Menu

Hooked on Phonics K, what to do after?

CookIslandsMommy

Hello,

WE are using Hooked On Phonics with my 4 year old (she turns 5 in January). She is doing K - and is doing fine :) We really like using it.

Has anyone else used HOP with a 4 year old - what & where does this leave them for homeschool curriculum afterwards?

- which curriculum follows nicely from this

- or will she be too advanced now for something like Abeka K?

I intend using the next HOP, but are there any curriculums that I can tweek slightly now that she already knows the basics of phonics & is starting to read first books already.

Hello,

WE are using Hooked On Phonics with my 4 year old (she turns 5 in January). She is doing K - and is doing fine :) We really like using it.

Has anyone else used HOP with a 4 year old - what & where does this leave them for homeschool curriculum afterwards?

- which curriculum follows nicely from this

- or will she be too advanced now for something like Abeka K?

I intend using the next HOP, but are there any curriculums that I can tweek slightly now that she already knows the basics of phonics & is starting to read first books already.

Well, at that age, I didn't want anything with too much handwriting. My son started HOP K shortly after he turned 4 and finished it in a few months. I then started him on SL K and he was way... too far ahead in the reading portion but not quite there for the writing. I stopped SL K (and HWT because my son didn't like it) continued with HOP 1 and started ETC 1 and our own Handwriting sheets. We did continue with SL's K readers which my son read in no time and I have been adding our own readers since, besides also continuing with the HOP readers (my son really liked the HOP readers). Oh, we also used some of the MCP readers too. When he was ready for more handwriting I added Horizons Phonics K but we were doing if I remember correctly two lessons a week at first since Horizons has a lot of writing and I already had him doing all the ETC books including the half books (we finished book 3 1/2 recently). Adrian finished HOP 2 shortly after his fifth birthday and we have continued with ETC and Horizons since. That's what has worked for us though :). When picking programs it's good to consider your child's learning style and what the child can handle. Horizons is very intensive (4-6 worksheets a day) and the K level is considered a grade 1 level. HTH.

ETA: Adrian is now reading at a late 3rd early 4th grade (at least) and is reading chapter books but with our curriculum choices I keep him at level.

Edited by Guest

My son will be 4 in the Fall and we're just a few lessons away from finishing HOP K level. I plan to continue with HOP 1st and 2nd since I already have them on hand. From there I plan to use All About Spelling to help cement the rules he surely isn't retaining right now.

We also do Handwriting Without Tears PreK. We're about half way through and it's a lot of fun. It's a really interactive introduction to writing.

I also add in games based on phonics/reading as I come across them,and lots and LOTS of reading (by him and to him). It is kind of hard to choose an all-in-one curriculum with an early reader. Hope this helps!

My son will be 4 in the Fall and we're just a few lessons away from finishing HOP K level. I plan to continue with HOP 1st and 2nd since I already have them on hand. From there I plan to use All About Spelling to help cement the rules he surely isn't retaining right now.

We also do Handwriting Without Tears PreK. We're about half way through and it's a lot of fun. It's a really interactive introduction to writing.

I also add in games based on phonics/reading as I come across them,and lots and LOTS of reading (by him and to him). It is kind of hard to choose an all-in-one curriculum with an early reader. Hope this helps!

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I could've written almost the exact same post except my DS is turning 5.

I'm supplementing HOP with BOB Books and other easy readers from the library. I help him with the latter when it comes to the more advanced phonics.