Menu

pls help !how do history with logic age child with wtm method

fmburney

do you all follow wtm method to teach history? Do you make outline one day?

summary another? look up in atlas and on the globe? make timelines.

it seeems like alot work . Can you clarify for me which days you do diffrent

history activities;outlining, summaries, research, redaing.how many times week

you do it and on avg how long it takes. im doing schedule this week for fall.

i have 11year old boy and was wondering outside history spine how many days a

week do you set aside structured reading and for how long?(history books

nonfiction or historical fiction thats not part of his independent reading

time.my son not crazy about "structured reading"(we use timer)how make sure they

are actually redaing the material not skimmimg>hes great reader but prefers free

reading where he reads alot fantasy

i really appreciate it your help

mariss

progress.gif

I was inspired to try WTM history this year but couldn't get comfortable with planning the details. I found Biblioplan which basically organized it for me. We are studying ancients, and they provide maps and a timeline. They also have Cool History pages which have helped us pick out the most important points of a SOTW chapter. For K-2 you can buy coloring pages that follow SOTW. I'm letting my 2nd grader use these. Biblioplan also provides additional info in the form of their Parent Companion but that is a HUGE electronic document that you download and use via computer. It is against copyright rules to print it.

It schedules readers, BUT you have to decide what and how much to read. This was the part I had the most trouble with. It looks a lot like Sonlight as far as the planning grid, yet not all of the books were clearly planned from beginning to end. This was a "con" for me since using SL for 2 years. It could be a "pro" for others because it gives you the ability to schedule as you want.

Bottom line: Biblioplan has allowed me to try WTM history by making available readers, reference books (encyclopedias and such), writing suggestions (haven't used these yet), maps, timeline, and as a bonus, Cool History pages.

You might think of this as a stepping stone to trying WTM history independently next year once becoming more familiar with this curriculum.

Do you have access to a copy of The Well Trained Mind that you can look at? In the logic section on history, there are suggestions for each grade 5-8. SWB breaks it down to three sessions.

The first session is to read and outline 2-4 pages in a history spine (like the Kingfisher History Encyclopedia or one of several other similar titles.) Day 2, find the locations from the reading on a globe, map and/or atlas. Do additional reading on a topic from the first day's reading. Day 3 continue additional reading and write a summary of two topics from the first day's reading.

The chapter in the book gives a lot more detail. For example, the outlining gets progressively more difficult as student gets older. The outlining and summarizing will help you know that they've read with attention to detail.

Our family has a 6th and 7th grader, but we're studying ancients this year. But we haven't been doing much outlining. So I'm doing a few months at the easier outlining levels. My plan is to move up the difficulty every few months until they are more on the grade level.

I have the oldest edition of WTM.