Menu

Bursitis...

I have bursitis in my hips (and mild osteo-arthirtis in both). I've been going to therapy, applying ice, taking turmeric and Osteo-biflex (just ordered Ginger too), I've joined the Y and am doing water aerobics and I'm still having lot of problems. Shooting pain on one side, both sides hurt to sleep on, I have a bad back so it's not good to sleep long on my back and I' spend the night tossing. Both sides hurt and my IT bands sometimes make my thighs ache like toothaches. My husband rubs my legs and back for me at least twice a day and I'm trying to do stretches (need to fit this in more). Is there anything else I can do that I haven't thought of? I was trying to stay away from meds, etc.

Are you low on vitamin D?

I only ask b/c I was extremely low and was having bursitis in the hips as well. I took steriod packs even and they didn't help. Once I go the bloodwork back, I started 50,000 units of Vit D, it disappeared in 48 hours. I did that for 2 months and now take 2,000mg daily as maintenance.

Are you low on vitamin D?

I only ask b/c I was extremely low and was having bursitis in the hips as well. I took steriod packs even and they didn't help. Once I go the bloodwork back, I started 50,000 units of Vit D, it disappeared in 48 hours. I did that for 2 months and now take 2,000mg daily as maintenance.

I had it checked a little more than a year ago and it was good. Maybe I should check again. That would be a nice way to fix things!

Have you researched dietary changes that reduce inflammation in the body?

DD is currently in PT and our therapist told us to take 1/2 cup fresh cut pineapple three times daily, specifically as an anti-inflammatory. Also, he uses a foam roller and literally rolls it on her leg upwards along the IT band. He also recommends this for reducing inflammation ("releases built up" toxins/fluids/something like that).

I'm sure you could do the pineapple, but ask before rolling the IT band, to be sure it won't irritate the bursus.

Hugs to you, I have had tendinitis in one shoulder, I can only begin to imagine the level of pain you must be feeling! The only other thing that ifound helpful was *seriously* diligent icing.

Edited by AuntieM