Menu

Favorite recipes with frozen spinach?

I've ended up with 8 packages of frozen spinach over the past 6 months, I keep buying it but never really know what to do with it....I'm sure there are great recipes I can make with this...any good spinach dips?? I used to love Houston's artichoke/spinach dip...I'll find it and share it...but any others??

Tara

I have lots of ideas! but here is The Most Simple: Add it to tomato sauce for pasta! It's wonderful and not at all taste-noticeable (if your family doesn't like spinach).

If they like it fine this way, it's a simple thing to add to soups and stews. (and smoothies).

It also works well in spanikopita, but that is very time intensive and I do not recommend it. ;) At all. My dd made it and felt sorry for her. :(

Edited by LibraryLover

Palak paneer (spinach with cheese) -- my ds 12, who normally hates vegetables, actually likes it!

Stuffed Pasta Shells -- I used to work for a catering company in the States, we'd make these a lot for weddings; used frozen spinach, cottage cheese, eggs, salt and black pepper for the stuffing, then bake in a pan of tomato sauce.

Mediterranean Ricotta, Feta, and Spinach Pie

I've made this with frozen or fresh spinach. You can also used reduced fat versions of all the dairy if you so desire.

10oz spinach (if frozen, defrost, and squeeze out excess liquid; if fresh, cook, cool, & squeeze)

1 TBL dried bread crumbs

1 cup ricotta cheese

3 large eggs

1/2 cup half-and-half

1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese (Parmesan makes a good substitute if you don't like feta)

3/4 tsp minced garlic

1/2 tsp salt

1/4 tsp ground black pepper

Pinch of grated nutmeg

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees

2. Lightly coat 9 inch pie dish with cooking spray. Sprinkle with bread crumbs to coat.

3. With a wooden spoon, beat together all the remaining ingredients, stirring in the spinach last.

4. Pour into the prepared dish, smooth the top, and bake for 35 minutes, or until the top is lightly puffed and rounded (The center may be slightly lower.) Let pie stand for 5 minutes. Cut into 8 wedges.

Makes a great brunch or light supper.

If you use low-fat versions of the dairy you are looking at 74 calories per serving, 4 carbs, and 4 grams of fat.

The only recipe I use it for is a stuffed shells baked pasta dish. It freezes really well too, so it's good for putting away for later or giving to a friend who needs a meal. You cook those jumbo shells then fill them with a combo of ricotta and the spinach and a bit of Parmesan (you can also sub some of the ricotta with cottage cheese to make it lower fat). You blend it all together in the blender to get it really mixed. Then dump a jar of sauce over it and sprinkle mozzarella. It's yumm-o. You can either bake it right away or freeze it.

I made a Julia Child spinach soup with it once--actually, I think that might have been my first JC recipe? And it's the first time I'd ever heard of "finishing" a soup recipe. Anyway, the soup turns out creamy and buttery and delicious, and even my Discriminating Eater (dd5) ate it. (The recipe's in JC's Mastering the Art of French Cooking book.)

This is one of my favorite recipes, I often make for company.

Black Bean & Spinach Enchilada Casserole

2 15-oz cans black beans, drained and rinsed

2 tablespoons lime juice

1 tsp Cajun seasoning

1 tsp chili powder

½ tsp cumin

½ tsp garlic powder

½ tsp onion powder

2 10-oz pkgs frozen chopped spinach

¼ c butter

½ tsp minced garlic

2 tbsp flour

1 c milk

8 oz velveta cheese

1 tsp hot sauce

½ tsp Cajun seasoning

1 8-oz container sour cream

8 8-in flour tortillas

2 pkgs shredded Monterey Jack cheese.

Mix first 7 ingredients in a bowl.

Cook spinach according to package, drain and set aside.

Melt butter over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté 1 minute. Whisk in flour until smooth – 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk and cook, whisking constantly, 2 minutes until mixture is thick and bubbly.

Add cheese, hot sauce, Cajun seasoning, and whisk until cheese is melted. Stir in spinach, until heated through. Stir in sour cream.

Spray bottom of a lasagna pan. Layer tortillas, beans, spinach, Monterey Jack cheese. End with tortilla, spinach, and cheese.

Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes covered, then uncovered 5-10 minutes.

Here's another one (I love frozen spinach, in case you couldn't tell!)

Tortellini Spinach Casserole

2 pkgs (10 oz each) cheese tortellini

1 lb sliced fresh mushrooms

1 tsp garlic powder

¼ tsp onion powder

¼ tsp pepper

½ cup butter divided

1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk

1 block (8 oz) velveeta cheese, cubed

2 – 3 packages frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry

2 cup mozzarella cheese

Cook tortellini according to directions, set aside. In a skillet, sauté the mushrooms, garlic powder, onion powder and pepper in ¼ c butter until mushrooms are tender. Remove mushrooms.

In the same skillet, combine milk and remaining ¼ c butter. Bring to a gentle boil, stir in velveeta cheese until smooth. Stir in mushrooms and spinach. Stir in tortellini. Stir in a handful of the mozzarella.

Transfer to a baking dish or lasagna pan and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Cover and bake at 350 for 15 minutes. Uncover and bake 5-10 minutes or until cheese is melted.

This is one of my favorite recipes, I often make for company.

Black Bean & Spinach Enchilada Casserole

2 15-oz cans black beans, drained and rinsed

2 tablespoons lime juice

1 tsp Cajun seasoning

1 tsp chili powder

½ tsp cumin

½ tsp garlic powder

½ tsp onion powder

2 10-oz pkgs frozen chopped spinach

¼ c butter

½ tsp minced garlic

2 tbsp flour

1 c milk

8 oz velveta cheese

1 tsp hot sauce

½ tsp Cajun seasoning

1 8-oz container sour cream

8 8-in flour tortillas

2 pkgs shredded Monterey Jack cheese.

Mix first 7 ingredients in a bowl.

Cook spinach according to package, drain and set aside.

Melt butter over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté 1 minute. Whisk in flour until smooth – 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk and cook, whisking constantly, 2 minutes until mixture is thick and bubbly.

Add cheese, hot sauce, Cajun seasoning, and whisk until cheese is melted. Stir in spinach, until heated through. Stir in sour cream.

Spray bottom of a lasagna pan. Layer tortillas, beans, spinach, Monterey Jack cheese. End with tortilla, spinach, and cheese.

Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes covered, then uncovered 5-10 minutes.

WOWOWWOWOW this recipe sounds awesome!!!