Menu

S/O trash- What do you do with old computers?

We have one we need to get rid of. I'm sure it probably has personal info on it. But it hasn't been set up for years. I also have a laptop that the screen went kaputz. So I wouldn't be able to see to delete info. How do you safely get rid of this trash?

I take it to our waste management company -- they take care of them for free. I'm pretty trusting, though -- I trust that as a county "official" organization, they'll dispose of them properly (or hire groups that will). I've also been known to take sledge hammers to them. :lol:

In Arizona there is a group called AZStRUT (Arizona Students Recycling Used Technology) -- the high school students rebuild/refurbish computers and donate them to local charities. We donated all our old computers to them after dh removed the hard drives (which he gave to ds to take apart).

A local computer repair place might be able to remove the hard drive (and give it to you) and then recycle the computer.

As everyone has already stated, just remove the hard drive, then dispose of it however you choose: sell it, donate it, etc.

As far as a laptop goes, if the screen is shot, it's probably going to be too expensive to repair for a charity to want it, but you can always ask.

Jean in Newcastle, I'm married to the adult version of your son. We have more computers in this house than people, and there are 6 of us. I've told him if he brings home another computer he needs to find a new place to live.

That's what I was thinking. I just read a book that talked about a place in China where they were taking apart old computers and the whole area got polluted. Off to read your link!

There isn't that much information there.

Here's a list of the some of the toxins:

0,1425,sz=1&i=154938,00.gif

Give them to nonprofits - like my Y. You would be surprised how many need them. Any computer within the last five years is a great resource to give to a nonprofit like the Y in return for a tax deduction. I wipe personal info and backup pictures for people who do this all the time.

Yea, ds does wipes the hard drive and then does a "clean install" for the new owner.