Menu

Is this enough for 8th grade

This is the 1st year out of 4 years homeschooling that I have put together my own curriculum. My ds is getting done rather early, so I have been a bit concerned that I don't have enough scheduled for him. However, he does get right to work and stays on task until he is done. He doesn't like having things hanging over his head so when something needs to be done he works hard and gets it done. Same with school. I'm not sure if it's his get the job done attitude or that I don't have enough for him to do. Here is what we are doing...

TT Algebra

K12 Language Arts - this includes literature, grammar, vocab and comp

Apologia General Science

MOH 1

Typing Instructor

Rosetta Stone Spanish

Reading that I assign currently- The Giver

If this seems light, please throw me some ideas on what to add in!

Yes, he takes tennis lessons and will be joining a league this year. We are 45 minutes from almost everything, so we have had to limit some of our outside activities or we would be spending most of our day in the car. Which is why I want to move hehe.

As far as logic, any ideas on favorites? Thanks!

This is the 1st year out of 4 years homeschooling that I have put together my own curriculum. My ds is getting done rather early, so I have been a bit concerned that I don't have enough scheduled for him. However, he does get right to work and stays on task until he is done. He doesn't like having things hanging over his head so when something needs to be done he works hard and gets it done. Same with school. I'm not sure if it's his get the job done attitude or that I don't have enough for him to do. Here is what we are doing...

TT Algebra

K12 Language Arts - this includes literature, grammar, vocab and comp

Apologia General Science

MOH 1

Typing Instructor

Rosetta Stone Spanish

If this seems light, please throw me some ideas on what to add in!

It looks very similar to what we are doing for 8th:

TT Algebra

RS Japanese

Spelling Power

Working With Words (Vocab)

Jump in Writing & Writing Strands

Simple Schooling Middle School Chemistry

Reading - Novels I choose with interactive literature guides

BJU American Republic

Artistic Pursuits high school

Painter 11, Corel Draw, and ToonBoom Studio (computer graphics)

My oldest hated Logic when we went through her 8th grade year so I don't feel the need to add that. I can't imagine this child would like it any better. Since we have worked so hard the previous 8 years I feel it is time for him to follow his own preferences a little more from now on - which is why we spend one entire day each week on computer stuff and art.

I'm not sure if it's his get the job done attitude or that I don't have enough for him to do. Here is what we are doing...

My 8th grader has a similar attitude. He spends around 3-4 hours on schoolwork.

TT Algebra Saxon Algebra 1/2

K12 Language Arts - this includes literature, grammar, vocab and comp Rod & Staff English (Writing & Grammar)

Apologia General Science Apologia Physical Science

MOH 1 History Odyssey (Includes literature and writing)

Typing Instructor Pentime Penmanship 8

Rosetta Stone Spanish Oxford Latin 1: second half and Ancient Greek (His choice)

The only real difference I see is that you're adding extra reading, and we're adding in Introductory Logic. :001_smile:

Thank you all!

I made a mistake with what I posted for science, we are doing the physical science - I said general.

Okay, a couple more questions... do you feel your 8th graders are doing much writing other than in composition? I am having my ds take notes in science and write book reviews on the books I assign. Still, it doesn't seem like much.

Also, how much do your 8th graders do own their own?

My 8th grader is doing the following:

History-5x week

Geography-2x week

Vocabulary- 2x week

Analytical Grammar- 5x week

online typing-we shoot for 2-3x week

Algebra-online class with Ms. Jann

Science- pre-physics online with Greg Landry

independent reading daily book of choice

LL8-5x week

Bible-independent reading/devotionals

Logic-The Fallacy Detective-3x week

P.E.-golf, weights, bike riding

Art-local arts center weekly class

Writing as assigned with other subjects

I am trying to have him do more independent reading of subjects, note-taking and encourage more time management of his own. It's a challenge for both of us but we are doing pretty good.

do you feel your 8th graders are doing much writing other than in composition? I am having my ds take notes in science and write book reviews on the books I assign. Still, it doesn't seem like much.

Also, how much do your 8th graders do own their own?

Writing: DD takes notes on history and science which adds up to a LOT of writing. She will also have to write about the Great Books she reads.We are only three weeks into the school year, and so far she has mostly read.

My DD does her science reading independently, can ask me questions; she attends lectures and gets then some help with the homework from me. On math she works with some assistance from Dad.

History and English are largely independent; we discus her reading and think about questions worth exploring. I do French together with her.

My 8th grader writes something everyday for Sonlight LA. He also writes papers for LL. I occasionally assign something else, but he hates writing and sometimes that seems like a LOT!

Your list looks short to me, but I think it is just because the K-12 LA covers several pieces for me. We do sonlight LA, LL, Easy Grammar and Wordly Wise to cover that one subject. We do add in logic. We are finishing the Orbiting Logic series we started last year, then we'll move to Fallacy Detective.

ETA: My 8th grader does Math & Science with me. Most of the rest he does on his own.