Menu

What do you consider necessary for Kindergarten?

Angel in FL

I think it depends on your Kindergartner.

In my opinion, all a Kindergartner really needs to learn is how to read, how to form letters and write simple words, and some basic math.

My Kindergartner will be six in less than two months, is already a fairly proficient reader, already knows basic Kindergarten math, and would be bored stiff if I didn't offer her more. "When can we do more science, mom?" is a common refrain around here.

So my advice is to follow your Kindergartner's lead. If learning to read, write small words, and do Kindergarten math is enough for your daughter, then that's all you need to do. If she needs more, it will be obvious.

Necessary? Reading with her, having her learning to write a bit, and number sense. Everything else we do I consider basic parenting.

I think 99% of what i see ppl doing here is gross overkill in the k-1 range. I think gr k-3 are best unschooled. It is amazing what kids learn via living life. And enriching life with them should not require "curriculum" or textbooks.

In my opinion, all a Kindergartner really needs to learn is how to read, how to form letters and write simple words, and some basic math.

My Kindergartner will be six in less than two months, is already a fairly proficient reader, already knows basic Kindergarten math, and would be bored stiff if I didn't offer her more. "When can we do more science, mom?" is a common refrain around here.

So my advice is to follow your Kindergartner's lead. If learning to read, write small words, and do Kindergarten math is enough for your daughter, then that's all you need to do. If she needs more, it will be obvious.

This is what I agree with too! :iagree:

Well. I'm using Oak Meadow K which to many would seem more like a "preschool" curriculum than anything else. It does not focus on learning to read, compute numbers, write or anything overly academic. Which is what I personally love about it.

It is sort of Waldorf-y. It focuses on learning the uppercase letters of the alphabet via age and development appropriate stories, drawings, and hands on activities (forming the letters out of clay and bread dough, finding them in nature, tying bundles of sticks together to form the letters, tracing them in salt with your finger, and so on). Those stories and drawings and hands on activities comprise the "language arts" and "social studies" aspects of the curriculum.

The numbers 1 to 10 are introduced in the same ways as the letters- via stories and drawings and hands on activities. That's math.

There are crafts (from the Oak Meadow First Book Of Crafts), fairy tales (from the Oak Meadow First Book Of Fairy Tales), and Wee-Sing music and movement activities. Science is simple and nature/season based.

Health is added on using the book "Growing, Growing Strong."

That is what our Kindergarten year is going to be like (starting today, in fact). It will be sweet and gentle and non-rushed/pressured. There will be loads of time for free play, creativity, imagination, etc. Academics are not important to me right now (so I disagree that a Kindergartener "needs" to learn to read, for example, and, in fact, there are "experts" who believe it is better developmentally for children to wait until closer to 8 to learn that! Not that I'm going quite that far, but just saying!).

Oak Meadow deviates from the norm in K-2 the most (and especially in K/1). But they look at the child's development as a whole, not just a child's intellect. And they believe that "childhood is a valuable time and nothing is to be gained from rushing through it." I agree!

Once we get into the higher elementary grades of Oak Meadow (I did OM4 with my daughter last year and just started OM5 with her for this year), it's much more on target with what other kids in that grade level are doing- yet it STILL manages to be much more creative and hands on, rather than dry and textbookish. I love, love, love this about it.

I know you didn't ask me to ramble on and on about my curriculum LOL... but it summed up what I feel a kindergartener "needs." Which isn't much, when it comes to academics, IMHO! :)

Thanks! My daughter will be 5 in January. She knows all of her letter sounds and can read the first several Bob books. She is enjoying McRuffy Phonics/Reading so we're good there. We're doing their modern manuscript because she wants to write "Fancy Nancy" as she calls it. LOL

We're enjoying McRuffy Math K too. I don't know about the SL. I've used some of the older levels but p4/5 seems to just skip around so much and is random. I honestly don't get it. Maybe we'll just read the books. The schedule is just odd.

She is also all about princesses and I have a friend who has written lots of activities based on the Disney ones. Those may be fun too. Ugh! I hate being indecisive.

I consider necessary -

Beginning Phonics

Beginning Math skills

Beginning Handwriting

Filling their little heads with stories, stories, and more stories

Exploring the world - in nature, in art, in music

What I consider overkill -

Tears.

(Note - we do more because it works for my son.)

Well. I'm using Oak Meadow K which to many would seem more like a "preschool" curriculum than anything else. It does not focus on learning to read, compute numbers, write or anything overly academic. Which is what I personally love about it.

