Menu

Book w/ plastic overlays of human body?

stripe

I've been looking for a book with plastic (or similar material) overlays of the human body. I will be using it for young children but it does not have to be childlike.

I have several anatomy books, including a Childcraft encyclopedia, the Usborne First Encyclopedia of the Human Body, and the Human Body book illustrated by Cornelius de Witt, but none have an overlay.

Could someone recommend books with such a thing?

Edited by stripe

We have one and I think it is DK publishing. It's pretty simplistic so definitely for a younger kid. I think the old World Book encyclopedias had those too. I remember having an old set and there was a pretty detailed set of transparencies in it.

I got it at a thrift store, but here is it on amazon. Looks like it is out of print, but could buy it used there as well:

http://www.amazon.com/My-First-Body-Book-Publishing/dp/1564588939/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1283885544&sr=8-13

Well, you know any book I have came from the thrift store. :D

So I did check what's on my shelf, and I have a book from Reader's Digest Children's Books called The Human Body, A Fascinating See-through View of How Bodies Work. Since I probably paid a quarter or so for it, I would consider it okay. It's 11" X 8", so not a large book.

I do have the Childcraft book called About Me that has the overlays you are speaking of. They are on pp. 43 and 45 of the 1969 Childcraft Annual of this title. I wouldn't say I'm very impressed with it, but again, it's okay.

What about making your own overlays with some of that clear stuff you get by the yard at Walmart cut to the size you'd like. If you had a nice picture book of what you have in mind, use that, and let your child trace over the parts with colored markers. It could be their own booklet of the human body. You just need the base picture of a body, then each sheet made of a system. It could be fun...;)

I have two books sort of like this:

DK Human Body Revealed--The overlays are of individual systems though not the whole body being built. (Minimal focus on reproduction-I don't think there are even photos of reproductive organs. Would that help for the young children part?)

The Human Body by Millikin (publisher)--This is a worksheet book designed for use in a classroom. However, it includes many overhead transparancies. I think they look like they could be overlaid to create a body image but they aren't perfect matches.

There is another book called the Body Book that through photocopying and coloring allows you to build a body-system by system. Would that help?

We have one and I think it is DK publishing. It's pretty simplistic so definitely for a younger kid. I think the old World Book encyclopedias had those too. I remember having an old set and there was a pretty detailed set of transparencies in it.

I got it at a thrift store, but here is it on amazon. Looks like it is out of print, but could buy it used there as well:

http://www.amazon.com/My-First-Body-Book-Publishing/dp/1564588939/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1283885544&sr=8-13

I have the DK book--and think it is great.

Found it on paperbackswap, but I think it is also cheap used on Amazon.

It was one of my favorite paperback swap finds!

This is the one we have and you can get it for 1 cent, 3.99 shipping at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/My-First-Book-Human-Body/dp/185830377X/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1283904718&sr=8-11

It's just adorable. It has a boy section and a girl's section and it is simple, but yet thorough covering, the heart, blood, lungs, stomach, bones and joints circulation, liver, kidneys, the nervous system, muscles, the urinary system, teeth, hair-nails-and skin, the senses, and the miracle of life!

Just love it!

Dee :)

ps each page opens up to one of those see through plastic little pages where you can see all the parts right through.

Did you see the nice lapbook and other suggestions at squidoo? I'm using them along with the Donald Silver book (Easy Make and Learn Projects--Human Body), and of course, the Human Body Book, by Golden Press as our spine. I did take a peek at Amazon for the Donald Silver book, and it's gone up to $30 or so. :ohmy:

I will say that the Donald Silver book is nice to have, but I wouldn't pay that price. For something in regards to my previous post, what about making that overlay book with your child using transparencies or even page protectors? That could work too, and as I said before, it could be fun...:D

Did you see the nice lapbook and other suggestions at squidoo?

No....I will take a look at it, though!

I'm using them along with the Donald Silver book (Easy Make and Learn Projects--Human Body), and of course, the Human Body Book, by Golden Press as our spine. I did take a peek at Amazon for the Donald Silver book, and it's gone up to $30 or so. :ohmy:
I finally found one that's in print:

Easy-to-make Hands-On Models That Teach (ISBN 0545048737)

and it's about $13 right now on Amazon

I love the Human Body Book (Golden Press)!

I will say that the Donald Silver book is nice to have, but I wouldn't pay that price. For something in regards to my previous post, what about making that overlay book with your child using transparencies or even page protectors? That could work too, and as I said before, it could be fun...:D
No kidding. I have My Body by Patty Carratello, and I think making a life-sized kid would be fun instead. Edited by stripe

No kidding. I have My Body by Patty Carratello, and I think making a life-sized kid would be fun instead.

Well, I was going to suggest to make the overlays life-sized, but that would take a bit more of that plastic sheeting from Walmart or another fabric store. I think we may try it, as I have on hand a roll of that stuff that I bought for some other projects. I don't remember it as expensive, and you could get the thinner type if you wanted.

Sorry, I forgot to link earlier to the lapbook. I'm glad you found it. I know we're going to make the circulation game from E. McHenry's site.

Now, what I'd like to find is a nice jello cell project to print. That would make my day.

Thank you for all these ideas!

It was more wanting a not-very-complex model of all the systems.

Sorry-went back to check the book again...

Human Body by Milliken is detailed but not to a pre-med/med school level. I think the middle school aged rating it gives itself is spot on. But I wouldn't hesitate to use it for younger kids either. Has worksheets and lots of transparency style charts with a focus on knowing system parts and primary functions. (This book provides more complete coverage on the reproductive system. It is discussed scientifically and has diagrams of male/female internal structures but not external structures.)

DK Human Body has the great DK photos and overlays, covers the systems simplistically but not childishly. However, they don't include heath class type photos of the reproductive system but they do discuss it.

Hope that helps more.

• 13 years later...