Menu

Porch Ceiling Color?

We have an old Victorian home with a large porch that has an octagonal wrap-around section at one side. We're currently in the midst of scraping and repainting all the trim-- spindles, railings, overhang, the works. All the trim is white and the floor (old tongue-and-groove flooring) is painted a dark federal bluish grey like the main house color. The ceiling has always been white.

It's kind of traditional for porch ceilings on old homes to be a very light blue, however. I think the tradition originated in the south, which we are NOT, but it's not unheard of around here as well. I've seen some lovely examples of painted porch ceilings and am thinking it might be nice to switch things up and paint our porch ceiling similarly. We are thinking of "Atmospheric Blue" from Sherwin Williams

Does anyone have a porch ceiling painted similarly? Have you ever seen this done? I'm kind of diggin' the idea, but a bit hesitant (it's the New England Traditionalist in me!)

Thanks,

astrid

It's a beautiful color to use. I've also seen this color used on the ceiling of Victorian porches. The houses were usually white, and the porch flooring natural wood or other colors.

http://www.myperfectcolor.com/Benjamin-Moore-2039-60-Seafoam-Green-p/mpc0004296.htm

But the color you've chosen would go better with your federal blue floor. :)

Why you should paint it blue....Painting the porch ceiling light blue, keeps yellow jackets from building nests in the corners of your porch. They think it's the sky. I know it sounds like an old wives tale, but it works. My sister's best friend is an exterminator, and told my sister about it. We are getting ready to paint ours blue as well.

Our old Victorian had a blue porch ceiling. Like other posters have mentioned, it keeps the birds and flying, stinging bugs from nesting in the corners. Plus, it is rather soothing when sitting in a rocking chair or porch swing after a long day of homeschooling and chores.

ETA: It's actually a Victorian tradition rather than a regional or southern tradition.

Edited by runmiarun

My understanding is that the blue color keeps the mud-daubers at bay. I researched it a bit when we were doing our farmhouse wrap around veranda (and we are sorta in the south) and found that any darker color will ward off the critters. We painted our floor and ceiling the green color that we have on some siding on our red brick home. The trim boards and the columns are painted white. It is interesting to see that the mud daubers try to build on the white trim, but they leave the ceiling alone.

When we were re-painting our garage this spring I told dh that I wanted to paint it cornflower blue (that's what I've seen as the traditional southern blue color) because we have so much trouble with the mud daubers building nests in the garage (previously white walls). He reluctantly agreed and we've had NO trouble with them. Guests think the garage is funky but when we explain they understand. Mud daubers are a problem for everyone in this area.

Go with the blue...even if you aren't southern.

ETA: It's actually a Victorian tradition rather than a regional or southern tradition.

We are certainly not southern and ours were blue - the house was built in the early 1800's. It's an old farmhouse though, and lots of them around here have light blue porch ceilings.

I vaguely remember hearing a more superstitious reason, but can't remember it right now.