Menu

What do you hope your child will become vs reality

I think some kind of engineering would be perfect for my little guy. He loves math and building and it has good potential earnings. I'd also love it if he owned his own business.

If I had to guess what I think he will actually become, I'll say a sky diver. :lol: ...or maybe a fireman. Something intense.

If asked what he wants to be, he always says he wants to be a dad. Then he added he wanted to be a dad and then learn how to be a teacher. Yesterday he said he wanted to be a dad and a "restaurant guy" (chef).

What about your little ones (or not so little ones)? Everyone wants their children to be good people with strong moral characters, I'm talking mostly about professions. :bigear:

DD10 says ballet teacher. I say translator.

DD8 says dentist. I agree :001_smile:

DS5 says professional ice hockey player. I say something mathy.. that kid doesn't know how easy he has it!

DD2 says play! Mischief! Mess! :D I have no idea, but it better be something challenging!

Ds14 - Ideally - engineer; realistically - engineer. He's known since he was 6.

Ds12 - Ideally - professional baseball player; realistically - law enforcement (FBI?) He loves baseball and is really good. But, he's also got a love for the law. So, maybe a lawyer?

Ds 10 - Ideally - salesman; realistically - clown college. Seriously. This boy could sell anything to anyone. He's a GREAT kid. But, he's a clown.

Dd4 - she says she's not growing up. Okay.

11yo ds -- a tutor, a bookstore owner, an archaeologist, a LEGO Engineer, or an Admiral. I honestly have no idea, but I expect Lawyer, politician, as well as a military officer. You have to know the kid.

8yo dd -- The next Design Star!, artist, teacher, a mom (and more, but she just can't remember). We are investigating art-related fields already (this has been her bent since she could hold a crayon...

7yo ds -- an inventor... which is a bit scary. DH and I have talked for years about him being the one we receive a phone call from his college telling us that while our son is fine, he "blew up" the lab. :D

4yo dd -- a princess. If I could afford it, she'd probably be a dancer.

19mo. dd --who knows (she's shrugging her shoulders and smiling)

My 6yo wants to be a professional artsist. She's quite determined! I have no idea what I'd like her to go into at this point, but I try to encourage her interests wherever they pop up.

My 2yo has yet to form an opinion about his future. I'd just like him to make it to adulthood without major injury, the little daredevil. :tongue_smilie:

Oh dear, should I even post here?

Oldest was accepted in pre-vet, I was thrilled, he changed to restaurant management. This almost did me in.

Oldest dd is a brilliant pianist, she's switched to entreupreneurlism???? I can't even spell it.

This didn't bother me as much...................

I don't care what my kids do, I just want them to do it nearby. And I don't have high hopes right now.

Ds9--engineer/inventor

Dd7--"singer" but she's said teacher, preschool worker, etc over the yrs; she's good w/ kids & knows it--I say child psychologist; she's very patient & gentle-spirited

Dd3--"a mama" (improvement from yesterday when she was going to be a daddy)--reminds me of my sister, someone who will be wildly successful at anything she chooses. I see her w/ an electric guitar slung over her back on top of a hill in Ireland. How about the next Norah Jones?

Ds2--[his name]--football coach/salesman--he comes from a long line of football-sized uncles who played college ball & got hurt before they could consider anything professional, but they've got the good-ole-boy salesman thing down, too.

When my ds was 4 he was going to be a teacher; and teach people how to yodel. :lol:

This is hilarious!!

Mine:

DS, 9: Wants to be a chef. I'd love to see him become a pastor. Relistically, I can see the chef thing or maybe an engineer.

DD, 7: Wants to become a scientist (biologist, I think, because she likes animals) and a mommy. I'd love to see her become a mommy! Realistically, I see her becoming a mom and a writer...

DD, 6: Wants to be a missionary and an "animal rescuer." Realistically, I see her becoming a doctor because she is absolutely fascinated with how the body works in detail.

judging by the frequency and intensity of the debates that regularly occur around my oldest.....

she has to be a budding lawyer. It makes me insane. She asks for help in math and then debates with me as to why my answer to her question is wrong. :banghead:

my heart nearly melted one day when my second daughter confided in me, "I want to be just like you mom."

dd #3...looks like she is going to try to be a princess. Any thrones empty anywhere near you?

ds....ummmm..... demolitions expert????

Well, my 12 yos has wanted to be a Historian or History teacher and musician for the longest time. Yesterday, he came in and said he thinks he'd like to be a Fashion Designer. My very manly dh's mouth fell open in shock. I had to laugh because he was dressed in all camo with a red baseball hat. His idea of fashion is very different from the mainstream. I'm thinking hunter fashion. LOL

Guest janainaz

DS10 - says he wants to be a C.P.A. (he's a numbers guy)

DS5 - says he wants to homeschool his kids and his wife can work, but he'll pay the electric bill :confused:

As long as it's something that (IMO) is ethical, I'm fine with whatever he wants to do for a living. He has a lot of interests and says he wants to be able to be a farmer, computer programmer, film maker and scientist all at the same time. I say, go for it! :D

Guest janainaz
This is what my dd wants in a future husband. She wants him to stay home and take care of the kids, house and homeschool them.:tongue_smilie:

I guess there really is someone for everyone :lol:

I just want them to be happy, to live life to its fullest, and be able to support themselves. Outside that, I could care less what they do for a living, as long as they are passionate about it.

:iagree:

I often use my husband as an example when my boys and I have this discussion. He LOVES getting up and going to work every day because he is passionate about what he does.

My hope for my boys is that they find work that is meaningful to them. I would hate to see them dragging their butts to the office every Monday morning, and pining for Friday afternoon, hating every moment in between. I see far to many people live that sort of life.

