Menu

Schedule by lesson or time?

guateangel

I'm new and curious. Do you schedule by lesson or time the lesson and when the timer goes off you're done regardless if the lesson was finished?

I was scheduling by lesson, but I'm thinking this isn't a good thing. Some lessons, particularly AAS and RS, could go on for 30-45 min.

I'm thinking...

AAS - 20 min.

RS-B - 25 min.

Thoughts?

Does this question need to be in the 'general' forum?

I plan on completing one lesson, but if DD starts showing signs of frustration or boredom before we're done, we shelve it and do the rest the next day. I have to play that by instinct, because DD is just naturally belligerent and uncooperative sometimes, so it's not just over a little whining, but when I can tell that we aren't going to make more progress by continuing today. Actually, in our second year of homeschooling, I'm finally to the point where I can usually tell it's going to be too much before she gets stressed out. Thank goodness. lol

I like the idea of scheduling by time, but it drives me nuts not to finish a lesson. What I am doing this year, is setting up school hours and then completing as many subjects as we can within those hours. If our time is up and a lesson we are in the middle of isn't complete, we finish it, but we don't go on to any other subjects for that day. We are usually successful in making up anything we weren't able to complete on another day.

Lisa

For the older ones I spend a week or so determining how long each subject takes and then create a daily schedule based on those times but add in buffer time. If it takes dc 20 minutes to complete a subject I usually schedule 30. The two oldest are pretty good about staying on track now so there aren't very many days that things get off.

For the younger group I lump all Language Arts (phonics, grammar, writing, ETC) into a one hour block of time for dd7 because sometimes WWE takes 10 minutes and sometimes it takes 20 so in that case, instead of doing two pages of ETC we will only do one. Then I schedule one hour for math and math games and 30 minutes for misc. (penmanship and poetry). Then she gets another hour for art, history or science. She is usually on track but sometimes things just don't go accordingly and we make adjustments. For example today dd7 spent a looooooong time drawing a picture of Mercury being bombarded with asteroids so we didn't get to the narration portion of the assignment. We just moved on because she expended all her energy on drawing and couldn't possibly think of what to say about it. We will fit it in tomorrow before history.

Is that all clear as mud?

So I schedule according to subject for the olders and by time for the littles.

We have to schedule by material/lessons. My sons could distract themselves with a pencil eraser for an hour to get out of English if I didn't specify what needed to get completed. (Usually a reasonable amount. If it's a very long lesson, we'll do it over two days.)

I work with my 7 yo constantly, so we'll go by time a lot.

My lessons are predominantly time based. I plan time periods according to what I think the DC need, based on past experience to a certain degree. If more often then not they are completing the lesson w/in that time (or just a bit over), I know I've planned well! If not, I'll modify accordingly. Mine are older, so sometimes if they don't finish within the time we've planned, they can finish the rest for "homework".

I go by lesson because right now my son is still wasting a lot of time. First he insists something is too hard before he even sees it, because since he is a perfectionist he doesn't like anything that he doesn't already know. Then when he understands it, he doesn't want to complete it, instead he wants to make is harder by delving into things that are distantly related. After I get him back on track he completes a bit and then needs to stand on his head, do 20 pushups, go to the bathroom, or get a drink of water. Finally after that he wants to do more and more so that he can show me that not only does he have it, but he can do it with his eyes closed. Sometimes literally he will close his eyes and try to write the answer. Oh and there isn't any messy or rushed anything from this boy....if he makes a mistake instead of erasing a number or a letter he will sometimes decide to erase the entire passage or a whole new sheet of paper.

So right now our day can last 2 hours or 5 depending on him. But he is smart enough to know that it depends on him and when he really wants to do something else he gets it done so he can.

Meanwhile I clean, read, cook, and do whatever around, near, and in between break times.

Both.

I am allotting each dc a certain amount of time, but within that time there is some flexibility for longer/shorter lessons. I do things that are teacher-intensive first so if 1 dc isn't done in their "time," they can finish up while I move along to another (instead of play).

2nd grader works from about 9-10

Ker from 10-10:30

PreKer from 10:30-11

2nd grader from 11-12...and if he doesn't finish up by noon, his work has to be done before he plays outside after lunch. That's only happened once since implementing this routine almost 6 weeks ago.

Last year we would spend quite a varying amount of time of RS-B so I understand what you are talking about, but now I know DD7 has significant ADD so our situation may be a bit different. I guess I just have to be flexible with the lessons and try to finish lessons as recommended but sometimes we have to stop and finish later. Whether that means later in the day or carry over to the next day depends on other scheduling issues. In other words...we do both, time and lesson.

Generally I schedule lessons, and have a maximum time in mind. If he doesn't finish math, it becomes "homework". So we don't pound over the max time. I put the funner stuff (science experiments, nature study, drawing) at the end of the day so the DC can keep going if they want to. SWR we do the whole lesson regardless. I try to keep lessons short, and take breaks as the DC need them.

Amy

Both. :D I've planned small chunks of time- 20 minutes. If we're not done with the day's lesson, we stop anyway. We either then take a break or do another subject. We do come back to that lesson later in the day to finish it, though, so it's not just 20 minutes of a subject everyday, if that makes sense.