Menu

What do you consider necessary for Kindergarten?

Angel in FL

• 1 month later...

Wow this thread too awhile to read lol... um anyways heres what I do now. With my oldest 2 I did too much, and had my kids doing several subjects and 2 math programs.... I wish I knew better! I realized it would have been much easier to teach (and learn) most things at a later age.... so this is what I'm doing with my younger 2. Whats the saying... "It's better late than early?"

Pre k- I focus on letter sounds, and numbers 1-10 both recognition and the understanding what each number represents. Colors and Shapes.. I do as much as my kids want... right now my 4 yr old isnt interested in anything but coloring and thats ok. She'll get there. My littles like playing starfall.com for fun lol... and my 5 yr old ( doing prek) likes letter and number flashcards.

kindy- Reading is our main focus...blending letters together and reading short vowel words, later in the year I add in the long vowels. Math Basic addition

1st- Since reading is well established by now...I focus on math more this year than I did in pre-k and kindy.

1. Spiritual Formation -- Help the child build a spiritual foundation, according to your beliefs (if applicable)

2. Oral/Aural Language -- Help the child build skill in listening to and speaking English (and/or your native language)

• Face-to-face conversations
  • Family meal times, with children included
  • Sing many songs with words
  • Talk about words, give simple definitions, ask questions, explain what you are doing
  • Read aloud daily (or nearly so) -- picture books, nursery rhymes, nursery tales, folk tales, fables, poetry, and Bible stories
  • Practice oral storytelling with story felts, puppets, costumes
  • Listen to audio books during daily Quiet Time
  • Model correct grammar and speech
  • Gently correct incorrect grammar and speech

3. Print Literacy -- Help the child build skill in reading and writing English (and/or your native language)

• Instruct in phonics (consistent, brief, patient, explicit, systematic)
  • Guide the child's reading practice
  • Read aloud daily (or nearly so) -- picture books, nursery rhymes, nursery tales, folk tales, fables, poetry, and Bible stories
  • Instruct in handwriting and copywork

4. Play, Pretend, Explore -- Help the child play, pretend, and explore

• Outdoor play time
  • Sandbox
  • Pretend play (I have girls, so here it's "baby dolls" or "kitchen stuff" or "ponies" or "costumes" or something else that's pink and purple ;))
  • Costumes, "jewelry," feather boas.... :D
  • Art & craft materials (I have girls who LOVE glue and glitter :lol:)
  • A child's garden, a small pet, or something else that's tangible and alive (that is, real, not virtual or artificial)
  • A family zoo or aquarium pass

5. Chores, Obedience, Good Manners, and Self-Care -- Teach the child to do chores, obey proper authority, show courtesy, and do self-care

• Make up a bed
  • Clean up a room
  • Fold laundry
  • Dry dishes
  • Empty waste baskets
  • Sweep the floor
  • Say "please"
  • Say "thank you"
  • Say "excuse me"
  • Honor your father and mother
  • Honor your grandparents
  • Pour a drink
  • Make a sandwich
  • Peel a carrot
  • Zipper a coat
  • Tie a shoe
  • Brush your teeth
  • Comb your hair
  • Blow your nose
  • Wipe your bottom :tongue_smilie:(So I'm not still doing this next year when you're a first grader!)

Edited by Sahamamama

i'm thankful for this thread. this is my first year homeschooling and my oldest is in k. i have been overplanning and reoverplanning the next 12 years and i still end up thinking that giving my ker a good phonics foundation, a little math and writing is all that is necessary academically....and even if we didn't, he'd catch up really fast next year.

I've also been trying to get into good habits that will help us as we get further along.

simple things...schedules that work for us, healthy meals, lots of activity indoor and out, lots of reading, cutting out screen time, sitting still little by little, listening, taking care of our things, being loving and forgiving each other...

to the op, i think you are doing enough as long as your daughter is thriving and you are happy with the work load as well. (not that it matters what i think):)

My littlest guy is PreK and basically tags along at will with the 7 year old. He is also enjoying get ready for the code.

But my question is how do your olders respond to the K'r Playing and exploring throughout the day? I find myself torn between them because of course the littler isn't capable or expected to do the work the olders are, yet the olders are resentful. I try to make sure that they all get to play a lot and we all go in walks, and field trips, and do art projects. But it seems like I get pulled in all directions at times.

Necessary for Kindergarten, a list:

lots of time to play

outdoor time in the garden or on walks in the park

time to observe and follow the ant or butterfly or pick flowers and make daisy chains

cuddle time

good picture books that mom reads (Jan Brett, Dr. Suess, Richard Scary, Mo Willems, etc.)

cooking together

doing chores together

laughing together

singing together

playtime with friends to learn how to make friends

painting with watercolors and mixing colors to make new colors

drawing or coloring

cutting and pasting

simple crafts

listening to music

math manipulatives (balance scale, counting bears, legos, abacus, base 10 kit) to play with and explore

learning the alphabet, writing the letters and learning their sounds (preferablly through pictures, sound, physical movements and such to make it a whole body experience, 1 letter per week)

But most of all to enjoy this time. Don't fill it up with school work and "educational" activities. Fill it up with love and adventure and play. This time is so fleeting and you will miss it when it is over.:001_smile:

Just thought I'd add (as someone who sent 2 ds's to a competitive ps for kindy)...they don't get much academics in 1/2 day kindergarten at school either. Our older 2 got music, art, gym and recess once a week. The way I figure it, they maybe got in 30 minutes of academics by the time they finished getting their coats off, circle time, story, special, potty breaks, coats back on...

DS#3 is at home for kindy and all he is required to do right now is HWOT, about 15 minutes of math and 15 minutes Hooked on Phonics. He often hangs around for history and the more interesting bits of science by choice. We have craft projects for him to do as he sits beside us. He does memory work with us at snack time and is thus learning things he doesn't even need to know! (e.g. helping verbs, prepositions) He listens to me read aloud (we do picture books to learn literary elements and science picture books so he can enjoy some of the read alouds as well). We try to read something like Winnie-the-Pooh to him at bedtime a few times a week so it is one on one.

At this age especially, I am astounded at how effective a few minutes of one on one instruction can be.

Brownie

• reading
  • writing -- learn proper strokes, don't fret about neatness
  • formal or informal math
  • read alouds, read alouds, read alouds (fiction and non-fiction, but must be engaging)

Playing, drawing/art, physical activity, etc. we count as life, not school.