Menu

Teaching Reading 1st Grade ??

Guest mainemomma

Guest mainemomma

Hi all,

In the last two weeks I have begun adding more into my daughter's school work - since she is in "first grade," now. We are doing lesson 75 of the Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading and she is reading the last set (set five) of BOB Books.

Wondering if there are any books out there after the BOB books that your children loved. We are soon to be done with the BOB books and I have no idea where to go next.

Also, I am wondering if my daughter is appropriate for grade level 1 - have we progressed enough during the "k" year? If she was in public school would she be learning concepts earlier? Need some input on this please!

Thanks for your suggestions,

Christy (aka mainemomma)

Our newspaper just had an article where by third grade all kids had to be reading "proficiently" or they would not be allowed to enter 4th grade. But now I'm hearing that some teachers expect kids to enter kindergarten reading. :confused: Our two older boys were reading at 5 but our 6-year-old is still figuring it out. She is in first grade this year too and she just didn't get the idea of reading until recently.

We have been using the Spell to Write and Read curriculum.

Guest mainemomma

We are just working on the basic long vowel sounds (silent or magic e) now. She is mastering that in the final set of BOB books after that we will do the following lessons (soon) and I don't have books for these concepts yet:

Soft C

Soft G

Adding S to the end of long vowel words

-Section 8 Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading-

Common Spellings for long a = ai

Vowel Pair AY and long a

Vowel Pair EA, EI, EY as long a

-Section 9-

Vowel Pair EE (she knows this already)

Vowel Pair EA as long e (like meat or read)

Vowel Pair IE as long e (field or chief)

Section 10

Vowel Pair IE as long e (like field)

Vowel Pair IE as long i (like pie)

Y as long i (like by, my, try)

If you know of any phonic blend books out there to help reinforce these concepts I would love to know about. We are supplementing with Explode the Code and she loves these workbooks....just need more reading books.

Thanks! ~Christy (mainemomma)

In our local district they expect kids to leave Kindergarten having mastered the sounds both the upper and lower case letters make as well as just beginning to blend 3 letter CVC words. Some kids, however have not mastered the blending yet and they're still fine to move on to 1st grade.

She sounds like she's right on track! :)

After the BoB books you can move into the leveled early readers like DIck and Jane, Little Bear, Frog and Toad, Biscuit, etc...

Have fun!

With my two also at this stage, I feel like I've become a bit of an expert...

For the earliest readers, while there are some duds in both of these, there's The Green Light Readers series and the Step Into Reading series, both of which have some very, very easy titles that are also very short. These are not great books, but they're okay and have a sense of plot or humor and feel like a "real" book. They're not strictly early phonics and expect a good number of "sight" words, but the "Level 1" books in both can be done by a kid who has done the first couple BOB book sets. There's also the Usborne early readers and phonics readers. Those are more phonics based. Finally, the Level 1 and Level 1-2 books of the We Both Read series are more phonics based and most of the Level 1 books can be read with a small number of sight words and CVC words with a few blends. Finally, my kids were especially fond of the See Otto series by David Milgrim. These are pretty simple with maybe a couple of words that you might need to help with.

Okay, onto the more fun stuff for the kids who can do more than just the very basics... still easy stuff but I do consider these great literature (for early readers anyway)...

The Elephant and Piggie series by Mo Willems

The Fly Guy series by Tedd Arnold

The Cowgirl Kate and Cocoa books by Erica Silverman

The Henry and Mudge Books by Cynthia Rylant

The Mr. Putter and Tabby books by Cynthia Rylant

The Poppleton series by Cynthia Rylant

The TOON Book readers (especially The Benny and Penny books!) by various authors

Then there are the classics...

All your standard Seuss, Berenstains (the ones like The Bears' Picnic or The Bear Scouts... not the moral lesson ones) and so forth...

The Frog and Toad series by Arnold Lobel

Mouse Soup by Arnold Lobel

The Little Bear series by Arnold Lobel

There are more, of course... but that would get anyone started...

Guest mainemomma

The Nora Gaydos books are exactly what I was looking for! Thanks:) I just ordered them from amazon. Thank you also to everyone who responded with suggestions - I have some of the books that were listed and I am excited about getting some of the others soon. ~Christy