It is sort of Waldorf-y. It focuses on learning the uppercase letters of the alphabet via age and development appropriate stories, drawings, and hands on activities (forming the letters out of clay and bread dough, finding them in nature, tying bundles of sticks together to form the letters, tracing them in salt with your finger, and so on). Those stories and drawings and hands on activities comprise the "language arts" and "social studies" aspects of the curriculum.

The numbers 1 to 10 are introduced in the same ways as the letters- via stories and drawings and hands on activities. That's math.

There are crafts (from the Oak Meadow First Book Of Crafts), fairy tales (from the Oak Meadow First Book Of Fairy Tales), and Wee-Sing music and movement activities. Science is simple and nature/season based.

Health is added on using the book "Growing, Growing Strong."

That is what our Kindergarten year is going to be like (starting today, in fact). It will be sweet and gentle and non-rushed/pressured. There will be loads of time for free play, creativity, imagination, etc. Academics are not important to me right now (so I disagree that a Kindergartener "needs" to learn to read, for example, and, in fact, there are "experts" who believe it is better developmentally for children to wait until closer to 8 to learn that! Not that I'm going quite that far, but just saying!).

Oak Meadow deviates from the norm in K-2 the most (and especially in K/1). But they look at the child's development as a whole, not just a child's intellect. And they believe that "childhood is a valuable time and nothing is to be gained from rushing through it." I agree!

Once we get into the higher elementary grades of Oak Meadow (I did OM4 with my daughter last year and just started OM5 with her for this year), it's much more on target with what other kids in that grade level are doing- yet it STILL manages to be much more creative and hands on, rather than dry and textbookish. I love, love, love this about it.

I know you didn't ask me to ramble on and on about my curriculum LOL... but it summed up what I feel a kindergartener "needs." Which isn't much, when it comes to academics, IMHO! :)

LOL! I bought and returned OM K earlier this summer. It did look good but I really didn't get it. Honestly, my daughter wants to learn to read and do some traditional school things so to not do that with her wouldn't be good for me. I do totally believe some of their philosophies though.

I just want to add....

mud

sand

water

maybe some bugs

:D

LOL, she won't touch mud! I can't even get her to finger paint. She hates to be messy. Sand is good. We really need to go to the beach more often. Bugs, no way! She would die! Of course she really wants a butterfly garden so I need to do that soon.

I consider necessary -

Beginning Phonics

Beginning Math skills

Beginning Handwriting

What I consider overkill -

Tears.

(Note - we do more because it works for my son.)

:iagree:

A lot of people feel SL P4/5 skips around a lot. You could just pick a book and read it all the way through. We followed the IG to the tee last time. I like reading from a variety of books during the week. However, when I do it again next year with my K'er, I'll read Uncle Wiggly from beginning to end instead of skipping around. It makes more sense with the teasers at the end of each story. It didn't matter to me with the other books so we'll just keep it the same.

My dd loves the Thames and Kosmos Little Labs. I did Five in a Row with my older and we really enjoyed that. The thing we liked the best was to go to the zoo twice a week, the park as often as possible, the apple orchard, the library every week, teach her to cook and make lots of cookies and cupcake and have lots of art experiences. Those plus phonics (LeapFrog phonics videos are great) make a great K year. You have older ones - you know that they will grow up too fast. K is a short, sweet season. Enjoy it. Follow her interest. Give yourself permission to enjoy her childhood.

Reading, math and handwriting instruction are my minimum requirements for K, but I do think reading aloud is extremely important as well. I use SL, but you could always just pick books you like out of their catalog or from Jim Trelease's Read-Aloud Handbook and be fine.

Lisa

Necessary? Reading with her, having her learning to write a bit, and number sense. Everything else we do I consider basic parenting.

I think 99% of what i see ppl doing here is gross overkill in the k-1 range. I think gr k-3 are best unschooled. It is amazing what kids learn via living life. And enriching life with them should not require "curriculum" or textbooks.

:iagree: I would add that if you can have some sort of music playing all the time for your family to listen to, that will enrich your life greatly for very little effort. And lots of simple art supplies if the desire is there. And mud.

a ton of "enrichment" materials. By enrichment I mean: art supplies, boardgames, puzzles, picture books, longer read alouds if the child likes them, field trips, and outside play and/or sport. Possibly throw in a musical instrument if the child is mature enough.

