Menu

I Shrunk My Sweater

I shrunk my warmest wool sweater by wasking it in warm water in the machine.:eek: Is it salvageable? It looks like a children's sweater now but I can't give it to my kids because they are never that cold. If I can manage to get it on do you think I will be able to restretch it out? It is still a bit wet now so I haven't tried yet.

I shrunk my warmest wool sweater by wasking it in warm water in the machine.:eek: Is it salvageable? It looks like a children's sweater now but I can't give it to my kids because they are never that cold. If I can manage to get it on do you think I will be able to restretch it out? It is still a bit wet now so I haven't tried yet.

:grouphug:

Nope, sorry....it's felted. I do this on purpose with things I knit out of 100% wool -- purses, slippers, etc. The best you can do now is cut it up, sew it together and make a tote bag out of it, which would be really cute!

Warm water + agitation = felted wool.

astrid

You can use it to make the nicest mittens you'll ever own! Cut out a right and left hand mitten leaving 5/8ths seam allowance extra and then use that as a pattern to cut out the lining. You can use regular lining material, quilt cotton, or even old shirt - I don't recommend fleece because the mittens get too bulky to be useful. Sew right sides together around three sides leaving the wrists open. Tuck under the raw edge of the lining next to the wool and top stitch carefully in a decorative color or if your machine has embroidery stitches, go wild. If the sweater has a decorative border, then I cut the mittens out so that border is on the wrist. My Christmas mittens last year were made from a wool sweater that had Christmas trees across the chest. There was a Christmas tree on the back of each mitten and instead of machine finishing it, I blanket stitched the lining to the wrist by hand in a contrasting color. They were navy blue with green pine trees and red stitching.

Faith

At least you can still get a purse out of it!

I once poured bleach on a white cotton sweater to remove a stain.

After I washed it, the stain was gone, but so was most of the front of the sweater...looked like it'd been removed with a 12-guage shotgun.

:glare: