Menu

What to use with IEW

AllBoys

My .02?

I love First Language Lessons for K-4. We've used Rod & Staff. Liked it, it was thorough. It didn't exactly inspire a love for grammar, but it definitely got the job done. Depending on your comfort level of teaching, Daily Grams and Easy Grammar are utterly painless to use.

I'm looking at Spelling Wisdom from SCM for Spelling. I've been around the block and now I want something painless.

At the end of the day, copywork, narration, and dictation are my priorities.

I see IEW as something to apply to all of my studies - science, history, literature.

I am planning to use IEW with my 4th and 6th grader. What should I use with it? Spelling, Vocabulary and Grammar, specifically.

Which IEW are you using? The theme-based books have vocabulary built in.

IEW's Fix It! grammar is good and it's not overwhelming. I'm finding that with Fix It (which has vocab) and the theme-based book, that's all the writing, vocab and grammar that we need. All that's left would be spelling.

There are lots of threads on spelling programs... you should choose one based on how your kids learn best. WTM recommends Spelling Workout if you want a workbook based program. SpellWell is good, too.

Agreed that it really matters exactly which product you will use.

We have the US History based IEW. We started this last year and although it is a great program, there was a lot of wailing (and not just me)!

This morning I am wondering if we should use Intermediate Language Lessons for my ~4th grader and Lingua Mater: Language Lessons from Literature for my ~6th grader.

I haven't seen them but I have heard great things about both. If you know about these, what would I have to add to them for language arts to be complete? I don't want to have a year where I dread both of them groaning when I open the book everyday (like last year), but I do want them to have a thorough education. Will they get enough information or do we need a grammar program like Shurley or Winston or something else?

I am having so much trouble choosing curricula this year. I guess it is because they are getting older and I feel pressure about making choices for middle school that I haven't felt before.

Thanks!

Edited by AllBoys

We have the US History based IEW. We started this last year and although it is a great program, there was a lot of wailing (and not just me)!

This morning I am wondering if we should use Intermediate Language Lessons for my ~4th grader and Lingua Mater: Language Lessons from Literature for my ~6th grader.

I haven't seen them but I have heard great things about both. If you know about these, what would I have to add to them for language arts to be complete? I don't want to have a year where I dread both of them groaning when I open the book everyday (like last year), but I do want them to have a thorough education. Will they get enough information or do we need a grammar program like Shurley or Winston or something else?

I am having so much trouble choosing curricula this year. I guess it is because they are getting older and I feel pressure about making choices for middle school that I haven't felt before.

Thanks!

Unfortunately, I haven't seen any of the specifics you list. (Shocks me, as I sometimes feel as though I have bought every imaginable option!)

I'd add some kind of grammar for both girls, any that appeals to you. I had success with R&S and now love MCT. There are plenty of good options out there. . .

Definitely keep on with Spelling in some form.

If the US Hist lessons include Vocab, then I wouldn't feel the *need* to add vocab, esp. for the 4th grader. In general, I like the principle of finishing spelling in 7th/8th grade and then moving on to formal vocab. (I like MCT for vocab, and VfCR as a second choice.)

And, of course, good reading material, as that is the heart of any good English program, IMHO.

HTH

Thanks!

You can download and print either Sheldon's Advanced Language Lessons or Emma Serl's Intermediate Language Lessons free at googlebooks.com. You could start by printing off the table of contents. Look it over to see if that's what you want. We are using Sheldon's for grammar and composition, and there are plenty of writing assignments included. I also think it holds up well against Rod and Staff for grammar. Another grammar/composition program you might enjoy (again, free) would be Maxwell's Advanced Lessons in English Grammar. This is also free to download at googlebooks.com.

Editing to add: I didn't post anything for spelling. We are giving Megawords a try this year, and it looks great. I bought an older edition teacher's manual, and I think it could be taught from just that without any extra workbooks. For vocabulary, we simply use what comes up in our readings. I see a great amount of retention that way, and it does not involve another manual to have to deal with. If you do want something for vocabulary, you could print the Derivations of Words by Mary F. Hyde (free at googlebooks.com).

Edited by Poke Salad Annie