Menu

Help! We're drowning in EGGS!!!

I need some ideas on how to use eggs FAST!! Our chickens all started laying a couple weeks ago and I need to find more interesting ways to use eggs! We are selling some, but yesterday we got 56 eggs!! Right now I think I have 8 or 9 dozen eggs in the fridge. I would like to find recipes or ideas that use eggs for lunches or dinners. So please bombard me with your ideas (we are getting tired of egg salad and deviled eggs!LOL!).Thanks so much for your help in advance...

My children like breakfast burritos (which will freeze) and will eat them for any meal. I make up a huge amount of scrambled eggs and then add cheese, crumbled sausage, bacon, or ham and whatever sauted vegetables they want. We roll the filling up inside a tortilla, double bag them, and freeze them. They warm them in the oven and eat with sour cream. They never complain about eating them over and over.

Also, I think that you can freeze eggs for using in the winter. You crack, drain off the white, whip the yolks until frothy, and pour into ice cube trays. Place the ice cube trays inside gallon baggies or wrap well with freezer wrap, and then use them - one cube = one egg.

Faith

pudding, custards, meringues, flourless chocolate cake, egg bread, conditioning mask for your hair, mayonnaise

Give some away. I don't think there is anyone who would turn down fresh eggs!

ETA: I also like the idea of freezing breakfast burritos. I might try that myself for when things get hectic around here.

Also, I think that you can freeze eggs for using in the winter. You crack, drain off the white, whip the yolks until frothy, and pour into ice cube trays. Place the ice cube trays inside gallon baggies or wrap well with freezer wrap, and then use them - one cube = one egg.

Faith

You can also freeze them without removing the whites. DH is always freezing extra eggs - he whips them up and puts them in ziploc freezer bags and takes them camping with him. Works great!

Guest Dulcimeramy
You can also freeze them without removing the whites. DH is always freezing extra eggs - he whips them up and puts them in ziploc freezer bags and takes them camping with him. Works great!

You can freeze them without separating or whipping, too. Just crack 10 eggs in a bowl, add a pinch of salt, stir to combine whites and yolk, and freeze in ice cube trays. Like a pp mentioned, one frozen eggsicle cube equals one egg.

Just yesterday for my in-laws anniversary dinner I made a truly flourless chocolate cake. It uses a whopping 9 full eggs in the recipe. They have chickens as well and can totally relate. In fact it is the egg overflow that caused me to use that particular recipe.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/chocolate-cracked-earth-flourless-chocolate-cake-recipe/index.html

As for other things...scrambled in breakfast burritos, quiches, bread pudding (which could be made sweet or savory), custard pies, the eggs mixture for french toast.

I hope that helps!:)

Chinese food takes a ton of eggs

a wonderful batter for 2 pounds of (paper toweled dried cut up boneless chicken nuggets)

2 Tablespoons of Corn starch

2 Tablespoons of Egg

2 EGGS

beat well, dip pieces in and drop in hot hot oil (of your choosing)

turn when golden....

then we have

fried rice with egg in it

(we cheat and use a grocery story envelope seasoning)

and my girls love egg drop soup!

again with envelope seasoning!

We also do french toast a lot!

Our chickens are in over drive to produce right now also!!

Have red enchiladas with a fried egg on top! rich and yummy!!

How about pickled eggs. I recently tried a recipe for red pickled eggs that got mixed reviews with the family, but dh recently requested more because he really liked them. My mom also makes dill pickled eggs, and all she does for that is when her large jar of dill pickles gets empty she leaves the pickle juice in the jar and fills it up with boiled eggs, which she lets sit for about a week before eating.

Also, crepes use quite a bit of egg in the batter and they can be filled with just about anything. My kids like them with a little jam spread on, then folded up and sprinkled with powdered sugar. I also have a recipe for an "Oven Pancake" (aka "German" pancake, though I'm not sure why) that uses lots of eggs. I don't have it here now but would be happy to look it up if you'd like. We usually eat it with applesauce.

