Menu

Latin?

twoxcell

Ok so I had no intention of teaching Latin for at least awhile, but I'm reviewing products for TOS this year, and I was chosen to review Latin's not so tough(by Greek and stuff). My oldest is 7 and in 2nd grade, so I will be using it with him. Can you all explain to me why you teach Latin? In theory I know it helps with root words, but I have no experience with it. If you teach it with young children how many days a week do you teach it?

Ok so I had no intention of teaching Latin for at least awhile, but I'm reviewing products for TOS this year, and I was chosen to review Latin's not so tough(by Greek and stuff). My oldest is 7 and in 2nd grade, so I will be using it with him. Can you all explain to me why you teach Latin? In theory I know it helps with root words, but I have no experience with it. If you teach it with young children how many days a week do you teach it?

I love Latin. No need to have to pronounce it correctly (my weak point with Spanish), it is applicable to roots in the English language, names is science and the cases learned are use in both Spanish and French, so it will help in learning those later.

That said there is no need to rush and do it now. If you have the time, enjoy! If not then you can wait. I wait till 5th grade and start them doing Lively Latin independently. Much easier on me. :D

Heather

My daughter is 8. We do Latin five days a week. We use LC1 and our week goes like this:

Mon.--Watch DVD Lesson

Tues.--Review vocab and listen to cd

Wed.--Review vocab and listen to cd

Thurs.--Complete workbook lesson

Fri.--Games and puzzles from Ludere Latine

As far as why.... Cheryl Lowe of Memoria Press and Highlands Latin School talks a lot about that topic during the first twenty minutes or so of her talk "How to Teach Latin" found here on the MP website (look towards the middle of the page where it says "2010 Indianapolis Mini-Convention"). We probably all have a lot of different reasons, but she highlights many good ones there.

I teach Latin because it can help children decipher the meaning of words (I'm thinking SAT vocab) if they have an understanding of Greek and Latin root words and prefixes/suffixes.

Also, I just think is sounds SO cool to hear them speaking Latin! :D

Latin is a lot of fun. I tell my son (and he agrees) that it's low cost, high benefit. The main benefit at age 12 is how many people say to him, "You study Latin! Good heavens, you must be brilliant!" He thrives on those kinds of comments.

As he changes his career goals from day to day, I tell him how much help Latin will be. "I think I'm going to be an attorney." "Oh, that's great! Latin will be an enormous help to you." Two days later. "I'm thinking about being a doctor." "Well, you have a head start on the big words since you already know Latin." Two days later. "I think I'll be a pet sitter when I grow up." "Hmmm...."

As far as scheduling, we do one little thing a day. We really keep it short, but we try to hit it every day.

Like I said I was thinking of trying Latin a bit later like 4-5 grade, but I'm getting this product for a review. My ds is actually excited about it, so we will give it a go. I have to at least try it long enough to write a proper review. Does anyone here use Latin from Greek and Stuff?