Menu

I'm re-reading TWTM and I'm inspired...

meet me in paris

How did I get so far off track??? :tongue_smilie:

I'm ready to get back to more classical work, especially with my younger one. I've been all the way around the block in terms of schooling styles, and honestly, this is where we belong.

My WTM is about 5 years old - should I update to the new edition? Are there big differences in curriculum recommendations?

I still have the TG for FLL 3, so we'll start using that. I'm ordering The Complete Writer today... if I get the student book for FLL, is it overkill to use the student book for WWE? Is there a lot of overlap?

We're still doing SL Core 5 (Eastern Hemisphere) for my older - younger one is "tagging along" doing geography work and notebooking pages. If you're familiar with this core, would SOTW 3 be an okay fit to do with dd8 alongside the geography work? There's no chronological history to speak of in that core, but lots about explorers.

Help me regroup. (please!)

I'm rereading my old copy of the first edition WTM this week. I think I need to pull it out every few months as a self-check to make sure I'm staying the course. Love it.

I don't know the answers to your questions. I will take a stab and say that if you have a nice dry-erase board and markers, it seems you could make do with just the TG for both things (WWE and FLL). I'm also not sure about updating to the new edition, but you might enjoy having the newest copy to browse through. I think there are some new things for rhetoric stage that are very nice to have for reference, IIRC. I have not seen it in person, but I believe I read on the boards that the newest book had some great additions.

I read mine again during the summer and it inspired and helped me a great deal as I planned and thought out the upcoming school year. I had just ordered the newest edition though, as I wanted updates on curriculum recommendations. I'm so glad that I upgraded my edition and then read it again, so for that reason I'd encourage you to do the same.

We are starting a new school year with the inclusion of some new materials that I would not have thought of otherwise. And I also have a better understanding of the Logic stage that my dd is transitioning into thanks to the fact that I referred to TWTM once again. This year is going really great and I'm thankful that TWTM led us to where we are now.

I personally feel that every hs family should have a copy of this great book on the shelf for reference, and it should be pulled off the shelf and used often!

Blessings,

Lucinda

P.S. Sorry I don't have any other suggests for you on re-grouping, etc.

Edited by HSMom2One
clarification

Pretty sure the updated version recs more hands on science for the Logic stage. Otherwise, I don't know. I read it and copied a few pages from the library and that is mostly what I copied, along with some logic.

I try and read it every year to refresh, especially those years when we're entering a new level....we're in all four this year :001_huh:

Your plan sounds good to me...although I know very little about SL. I'm a TOG girl.

I started reading the newest version (hadn't ready the books before), but honestly about 5 pages in I felt like crap. The part about how Jessie taught her kids, and how wonderful their education was... made me feel awful. I'm sure it's supposed to be inspirational, but I just felt like a terrible homeschooler. I couldn't get into the book after that. I felt like she was glaring down her nose at me. Stupid, I know... but that's how it made me feel.

Shalynn

How did I get so far off track??? :tongue_smilie:

I'm ready to get back to more classical work, especially with my younger one. I've been all the way around the block in terms of schooling styles, and honestly, this is where we belong.

My WTM is about 5 years old - should I update to the new edition? Are there big differences in curriculum recommendations?

I still have the TG for FLL 3, so we'll start using that. I'm ordering The Complete Writer today... if I get the student book for FLL, is it overkill to use the student book for WWE? Is there a lot of overlap?

We're still doing SL Core 5 (Eastern Hemisphere) for my older - younger one is "tagging along" doing geography work and notebooking pages. If you're familiar with this core, would SOTW 3 be an okay fit to do with dd8 alongside the geography work? There's no chronological history to speak of in that core, but lots about explorers.

Help me regroup. (please!)

I think the 2010 version is well worth it for the Logic stage updates.

I started reading the newest version (hadn't ready the books before), but honestly about 5 pages in I felt like crap. The part about how Jessie taught her kids, and how wonderful their education was... made me feel awful. I'm sure it's supposed to be inspirational, but I just felt like a terrible homeschooler. I couldn't get into the book after that. I felt like she was glaring down her nose at me. Stupid, I know... but that's how it made me feel.

Oh! No! No! No! That is not Jessie! I've seen/heard her speak and spoken with her at the book table at conferences and she's sooooo nice and very encouraging. I can't even say I "know" her, but I know she's not looking down her nose judging you!

In one of SWB's talks, she talks about how her mom started homeschooling ... Is this even legal? Making letterhead and writing schools to find curriculum. And that quiet time was instituted at their home largely for *mom* and she does this dramatization of mom on the couch ... first half hour completely asleep; second half hour half sitting up; third reading a book; fourth drinking some tea. I'm always so comforted when I think about that ... she was absolutely exhausted too! This was hard work for her too! Harder, 'cause she had to figure everything out with no internet/support/accessible curriculum.

I think she's the homeschool mom's biggest cheerleader! Remember, she's a grandma ... she's like *my* grandma (but nicer) ... she has that steely strength of character and mind of her generation paired with a smile.

Skip the preface if you have to, there isn't a whole lot more "story" in the book, but don't dismiss the whole book. Also, they put information in that book for just about anything you might want to teach ... but they don't teach everything. And the schedules were included at the insistence of their publishers ... they aren't meant to intimidate or really be used.

Sounds good to me. Keep it as simple and as doable as possible and if needed drop it. She is 8, she will cover this again.

I did buy the updated version of WTM and haven't regretted it.

There isn't a lot of overlap between FLL and WWE. I just skipped the parts in FLL that had you do narration type work that is in WWE. WWE has some grammar work, but it is quick reinforcement of FLL, not coverage of new material in depth.

Heather

Thank you, everyone!

I think I may try and get a new copy of the book. (Heck, think of all the $$ I would have saved if I hadn't veered off track to begin with, right? Maybe this purchase/investment will save me some more money down the road!)

We started doing the oral usage lessons in the back of FLL 3 since I don't have my workbook yet... it was painless, but good. Did some copywork. Did some notebooking. ahhhhh... it's nice to be back. :)

FB72BBC6-62E1-F990-24CD-66130D3D1EBE

Oh! No! No! No! That is not Jessie! I've seen/heard her speak and spoken with her at the book table at conferences and she's sooooo nice and very encouraging. I can't even say I "know" her, but I know she's not looking down her nose judging you!

In one of SWB's talks, she talks about how her mom started homeschooling ... Is this even legal? Making letterhead and writing schools to find curriculum. And that quiet time was instituted at their home largely for *mom* and she does this dramatization of mom on the couch ... first half hour completely asleep; second half hour half sitting up; third reading a book; fourth drinking some tea. I'm always so comforted when I think about that ... she was absolutely exhausted too! This was hard work for her too! Harder, 'cause she had to figure everything out with no internet/support/accessible curriculum.

I think she's the homeschool mom's biggest cheerleader! Remember, she's a grandma ... she's like *my* grandma (but nicer) ... she has that steely strength of character and mind of her generation paired with a smile.

Skip the preface if you have to, there isn't a whole lot more "story" in the book, but don't dismiss the whole book. Also, they put information in that book for just about anything you might want to teach ... but they don't teach everything. And the schedules were included at the insistence of their publishers ... they aren't meant to intimidate or really be used.

Thanks! I guess I'd better give it a go. :D