And it seems like pecan pie uses several eggs.

Angel food cake takes a bunch of whites. You could use some of the yolks for eggs benedict or hollandaise sauce over asparagus. Our breakfast this morning was eggs fried in salsa (+/- hot sauce), and it was easy and yummy.

You could use some for art projects -- my kids love to dye eggs. You could also blow some out and decorate them.

The American Egg Board website (aeb.org) has a bunch of recipes you might want to look over.

Mine have just stopped laying because I moved half the flock out of the "coop" and put them in the barn. But I always feed the extras to the big dogs. I have three that eat me out of house and home, so the eggs come in handy.

Funny though, I have a hen that just went broody on a mess of Saxony eggs - so looks like we'll have fall yucklings....err duckling. :tongue_smilie:

You could make 'Dutch baby', I use at least 8 eggs when I make it for one adult and 3 young kids. You could easily double the recipe. It's very sweet and my kids find the name hilarious (we are Dutch :lol:). BTW, it's not a Dutch recipe, no one here has heard of it.

mix:

2 cups flour

2 cups milk

8 eggs

cut up 5 apples in slices

mix 3/4 cup of sugar with some cinnamon

heat oven at 425 degrees.

melt some butter in pan.

pour the batter in pan.

bake until almost firm.

take out of oven, put apples and sugar on top of it.

put in oven again for 5 (?) minutes until apples are a bit soft.

enjoy.

You could make 'Dutch baby', I use at least 8 eggs when I make it for one adult and 3 young kids. You could easily double the recipe. It's very sweet and my kids find the name hilarious (we are Dutch :lol:). BTW, it's not a Dutch recipe, no one here has heard of it.

mix:

2 cups flour

2 cups milk

8 eggs

cut up 5 apples in slices

mix 3/4 cup of sugar with some cinnamon

heat oven at 425 degrees.

melt some butter in pan.

pour the batter in pan.

bake until almost firm.

take out of oven, put apples and sugar on top of it.

put in oven again for 5 (?) minutes until apples are a bit soft.

enjoy.

That sounds a lot like my "German Pancake" recipe. (My dad lived in Germany for a while, though, and never had anything resembling it there, so I have no idea about where that name came from either. I call it "oven pancake" so my kids don't get on me about the dang name.) I think my recipe calls for 1 C flour, 1 C milk, and 6 eggs, and then you pour it into a rectangular baking pan in which you've melted a lot of butter in the oven. Then you bake it in a hot oven (425, 450, I forget) for about 20 minutes until it's starting to brown around the edges. And the edges poof WAY up, btw, so it looks more like some kind of a crust or shell, rather than just a flat cake or whatever. We just put applesauce or cherry pie filling on it after it comes out of the oven, but I may have to try putting apples on top at the end of the baking, as that sounds yummy too. Maybe fresh peaches...

Anyway, I've also used half of this recipe and baked it in a pie dish, then taken it out of the oven and made it into a "breakfast pizza" my family loves. I cook up some breakfast sausage with some onions and peppers (other veggies could work too) and make the drippings into gravy. I pour all that into the "crust" and add some scrambled eggs and cheese, and then put it back in the oven long enough to melt the cheese and heat through anything that wasn't already hot. Yummy stuff. Not the most low-fat dish in the world, but uses lots of eggs. :)

Edited by MamaSheep

I need some ideas on how to use eggs FAST!! Our chickens all started laying a couple weeks ago and I need to find more interesting ways to use eggs! We are selling some, but yesterday we got 56 eggs!! Right now I think I have 8 or 9 dozen eggs in the fridge. I would like to find recipes or ideas that use eggs for lunches or dinners. So please bombard me with your ideas (we are getting tired of egg salad and deviled eggs!LOL!).Thanks so much for your help in advance...

:D:D We live in NJ, drop some off here!!

Robin