Menu

Homeschool next year?

I decided to homeschool my almost 5 year old (in three days) dd this year because she could not go to public school this year, we don't have money for private school and she was ready and interested in doing school with me. It's going well so far (6 weeks into it) we are both enjoying learning together. While it is more work (planning and preping) than I origionally thought, I feel it is worth it.

Dd is an extremely social little girl, she loves playing with same age friends and talks to everyone we meet. I know by the end of this year she will academically be ready for 1st grade, but I doubt she will have the social finess to go straight into 1st grade (it is an option in our school district). So that leaves us with kindergarten or homeschooling as choices. My inntial choice is to homeschool, but I just KNOW dd would LOVE school and being surrounded by peers all day. I want her learning at home with me for academic and family strength reasons, but do those trump the fact that I am fairly sure she will excell academically and socially in a ps setting? Our school district and the school she would be going to are rated "exemplary", so I don't feel that school quality is an issue. I LIKE teaching her and being there for those ah-ha moments, but I want to do what is best for HER.

What made you decide to homeschool if you had access to excellent schools? Do you have children that you are sure would excell in ps, but feel hs is still the better option? Why?

I am in a similar situation to you. We have good public schools nearby, but we are hs our dd4 and plan to continue unless something changes. I think she woud also do well in ps--agreeable, compliant child that she (usually) is. Here's why we want to hs: teaching academics in ways no ps can ever do--no politically correct bias, covering more literature because we'll have more time, mom not having to sit an hour in the carpool line every afternoon and interrupt her sister's nap, staying away from negative peer influences--yes, we do have to learn to resist poor influences, but not when we are 5 or 6 or 7, ability to encourage creativity, living life according to my schedule instead of the school's...I could go on and on. I would encourage you to read some of John Holt, Susan Schaffer Maccauly, and there's a thread on here about books that influenced your homeschooling, I'll see if I can find it.

do you have alot available for your dd as far as homeschool activities? I live in an area where the is alot of activities....yet NOT MANY of them were geared towards her age. Mostly for middle school and high school. MY dd6 is a social butterfly..this is her first year in a formal school...she just loves it..Not trying to discredit homeschooling or sway your choice in any way but we had lots of problems with things like this. Even if I were to join the local co-op I was told that my 6 yr old could not join in on the science class even though I would have to be there to watch her the whole time and 7 yr olds were participating. If it wasn't an appropriate class I would have taken her out in the first place yet I am told she is too young even before classes started. I think I'd know the maturity of my own child but oh well, not my rules so we let it go. We also wouldn't have fit in the other co-op because we are not a "skirts and dresses only" kind of Christian.Oh well. We tried. Many times we've tried.

What made you decide to homeschool if you had access to excellent schools? Do you have children that you are sure would excell in ps, but feel hs is still the better option? Why?

I pulled my kids from the #2 school district in our state. We did 2 years at that school. :glare:

This is our second year homeschooling and it can't even compare to our experiences with public school. I have an 8 yro that's read Goethe. I have a 7 yro that spends his afternoons building circuits and (no kidding) explained a da Vinci machine at our Science Museum to an ADULT who couldn't decipher what da Vinci had created. My son went from "I'm stupid and my teacher would like me if I could read" at ps to being so excited when his schoolbooks came in the mail that I thought he was going to fall over.

Homeschooling is definitely a lifestyle. The entire day is yours to plan. You can take them to museums, travel (my kids have been all over the country), co-op with other homeschooling families (we do this once a week and it's fun), take enrichment classes, visit family (I take our kids to stay in Chicago for a few weeks out of the year) and spend a lot of time outdoors. My 8 yro is going to a symphony hall in about a week...we took her to see water sculptures last week. Our art museum has homeschooling workshops, etc, etc...

It's just rough when you first start off... It takes a while to meet people, figure out what works for your student, find the curriculum stores :tongue_smilie:, find a good hs group or co-op, etc...

I'm sure there are parents on this forum who can explain the benefits of homeschooling better than I can. :D

The Well-Trained Mind sums it up pretty well. Boys Adrift also makes a great case for homeschooling.