I don't think a particular curricula is all that important. Any phonics, handwriting, and math program will pretty much do.

Necessary:

Math

Penmanship

Phonics/reading

Everything else is gravy.

:iagree: and I approach these *gently* at the K level. My K'er does more because she's the youngest and she does what the rest of us are doing. But my 1st and 2nd graders didn't do much more than this last year.

So, the other necessities for us:

Dress-up clothes

A backyard or nearby park

Crayons, markers, paper

Little surprises periodically (pulling out the construction paper, puzzles, games or watercolors)

Friends to play with

Library

Read-alouds

Books on tape/CD

...and a nearby swimming pool is nice--for lessons or just for fun. :) We love our co-op and church families.

Thanks for all the opinions. I meant to add that we are part of a homeschool group as well as an early education sub group co-op. Our early ed. group will meet 2x a month with park days, field trips and co-op activities. Our HS group also does park days and larger field trips and we meet ps friends for playdates as well.

Next week we start an American Girl club for early learners, ages 5-8, based on Felicity this year. We'll be reading those books, doing crafts, etc. all geared toward younger girls.

My daughter also does cheer so she's at the gym 2-3 days a week and has met little friends there. That is her P.E.

I just want to add....

mud

sand

water

maybe some bugs

:D

You MUST have boys, LOL. I'm finding my ds in K is so SO different than my dd was. I always sort of cringed at that, "Oh boys are [fill in the blank]" or "It must be because she's a girl that [blah, blah, whatever]." And yet....he's so....different. And always, always, muddy, wet and buggy. :lol:

Just so as not to complete waste space in the OP's thread, I'm using MFW K for my ds - gentle, basic phonics intro, lots and lots of moving, wiggling and hands-on activities, lots of free time for playing outside, trying to get him to sit still long enough to listen to stories, and whatever fun stuff I can squeeze in between teaching the 4th grader and nursing the 1 yo. ;)

Honestly, I wish I could have known with dd what I know now - that just because she "could" do some stuff didn't mean she "should." Because all that time for playing...it goes by so fast. Much harder to find the time in 4th grade than it was in K-2.

:)

Melissa

a ton of "enrichment" materials. By enrichment I mean: art supplies, boardgames, puzzles, picture books, longer read alouds if the child likes them, field trips, and outside play and/or sport. Possibly throw in a musical instrument if the child is mature enough.

I don't think a particular curricula is all that important. Any phonics, handwriting, and math program will pretty much do.

:iagree: We only did the basics (meaning handwriting, phonics, counting) but threw in a lot of fun learning activities.

You can see by my signature what we are doing for K. Well, you got the most important stuff already covered with McRuffy.....the Phonics (which includes spelling and the Fancy Nancy handwriting :001_smile:), and Math. How about adding in the McRuffy K Science? It's gentle yet gives a bit of hands on for fun. Of, if you don't want everything to be McRuffy, you could look into the Science Excursion for K. In addition to these things, we basically just added in arts/crafts and Pianimals. But....in reality, all that you are already doing is probably just fine.

:iagree:

A lot of people feel SL P4/5 skips around a lot. You could just pick a book and read it all the way through. We followed the IG to the tee last time. I like reading from a variety of books during the week. However, when I do it again next year with my K'er, I'll read Uncle Wiggly from beginning to end instead of skipping around. It makes more sense with the teasers at the end of each story. It didn't matter to me with the other books so we'll just keep it the same.

I agree!

Guest Cindie2dds
Follow interests. Chase butterflies. Collect bugs and rocks. Go to the park. Get messy. Do real things. Read interesting stories.

:iagree: Yes, this!

We followed a loose Kindergarten Curricula (Oak Meadow) which helped us start our own messy, painting, coloring, nature discovery, reading, etc. You really don't need any curricula for K unless your state requires something.

Guest Cindie2dds

My daughter also does cheer so she's at the gym 2-3 days a week and has met little friends there. That is her P.E.

We do gymnastics and ballet for our PE. So much fun and cute at this age. :)

Angel,

I think you are doing great. Mcruffy is a well rounded program and should give your daughter a great opportunity for skill building.

I used SL 4/5 and did not like reading the books in snippets. We read them as we chose, without the schedule.

I don't know if you have seen this already but, a company called Handle on the Arts has coordinating activities/worksheets for some of the Sonlight cores.

