Menu

s/o Kissing Dads

I do not like the whole huggy-kissy deal w/extended family. As I mentioned in that thread, if I'm married to or birthed you, any affection is welcomed, but otherwise, its hands off! I've always been like this, just to the nth degree since RSD hit.

Am I the only one perfectly content with a small wave from across the room?

I should mention that all my family is across country, so 'space-invaders' are in-laws, most of whom I might see annually. Even in my family I've always ducked the close encounters though.

So is it odd that I don't like strangers-with-some-sort-of-familial-claim in my space?

Wolf's grandfather was the exception. I adored him.

I'm not huggy........ not even with my own siblings, etc. Heck, there's one or two siblings that I don't even talk to.....one viciously attacked me on FB about homeschooling and he can die without me ever talking to him again and that's just fine.

I come from a large family and am not really close to any of them....i love them, wish them well in their lives... but don't faun over them nor they me. I have always contended that just because my parents procreated and had a bunch of kids that I have to feel more fond of them then I do anyone else. That said, I love my folks and would do anything for them..... they are amazing.

Nope, I'm not huggy except with my hubby and kids....we are very, very close.

Space invaders. LOL. I LOVE THAT!

I prefer to maintain an 18 inch perimeter around me.

NO huggie and kissy stuff unless I gave birth to you or said, "I do," to you.

I put up with it, but I cannot stand it. You'd think the grimace would be off-putting, but people seem to think I need the hug all the more. AGHGHGHGH.

Glad to know I'm not alone in this!

Its made me feel guilty in the past, esp MIL whining to Wolf that I didn't like her b/c I wasn't huggy-kissy w/her. Then I started to wonder why *I* had to constantly be uncomfortable.

Now of course, I'm hyper vigilant. Before, I'd even used holding a baby as a shield. Yes, I have no shame :tongue_smilie:

Space invaders. LOL. I LOVE THAT!

I prefer to maintain an 18 inch perimeter around me.

NO huggie and kissy stuff unless I gave birth to you or said, "I do," to you.

I put up with it, but I cannot stand it. You'd think the grimace would be off-putting, but people seem to think I need the hug all the more. AGHGHGHGH.

Oh yes. That the aversion can be overcome if you'd just get over it.

I've resigned myself to offending MIL, and only giving glancing 'hello' and 'goodbye' physical contact. The woman gets jealous of the kids for pity sakes. That and I don't/won't call her 'Mom'.

I do not like the whole huggy-kissy deal w/extended family. As I mentioned in that thread, if I'm married to or birthed you, any affection is welcomed, but otherwise, its hands off! I've always been like this, just to the nth degree since RSD hit.

Am I the only one perfectly content with a small wave from across the room?

I should mention that all my family is across country, so 'space-invaders' are in-laws, most of whom I might see annually. Even in my family I've always ducked the close encounters though.

So is it odd that I don't like strangers-with-some-sort-of-familial-claim in my space?

Wolf's grandfather was the exception. I adored him.

No, I don't think it's odd.

I, myself, am quite touchy-feely. I like cuddling with girlfriends. I share kisses on the cheeks with in-relations, and my own family. Also, having lived for a while in Europe, where kissing on the cheek was an everyday greeting with friends in my dorm. . .well, I fit right in.

However, if that's not your bag, nothing wrong with that. I do my best to pick up on cues and not touchy on folks who don't want me groping them :)

T.

No, I don't think it's odd.

I, myself, am quite touchy-feely. I like cuddling with girlfriends. I share kisses on the cheeks with in-relations, and my own family. Also, having lived for a while in Europe, where kissing on the cheek was an everyday greeting with friends in my dorm. . .well, I fit right in.

However, if that's not your bag, nothing wrong with that. I do my best to pick up on cues and not touchy on folks who don't want me groping them :)

T.

:iagree: I am a HUGE hugger. I hope to remember all of those who aren't..... just in case I ever meet any of you in person. I hold out no hope, though..... my memory is the embarrassment of all embarrassments. ;)

I am getting more huggable as I age but it's been a journey for me. I think I used to be pretty prickly, but I think physical affection is a lovely thing generally speaking and I admire cultures like the Italians that all hug and kiss freely. I dont do what makes me uncomfortable, but as the years go by, I am more likely to hug. I dont kiss much, I guess, but if someone comes up to me and wants to kiss me on both cheeks...well, I admire them for their courage! :)

My whole extended family is the hug-and-cheek-or-air-kiss type. Male to male is a handshake that usually merges into a "manly" hug.

The first time I visited my in-laws after an extended absence (and on a holiday, to boot - holidays definitely require hugs and kisses in my family), I automatically hugged and kissed my mil and fil. It took a while for it to sink in that the reason it felt kind of awkward was because they are NOT a huggy/kissy family! :blush:

I'm not very physically affectionate with people in general. I can't remember the last time my MIL hugged me. My wedding? That was over ten years ago, we have a good relationship, it seems like we'd have hugged since then. My husband's brother usually gives me a quick hug when he sees me after a while. Same with his grandparents. Or my brothers and sisters. I hug my mom when I see her because it's always been a while since I've seen her.

That said, I'm very affectionate with my own husband and children. My kids get hugs and kisses every day.

Ha, my whole family is the hands-off type. The only ones that aren't are older relatives. My parents get angry when I dodge relatives but I never understood why being apart of my family gives people the right to invade my personal space, especially if I've never met them.

I met my brother when I was 9 and my sister was about 10 or 11. She automatically was attached at the hip to him, even saying "I love you" at the end of the visit. I never once felt obligated to say "I love you" to a relative because they were a relative, but I suppose that is a whole other issue. People just seem to think blood-relation means much more than it actually does.

I don't like to be touched, except by immediate family. I let the IL's hug me, but it bugs me. Everyone else is astute enough to get the hands-off vibe.

:D Yep. I really hope dh appreciates that I do the huggy thing with his mother, because he knows that I hate it, she doesn't even like me and I don't like her.

Worse than huggy relatives are other people's husbands who are the huggy types. (ARGH! GO AWAY! It's not that I don't like you, I just DON'T want to hug you!) My dh is a bit of a weirdy, he'll hug just about anyone at any time. I think he's hugged my brother more times than I have. I'm not sure I've hugged my brother since he was a baby though. That'd be weird. He'd probably run screaming.

Rosie