Menu

Kids and exercise

Do you make your kids push through exercise, even when they obviously hate it?

My kids have gotten...um...unfit. They gravitate to being very sedentary rather than active, and I have unfortunately let it go for too long. We are trying to correct it, but there is some bucking going on..lol. If we cannot get out and bike, I've been making them do the ellipitical. My oldest HATES this. She's the most out of shape, and I know it's hard...but I'm making her do it anyway. I'm hoping that once her fitness level improves it won't be so bad.

Have you thought of getting them involved in a sport instead? My daughter takes taekwondo, she absolutely loves it, and that is her motivation to stay in good shape. I hate elliptical trainers and treadmills and such so badly I can't even make myself do it, so I wouldn't make my daughter do it. But we do go walking/hiking year round, biking in the summer, skiing (with her dad, not me) in the winter, and of course taekwondo keeps her fit as well.

I really think the key is to help them find a way to enjoy exercise, rather than just forcing it whether they like it or not. It could be anything - dancing, volleyball, tennis, swimming, whatever sparks their enthusiasm.

Edited by GretaLynne

Can you start with something more fun or at least productive?

Going for walks

Weeding.

Gardening.

Mowing the lawn

Biking

Join a couch to 5K group.

Roller-blading

Pick up game of basketball in the park.

4 man soccer

Hiking

I need to be exercising with a purpose or as a family outing. Otherwise I DESPISE exercise.

We are biking usually, and walking.

I've tried the sports thing...my oldest just hates sports. She isn't going to be active unless coerced/forced to. She's ok with biking, but still complains if she breaks a sweat...lol. I'm not fond of the elliptical myself, but I've found that if I don't have them do something nearly every day the habit falls away very quickly. I only resort to the elliptical when it's been rainy/yucky out. Like this week, it's supposed rain all week, and I don't want them to sit around the whole time..

Oh, and we are getting a Wii for Christmas...I'm hoping that will add some fun to a little exercise.

We have a rule (especially in the winter or the dog days of summer, since those are the only days it is needed) that there is no screen time till each person puts in 20 minutes of exercise. They can jump rope, run laps outside, or do something from exercisetv.tv . I really don't care whether they enjoy it or not. They know what they have to do to get access to the computer or tv.

Has your dd tried yoga or pilates? They are not sweat-your-glands-out exercises, but they are challenging and will add to one's total fitness level.

(and there are plenty of free yoga/pilates workouts on http://www.exercisetv.tv)

I have mine do the tread mill, lol. :) Not every day, but on days we don't do anything else active. My kids are participating in a kids marathon where they are running 26 miles over 2 months. Maybe you could keep track of how far she goes and turn it into a marathon or have some sort of prizes after so many miles or minutes?

Yes, I make my kids exercise. We walk or bike several miles as a family most evenings. They have to participate, whether they want to or not. My oldest is usually the one whining but I just tell him to suck it up. I'm a mean mom! :D

I make my kids go on a 'forced march' almost daily too - its part of a ahealthy lifestyle. They also participate in sports of their own choosing.

My kids are required to participate in one sport or activity at all times. For example- my dd does competitive cheer and dance- she is in by far the best shape in the family. They all swam this summer and ds- 13 is getting ready to start middle school swimming. The 7 year old is going to do year round swim and the 4 year old dances. It is much easier to get them active now then later.

I second martial arts. Depending on which one you choose, it's an amazing workout. I recommend renting a few Matrix-esque movies before suggesting it. Boxing is a good workout too, and might seem more macho than, say, karate. I don't think any kid has ever been teased for studying boxing.