They have a P 4/5 option and you can take a look at it here...

http://www.handleonthearts.com/cart/handson-activities-prek-4-and-5-c-24_28.html

PS~My daughter will be starting cheerleading this fall. I hope she likes it as much as your daughter! I totally get all the princess/Disney stuff, too!

A bit of reading, writing and math.

Lots of play! Lots of time sitting on Mommy's lap listening to good storybooks!

I don't keep any kind of reading schedule for K or under. I do keep a good control of books read by displaying beautiful picture books that I deem "good quality." (no twaddle here) I let them pick and choose.

If you don't want to hear other people's opinions I would suggest you stay off message boards. That's why they exist. It is my prerogative to express my opinion. :)

I agree, which is why I posted my initial opinion about your opinion! :D When you post your opinions, people will respond.

Edited by MissKNG

I only have one year of homeschooling under my belt, so take this with a grain of salt :)...

I have decided for my youngers I will skip the math curriculum in kindergarten. I might look into something like family math or Peggy Kaye games for math, but we will probably just play with manipulatives. Everything we covered in SM Earlybird last year will be covered again in first grade.

Typically one might respond to the subject, not go with a personal attack but by all means. Enjoy!

Like I said, I thought your comment was negative. That's my opinion. This is a message board where (like you said) opinions are stated.

If you wish to discuss this further with me, send a PM!:)

Thanks, most of the responses have been very helpful. Honestly the cheer was never in question. It is what she loves to do and is getting very good at her tumbling, etc. I did mention that she did it and put a PE label to it but really, it isn't considered a school subject. She tried ballet and didn't like it. This is her thing so we will keep on with that.

My real question was really if anything besides Math & Phonics (which our program includes handwriting) is necessary for K. She is absorbing all around her and thriving so I guess all is good there too. We may read the books in SL 4/5 or maybe I'll return them and just read other books to her. She does have plenty of opportunities to play and create so I guess all is good.

If you don't want to hear other people's opinions I would suggest you stay off message boards. That's why they exist. It is my prerogative to express my opinion. :)

Wow! As a fellow homeschooler, I would assume others would expect you keep negative comments to yourself.

If you look at her signature, seems she has plenty of parenting experience to know what's best for her family.

What works for one family may not work for another. My DD at 2 did dance classes twice a week. It was a way of getting some exercise and being with other little ones.

Angel, it's awesome that you have found so early what your DD is great at. We have tried many different things here and finally gave in this year to what my DD's "dream" is (horseback riding) now that she is 8.

Edited by parias1126

Wow! As a fellow homeschooler, I would assume others would expect you keep negative comments to yourself.

If you look at her signature, seems she has plenty of parenting experience to know what's best for her family.

What works for one family may not work for another. My DD at 2 did dance classes twice a week. It was a way of getting some exercise and being with other little ones.

Angel, it's awesome that you have found so early what your DD is great at. We have tried many different things here and finally gave in this year to what my DD's "dream" is (horseback riding) now that she is 8.

I can't imagine why you would assume that. I have never seen a single thread here which was not loaded with all sorts of opinions both good and bad, on topic and off. Clearly some of you are much more defensive than the OP herself, which is somewhat baffling. If she can ignore what doesnt apply to her so can you.

Edited by calandalsmom

I consider necessary -

Beginning Phonics

Beginning Math skills

Beginning Handwriting

:iagree::iagree:

I have learned (the hard way) that you cannot force your child to 'get' concepts. I have had to backtrack w/dd1 for trying to force more math than her little brain was ready for. dd2 is benefiting from poor dd1 guinea pig - I am moving at her pace (imagine that).

LOL! I bought and returned OM K earlier this summer. It did look good but I really didn't get it. Honestly, my daughter wants to learn to read and do some traditional school things so to not do that with her wouldn't be good for me. I do totally believe some of their philosophies though.

I considered and researched OM also. I realized right away that since I lived overseas at the time and would not be able to return it if it was not what I wanted, I would have to research it enough to make a decision. While researching OM and the Waldorf philosophy of education I realized that it was not for us. I have two Waldorf books and some things about their approach interest me but there are many things I did not agree with (for my family that is :)).

Edited by Guest

:iagree: Yep, that's the approach I take also.

I have not read the 5 pages of responses but for me maths and phonics/reading instruction are a must for the K year. Plenty of reading aloud from quality books is also good when it fits in. Anything more than that, art, craft, science, history, etc is whatever you and your family want it to be but isn't necessary and you certainly don't need to follow a curric to do it. Just my 0.02c :)