Menu

What is a good Spelling program for an OLDER student

Michelle My Bell

I am looking for a spelling program for my daughter who spells OK, and reads OK. She is 13. She was very late at both of these skills after years of struggling. I would prefer something independent, but I am willing to work with her if necessary. Any recommendations to sharpen up her spelling and ultimately, her reading skills.

Thanks!

Not sure, but you might want to take a look at Megawords. I would suggest you work closely with her in book #1 because that's where they teach how to break down words into syllables. It can be fairly independent after that. Megawords works on reading, spelling, and vocabulary.

Wow -- Megawords looks really good

So impressed with Megawords!

This year with my 12yr. old son, who can't spell and can read, but new words are hard for him to decode; I'm using Saxon Phonics Intervention.

I'm going to have my 11yr. old dd who can read well and spell okay BUT can benefit from the program. With my dd, she took off with reading using R&S Phonics 1, so I didn't have her to year 2 to complete her phonics. Now I'm regretting it because she can read well but has a hard time with the bigger, unfamiliar words.

One thing I don't like about Saxon Phonics Intervention is the sight word. I have used PR and own Spell to Write and Read, so I plan to code many of the sight words as well.

I pondered using Megawords with my son but he spells below 4th grade level. It wouldn't work with him.

My oldest struggles with spelling. Her reading is way beyond grade level, but her spelling is in need of some work. We've gone back into SWR and started at list M to build up and review. I did SWR for 3 years before switching to Spelling Power. I've also used MegaWords. Last year we started Root Words (or is it Word Roots?) which has been a huge help. The lessons are short but teach quite a bit.

I would think that Spelling Power would be a good choice. I like the fact that you only need the one book, and it doesn't need to be replaced for each grade.

My sons appreciate the fact that they don't need to study the "words that they don't get wrong." It's been a good fit with us, so far, and we'll hopefully continue to use it to completion.

I really like the All About Spelling method of teaching. I'm actually using it for my 6yo right now, but I really think it is absolutely NOT too "young" for older kids. The lessons are well-designed and thorough, and they give even me as the teacher a better understanding of what the rules for the English language are. I've always been a very good speller & reader, myself, but I'm honestly learning a LOT about the "whys" of what sounds each letter makes in each different situation. This book gets extremely specific on learning the actual general rules of use so that you can employ those rules in reading more and more convoluted words.

I actually don't have my 6yo do any copywork - he does straight writing of sentences, deciding on his own how to spell the words. When he's done, I just pick which words need help and ask him to tell me what the appropriate rule is for that sound. Once he's recited the rule, he is immediately able to correct his own work.

For example - he is having problems on when to use "k" vs "ck", so I ask him to tell me what the rule for using "ck" is (to use it after a short vowel). I then have him point out the vowel and tell him if it is long or short. His response might then be "oooooh, yeah, it's a short vowel so I use ck". We also have spent a lot of time working on the silent "e" - how it makes the word "open", and an open word generally has a long vowel sound (no is open, not is closed). I like that it then ties multiple previous lessons together as you go along - my 6yo can work out that in a "vowel-consonant-e" word that has a hard "k" sound, you HAVE to use "k" rather than "c" or "ck" (like). After all, we learned "ck" is only used after a short vowel (which you don't have in an open word) and we learned "c" says sssss before e,i&y (so that wouldn't work). The joy, though, is that HE actually truly knows these rules & I just have to remind him to think of them and to pick which ones apply!

Sorry to go on - I just wanted to make it clear that while the All About Spelling books can be used for younger kids, I believe it can totally provide a good foundation for older kids as well. As I recall, the website indicates it is used for beginning spellers through older (and even adult) spellers needing remedial work.