DsD12 - She says Pilot/Author, we think realistically Author/Wife

DS9 - He says Surgeon, We hope Surgeon.

DS7 - We hope Engineer, realistically Goofball (is that a career?)

DS5 - We think Businessman in something Electrical/Electronic

DD5 - She says "keep care of animals"...that sounds about right, maybe Chef

The little ones I have no idea about.

My dd9 wants to be a scientist, a homeschool mom and on the side wants to direct plays. Dd6 alternates between wanting to be a physical therapist and a plumber. I still don't know where the plumber part comes from but she has been saying it now for a few years.

I want my kids to find the kind of peace and contentment that I now feel in my life. I am not doing what I ever thought I would be doing but I am happy. I want to help them find that.

I think some kind of engineering would be perfect for my little guy. He loves math and building and it has good potential earnings. I'd also love it if he owned his own business.

If I had to guess what I think he will actually become, I'll say a sky diver. :lol: ...or maybe a fireman. Something intense.

If asked what he wants to be, he always says he wants to be a dad. Then he added he wanted to be a dad and then learn how to be a teacher. Yesterday he said he wanted to be a dad and a "restaurant guy" (chef).

What about your little ones (or not so little ones)? Everyone wants their children to be good people with strong moral characters, I'm talking mostly about professions. :bigear:

I should tell you about my big brother--the ski-bummin', bungee jumpin' daredevil electrical engineer. He is fortunate to have acquired a wife who can keep him reined in on the weekends...lol.

Then there's my brother-in-law, the crazy motorcycle dude, Mormon bishop, lawyer. Let me just say it's a good thing the man has good body armor in his motorcycle gear.

It's definitely possible to have a fairly staid and sober, well-paying profession and live a little on the intense side in the off hours.

As for my kids...I wish I knew.

Dd says she wants to be, and I quote, "A world-saving superhero. Or maybe a rock star." She's such a motherly, nurturing little person though that I can't help but think she'd make an AMAZING full-time homemaker (what better way to save the world anyway?) I do want her to have some kind of professional training, but I don't know yet what would best suit her. Possibly something in art, design, or music.

Ds...oh if only I had a clue. Some days he wants to be a scientist, and I think that would be a good field for him. When he was little we used to joke that he would grow up to either come up with some amazing new cure for cancer, or he would take over the world and be the first dark overlord of humankind. I'll settle for nonincarcerated productive citizen.

Well, ds says he wants to be a racecar driver. :tongue_smilie: I think he'd make an excellent lawyer, but I also know dh will start trying to push him towards engineering & tech stuff at some point. :001_rolleyes:

Dd says she wants to save the planet. I think she'd do well in environmentally-focused science or engineering, or as a pure mathematician. Maybe a cryptologist or analyst for the NSA or something. :D

DS wants to start his own scientific institute. I think he'll just go to MIT and then run a department there.

DD wants to be an artist. She's very social, so she'll probably work with people in some fashion. I think either PR or, if she continues to enjoy studying the human body, maybe be a pediatrician.

LOL

Dd17-Artist or vet

Dd15-Ultrasound technician

Ds9- A "Family Man like Dad" and a chef or a composer/conductor/musician or a bridge-builder. I think he would be an amazing teacher.

Ds7-A collector...maybe a geologist (rock guy) or an entomologist (because he's already a bug guy). I think he'll probably be one of those professions if he stays interested.

Ds5-He just wants to live in Mexico when he grows up, but he doesn't know what he wants to do.

The boys all want to be dads when they grow up even though they'll each have to marry a girl. (Imagine this spoken as though they'd have to marry a slug or a frog or some similar creature.)

Cat

I want my kids to be passionate about their careers (or non-careers, whatever). This does not mean I'm thrilled about the fact that my 12yo still believes there's time for him to become a professional baseball player despite his unwillingness to practice outside of the Little League season schedule :tongue_smilie:. He says his back-up "might" be meteorology.

Dd8 thinks about becoming a teacher.

Dd7 fully intends to live at home forever and take care of the pets.

Ds3 says he's going to grow up and be 4, and that's all. :D

I just don't want to have to pay for everyone's food until I die.

ds7 - "an archaeologist who writes books about God" from his mouth...It is possible reality might match in some way. He has a bent towards science/math and has a way with words. idk - He would make a great professor of anything LOL...did I tell you about the time we went to the Children's Museum and he was explaining to a group of about 5 children that he rounded up about how dino fossils are *ACTUALLY* found (not in a pretend sandpit fyi:tongue_smilie:). He loves talking talking talking!!! His most frequently used phrase is, "Did you know...?":bigear:

dd5 - She needs to be a lawyer, there is no question!:svengo: She reached the argumentative logic stage at age 4. No doubt! She is extremely bright and intuitive...she reads people very well. She LOVES typing and writing, but would make a very passive aggressive secretary:tongue_smilie:...so lawyer it must be. Her favorite words are, "If....then..." (often negotiating terms of playtime and toy distribution)

ds4 - He is a fearless commander! I don't know what he'll be, but he'll leading the pack. He has no issues with holding up his little hand in the "STOP" postition in order to communicate his will (it doesn't matter if you are 3x his size LOL), and yet can sweet talk anyone into thinking his idea was their idea...perhaps politics is in his future???:lol:

Writing this all out...I am realizing where the chaos comes from..."Did you know..." "If you play here, then I will let you have..." "STOP"...takes the toy in negotiation and when screaming ensues, begins listening to ds7's latest infomercial in order to gain an ally in his war...:willy_nilly::willy_nilly::willy_nilly: