Menu

Alternatives to FLL?

curlygirlzx2

We're going to be using Growing With Grammar, and I'm aware that some aren't pleased with the retention. We did finish FLL1 and will be doing FLL2, so I'm thinking that GWG will be okay for us for written practice. But I'd also love to know of a great secular grammar program just in case...

I'm looking closely at Shurley English. It looks really good to me, but I haven't made the leap yet. I especially like the looks of the little activity puzzle book that goes with it.

ETA: I guess the activity book is for vocabulary, but that's ok too!

https://www.shurley.com/?3f9b06c8f52a14bd1252cd94ac17a

The homeschool kit is less expensive at rainbow resource than the shurley english website, but of course you have to wait for their loooooong shipping times.

http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/Shurley+English+Homeschool+Kit+Level+1/010824/1283976762-741260

Edited by Cindyz

Thanks ladies! Keep us posted how GWG is working out for your dd Angela. I'm not sure if Shurley is secular so I'll check that out as well. I might just go with a Evan Moore workbook and see if I can combine it with FLL although it might take a bit of tweaking.

From everything that I've read, it is secular. Of course I've discovered that different people have varying ideas of what secular means. Cathy Duffy has it listed on her site as secular.

I am using Evan Moor ... the Language Fundamentals and Vocabulary Fundamentals series. They are ebooks so I print the pages as I need them. They are 100% secular. DS1 also struggles with sentences so I am using some titles on sentences by Remedia Publications. These are not ebooks but they are nice and affordable reproducible workbooks, and 100% secular.