Menu

Dictation using DC's own narration......

Capt_Uhura

Hello Hive,

I have a question. How true should DS stay to his own narration when writing dictation? We are using WWE3. He reads a passage, gives a summary, I write it down w/out him looking. Then I read it back to him 2x and he writes it down. Sometimes he edits as he is writing, combining sentences, substituting a synonym etc. Often, it is a better wording or flows better, for example. Should I make him stick to his original? My gut tells me no but open to changing my mind. Isn't the point to get his own thoughts down? If he can do that with good accuracy, editing as he does it, isn't that what we all do? I do it even when I'm taking notes from a lecture. I will substitute a shorter word etc to aid in getting the notes down.

When he does dictation from a passage, I ask him to stay true to the passage and not make substitutions.

Here's an example from today. Part of his narration:

Melvin fixed the broken ice cream machine, so his father gave him a Silver Zephyr bicycle in return.

What he wrote:

Melvin fixed the broken ice cream machine, so in return, his father gave him a Silver Zephyr bicycle.

Thanks,

Capt_Uhura

That ambiguity is one of the reasons that I don't use WWE.

Sounds like he is doing great. Go with your gut. Being able to edit one's thoughts on the fly, without loosing the original train of thought, is a more advanced skill that simply holding those thoughts in your head.

Have you tried having him write his narration down directly -- without you writing it down first? He could tell it to you once or twice, but then write it down himself?

Yep, that's the next step for us. I believe that is how it's done in WWE4. It'll take us a month or so to finish up WWE3. For the next dictation, I think I will just have him write down his own summary after telling it to me once or twice and see how he does. When he's writing his own stories, he doesn't seem to have any issue w/ keeping his own thoughts in his head.

thanks for your thoughts!

Capt_Uhura