbys that I know they love. I try to find a wide variety of foods to expose them to.

I'm about to have a family of 8...NO WAY I could be a short order cook.

In our house, if you don't like it, make your self a sandwich/cereal or something.... I used to do the "eat what I make" but decided meal time should be pleasant family time, and that was more important than people eating what I made. Especially since I avoid eating what I do not like.

:grouphug:

You are my hero!

This is what I do, too.

I am grateful that we have food to eat and that we can all be together to eat it.

Edited by unsinkable
can't type

I generally don't feed anyone but myself and DD, because of our work schedules. If I actually cook dinner, DD is expected to eat what I make. I do have a no leftovers rule--if you don't like it, I won't make you eat the leftovers. (This rule is important since I tend to cook for six while feeding two).

DH or DW#2 usually do the cooking if we're actually all eating together. I'd feed DW#2 more often, except she usually just heats herself a TV dinner or grabs something on her way home.

(However, if you're nice to me I might be willing to make slight adjustments to the planned menu. I leave the yolks out of ds's fried eggs, for example just because I love him, and I don't grill his cheese sandwich. And I do accommodate actual dietary/health needs, like Grandma's gluten-free diet. I'm not completely evil, just mean.)

I follow the same basic plan and my only concession is to fix a veggie that you like. Furthermore, you have to eat all of your 1st serving (3 bites or so) of everything before you get seconds of anything. I have little tolerance for picky eaters and never have. Which begs the question, "How did I end up with one???????":banghead:

One of my daughters decided to eat vegetarian in January. We thought it would be a phase since she's ten and hates vegetables really. Well, she eats eggs and dairy so she's a lacto-ovo vegetarian I believe it's called. 9 months later, she's still sticking to it. So now when I cook, I make a vegetarian version of almost everything. There's all these replacements. In addition, my meat eating husband who used to swear by meat at every meal, eats plenty of non-meat dinners so I don't end up cooking two meals EVERY night. But most nights I cook two meals.

For my picky eaters, which I have two, they have to at least try the food if it's new or semi-new still. We call it a no-thank you bite. To their own surprise, they sometimes love my cooking :lol:. But if not, they can have cereal or pb&j. I'm a pretty picky eater and hate being forced to eat something I don't like. I would never do that to my own children. Having been forced to do that as a child, I would never do that to my own children.

One of my daughters decided to eat vegetarian in January. We thought it would be a phase since she's ten and hates vegetables really. Well, she eats eggs and dairy so she's a lacto-ovo vegetarian I believe it's called. 9 months later, she's still sticking to it. So now when I cook, I make a vegetarian version of almost everything. There's all these replacements. In addition, my meat eating husband who used to swear by meat at every meal, eats plenty of non-meat dinners so I don't end up cooking two meals EVERY night. But most nights I cook two meals.

All of my girls went veggie about 7 years ago. Two of them still are (the 17 yr. old & the 13 yr. old). I wasn't allowed to go to KFC for the longest time (well I did, I just had to sneak off and do it and then be sure to throw away the garbage). The 17 yr. old will try a very small portion of meat if she is eating at someone's house who is serving it. I have told her that no one expects her to do that but she does it anyway, although she doesn't have to do it very often because most people understand. The 13 year old will try anything else but not meat. She eats at her friends' a lot and it has never been a problem. The youngest caved after a few years because of bacon. She was probably too young to really care when they went veggie. She just went along because that's what all of her sisters did. The 18 year old only lasted about two years. It makes meal time much easier though because hubby travels, so most nights involve little to no cooking (they eat a lot of raw food and usually a starch). I eat whatever. My hubby cooks when he is home. It works for me. :001_smile: