Menu

I want my house back

I have family staying here. It's been a little over a week full of suggestions on how to:

Be a better mother

Handle behavior issues

Feed children properly

Protect children from injury

Control the details of children's play such as when and where

Properly get children to bed and when

Teach

Divide chores

How to divide my time between my children

I'm done. Can I be done? I'm ready to get my normal life back and just get back to our simple complicated days of home schooling.

I remember just two weeks ago I was complaining about having to plan lessons. I'm ready to tackle planning. I'm ready to hit the books. I'm ready to kick out my visitor.

I told her today that enough is enough. She hasn't spoken to me for 9 hours now. She seems to think it's a punishment.

Sigh. Two weeks. Add this to my friend problem. Blech.

Is this a parent visiting? My mother is coming next week and staying for 3 weeks.

Let's practice together a little smile and:"That's an interesting suggestion. I will think about it (when I have a moment)." Then walk away or propose some other activity.

This too shall pass.

Imp,

Isn't it about time you or one of the children came down with a raging case of typhus, diptheria, or ebola? Seriously, start sneezing and coughing all over this person and make sure these are juicy, full body fluid coughs...paint your face red so you look feverish, maybe use the eyebrow pencil for some rash spots, and start talking to the walls, catsup for bloody nose, and make really bizarre "I must be hallucinating" comments. Maybe this person will leave early!

Other than that, I really do think you are going to have to threaten to slaughter a goat or something and announce it's time to make head cheese and blood sausage!

Just once, I'd like to have the nerve to record someone like that and play it back to them..."Do you hear yourself? Wow, you must REAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLY love the sound of your own voice!!!!"

Make sure the food you serve is no good.....plain rice and beans for every meal and announce that on meatloaf night you clean the fridge out of all of the leftovers, no matter how old, dump them in a pan and squish it all together and serve it baked with nothing on it!

Faith

fwiw, the all time favourite solution around here is to say, "oh i'm so glad you are here; would you like to teach language arts today? here are the books. why don't you start with dc#1.... and i'll work with dc #2,3,and 4.... then we can switch. it is scripted. i'll give you 15 minutes to prepare the lesson and then send dc#1 to you."

really.

often it only takes part of a morning for all the comments to switch to "how do you do this every day?!"

hang in there!

ann

Gah. My grandmother did this. When I finally drew the line she took to her bed and pretended she was dying. At my house. Not kidding. She was a piece of work.

Yes, she has been in her room since yesterday afternoon. She did come out to get coffee and then later lunch. Her eyes are all puffy and she's sulky.

fwiw, the all time favourite solution around here is to say, "oh i'm so glad you are here; would you like to teach language arts today? here are the books. why don't you start with dc#1.... and i'll work with dc #2,3,and 4.... then we can switch. it is scripted. i'll give you 15 minutes to prepare the lesson and then send dc#1 to you."

really.

often it only takes part of a morning for all the comments to switch to "how do you do this every day?!"

ann

That won't work. She doesn't speak English. Besides she was trying to "help" my ds with a math worksheet and she was telling him to count his fingers.

She's not exactly academic....shall we say. My favorite store is Barnes and Noble. She told me her worst nightmare would be to be stuck in a book store.