Menu

So we paid off the truck today. Wanna guess why?

Was it b/c it was finally the last payment? nope

B/c we inherited some money? nope

Some kind of snowball debt effect thing? nope.

The guy from the bank called for some info and was so rude to me. I called my husband to relay the msg and tell him how rude the guy was. After giving me time to cool off and make sure he was really as rude as I said, my husband went down and emptied out a savings account and pd it off.

I never really thought of our savings as kiss-my-behind accounts and I would rather not have used that one for that purpose and I feel somewhat vaguely as if we ought to be ashamed for making a potentially bad $ decision in a fit of pique . . . but it was rather satisfying.

The guy from the bank called for some info and was so rude to me. I called my husband to relay the msg and tell him how rude the guy was. After giving me time to cool off and make sure he was really as rude as I said, my husband went down and emptied out a savings account and pd it off.

I never really thought of our savings as kiss-my-behind accounts and I would rather not have used that one for that purpose and I feel somewhat vaguely as if we ought to be ashamed for making a potentially bad $ decision in a fit of pique . . . but it was rather satisfying.

I don't see anything wrong with that! Now, just take that payment you were making to the truck and put it in that savings account. You'll be back up there in no time and the rude guy at the bank can just go take a flying leap!

I did the same thing 22 years ago with a student loan :001_smile: Back then the interest for our savings account was more than the interest rate for the loan, so I didn't want to pay it off. But I was on active duty in the AF and the bank wouldn't take an automatic allotment from my pay (hard to imagine even then) and were very rude about it. I just didn't want to deal with them every month and so paid it off! It was worth it to never think about or deal with them again. I think your post today may be the first time it's come to mind in 20+ years :001_smile:

Mary

I don't see anything wrong with that! Now, just take that payment you were making to the truck and put it in that savings account. You'll be back up there in no time and the rude guy at the bank can just go take a flying leap!

Yeah, but she needs to put it in an DIFFERENT bank! :D

FWIW, and I know this is so small of me... I hate bank(er)s.

I feel better, having gotten that out of my system.

We did something very similar two months ago.

I've been with the same bank since I turned 18 (literally, I started an account on my bday). I've referred several of my friends over the years, including DH.

We were in the process of buying a new home and applied for a mortgage through this bank. We had a mortgage previously with them which we had paid off. Hubby & I both have credit scores of around 800, have never bounced a check at this bank, been late on anything, have no debt, and were requesting a loan equal to only 50% of our annual income.

From day one the bank called our loan application suspicious, and sent us through so many hoops before declaring it fraudulent and denying us.

Just before we were officially denied we decided we were through with the bank and liquidated all of our life savings everywhere and purchased the home cash.

So yes, it was stupid to have zero dollars saved anywhere, but it felt SOOOO good to kick this bank to the curb. We'll build back up our savings.

We didn't get our accounts at that bank closed before they officially denied the loan, but it was very gratifying to close them shortly thereafter.

Guest Dulcimeramy

:iagree:

Definitely contact the bank and name names, give dates and details. Then make it clear to them that you will be contacting everyone that you have referred to them over the years and clearly express your disappointment and why you have cut ties to this bank. And I usually mention that it seems rather wasteful for them to spend money on advertising when the money would be much better spent on customer service--that they will have to spend quite a bit to undo the damage in terms of customer confidence and reputation that Mr. X recently ruined.

Then put a very obvious cc: at the bottom of your letter to your state's banking regulatory agency.

Just as we teach our kids, actions have consequences, whether you are a large business or an unruly 6yo.

Sweeeeeet. :thumbup1:

years ago we did this too. We had a truck, the loan company decided to declare that we didn't have insurance on it- we did- and don't know who they notified, it wasn't us- and charged us a big fee for not being insured and having to insure us themselves. (A racket, I think) As soon as we saw the fee, dh called and provided proof of insurance. Taken care of, we thought. They deducted this 'fee' from our monthly bill and then declared us in default each month because our monthly check was less than the new bill. They began daily harassing phone calls to me, stay at home nursing mom with babies and toddlers. We would straighten it out and then next week the calls would start all over with different people. I have a young voice, so most of the time the phone would ring, I'd stop what I was doing, race to phone and have them hang up on me when they heard my voice- they thinking parents were not home.

this went on for maybe 2 or 3 months- we even had our insurance company do a 3-way call to provide proof, had them fax proof, mail proof. Finally, dh took a loan out from our bank and paid off the truck. no more loan people.

it was horrible, I will never ever deal with that company again.

yay for you! I'm sure it felt good!;)

:iagree: Be sure to start that account at a bank other than the one the loan was through, and when the amount increases nicely, be sure to send the loan bank manager a quick note on why you moved your money to a different bank. :D Actually, you may want to have a quick chat with the bank manager now. Not only have they lost use of your savings, but they've lost the interest they were getting on the loan too. They should know that it was due to the way an employee spoke with you. :)