Menu

When you lose an Ebay bid at the very last minute...

Just like someone else said, you tell the program you're highest bid and it comes in seconds before the end and bids for you. Then on the off chance someone else does it later than you, it bids again if you maximum has not been met.

Good grief! I had no idea there was such an art/science to it! I think I'm too old-fashioned. ;)

Most e-bay sales are won in the last few minutes. When I'm bidding I'll usually start low just in case I forget about it later, then I'll watch it in the last 10 minutes to decide if I want to up my bid or not. If so, as others said, I'll put my max bid in. If I win, I do. If I don't, such is life. That's the way auctions work.

If I'm really interested in something and don't have time to watch it when it ends I'll put my max bid in first and let the system just up it if necessary until the max is reached. I prefer not to do that just because it can encourage others to bid higher early on.

Oh yeah...I've been sniped and have learned to be a master sniper.

I watch, but don't bid until the last minute of the auction. Then, I bid using my absolute max bid. Sometimes it's high enough to win, sometimes it's not.

I've placed things for sale on Ebay that had only 1 or 2 bids, but dozens of "watchers." Usually, the more people watching, the more likely the price is going to be driven up in the last couple of minutes.

I'm actually not very active on Ebay, but when I do play, I play to win. :)

Yup, sniping. I am superb at it. If dh wants a golf club, he will put me in charge of winning it. Sniping really makes people angry -- I have received some really nasty emails from folks when I have won something in the last few seconds on ebay. The other side of the coin is that once when I was sniping for a pair of custom made window treatments (Scalamandre fabric - just gorgeous) it was dark in the room, and I wasn't wearing my glasses (WHAT was I thinking?) and I hit an '8' instead of something much lower. Thankfully, the individual who was sniping against me either ran out of time or was more reasonable than me. THAT could have cost me a bundle.

And, THAT is sniping.

I only buy one of two ways on eBay: BuyItNow! or by sniping. I use an online service called HammerSnipe that does it automatically so I don't even have to be online to make the purchase.

OK, I'm rollin' up my sleeves and gonna get rough. :D I don't plan to lose without a proper fight next time! Thanks, everyone!